Please sign in to post.

Campania Express Train

How is the service for the Campania Express Trains between Naples and Sorrento, regarding frecuency, cost, safety, purchasing methodology, reliability, etc., as an alternative to the Circumvesuviana? This would be in September 2018. Recommendations?

Posted by
1573 posts

Having taken the Circumvesuviana, with luggage, and standing almost all the way to Sorrento packed like Sardines, I would have gladly paid more. Had no worries about pick-pockets as they could not get to me, or if they did, they could not get away. Absolutely no room to move.

Posted by
15681 posts

IMHO, the Campania Express is only a viable option if you can make the timing work as its operation is so infrequent: only 4 daily departures from Naples and 6 from Sorrento. As you can see from the chart linked to the referenced thread, there are more departures from Pompeii and some other locations but some of those trains terminate before Naples or Sorrento.

The Circumvesuviana runs much, much more frequently. If you haven't found those schedules yet, here they are (note that you have to hit the "next" arrow on the far right top of each to see full schedules):

Naples to Sorrento and points in between:
http://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/naples-to-sorrento-train-schedule

Sorrento to Naples and points in between:
http://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/naples-to-sorrento-train-schedule?bus_route=sorrento_napoli

Referencing your previous post about a 6:30 AM flight from Naples, I'd definitely consider staying there versus Sorrento the night prior. We had to take an expensive, o-dark-thirty private transfer for an early flight and it's no fun: we wished in hindsight that we'd transferred to Naples in the early evening the night before to have gotten a few more zzzzz's and saved some $.

Posted by
1 posts

My wife and I rode both the Campania Express and Circumvesuviana last week and had no problems on either train. I think the Campania Express was a better option when we traveled through Naples Centrale station with all our luggage, but the Circumvesuviana was our only choice the other times because we stayed in St. Agnello and the CE doen't stop there. In most cases the Circumvesuviana is a better value because the fare is lower and it seemed completely safe---never saw any thieves or shady characters. Yes, the Circumvesuviana is old, rickety, graffiti-covered and full of commuters. Just use extra caution near Naples and try to avoid it during rush hours. If you need help, just ask a local. The people were friendly and helpful, even if you don't speak Italian.