Please sign in to post.

Campania Express 2018 Timetable has been posted and is operational

Hi there
Here is the 2018 Campania Express Timetable for the alternative train service between Naples and Sorrento, https://www.eavsrl.it/web/content/campania-express-2018-it if you have been researching your options.
Not nearly as many time options compared to Circumvesuviana which I will be using with my kids in mid April.

Happy traveling

Posted by
20103 posts

Says right on the schedule. Today is the first day and it goes until Oct 14.

Posted by
59 posts

Thanks for posting! I've been waiting for this schedule to finalize some details for my trip in June. Now I just have to figure it out!

Posted by
18 posts

Do you know if there is a need to pre buy tickets and if so can it be done online. I went to the web page but don't see anything about buying tickets online.

Thanks,
susan

Posted by
32212 posts

It's nice to see that the Campania Express is operating already. Thanks for posting!

Posted by
15810 posts

Kudos for posting this, Sairz. It's nice that they published the schedule/began operating earlier than past years. This train does have a very limited amount of runs compared to the Circumvesuviana, though, so doesn't work well for everyone.

Posted by
1949 posts

Yeah, I'd second that, Kathy.

I'd recommend the Campania Express if you have your bags to tote, but it only runs what looks like 4-5 trips a day. The Circumvesuviana runs probably every half-hour for at least 14 hours a day, and if it matters it's about a third of the cost of the Campania. Only thing is it if it's after dark, I'd find some other means of transport, similar in a way to any big city subway here in the States.

Posted by
203 posts

We will have bags to tote and I've been reading some horror stories about the Circumvesuviana. What are everyone's thoughts on the differences between these two train services? I know cost...............

Posted by
1949 posts

Nah, cost isn't that different. One-way for two, you'll pay (I think) 12 Euro on the Circumvesuviana and 30-35 on the Campania.

It just depends on your comfort level. If you're coming in the middle of the day right to Naples Centrale, even with bags I'd give it a shot. Only problem is if it's packed to the gills, with your bags it's a situation ripe to be pickpocketed. You could be fine, however. The four times we rode it last March between Naples (or Pompei) and Sorrento were during the day, without bags, and the CV was only about half to three-quarters full. No problem except for the occasional wandering drunk musician/panhandler, more of an amusement than anything else. Everyone just ignored them.

If you're coming in after dark, however, with bags, I'd bite the bullet and hire a driver if it's too late for the Campania Express' last run of the day.

Posted by
1 posts

I will be arriving from Rome by the high speed train. What station should I depart the high speed train in order to get on the Campania Express to Sorrento?

Posted by
15174 posts

Well, itโ€™s only one spruced up Circumvesuviana train that goes back and forth during non commute hours.

So canโ€™t expect more that a few runs a day in either direction.

Considering that this service runs major losses every year, which have to be covered by the local taxpayers, I think all of you who use it should contribute back to the local community by having at least one full wallet pickpocketed on the regular Circumvesuviana.

Posted by
15810 posts

LOL, Roberto!

But what he says is true: the locals are unhappy with a spruced-up Express train that doesn't have enough runs to coordinate with daily work commutes. Taxpayer $$ are essentially subsidizing a more comfortable, more expensive train that largely benefits only the tourists and is losing money while they're left to manage with the bare-bones Circumvesuviana. They're entitled to be a little cranky about that.

If you've taken commuter rail transport in any number of urban cities, you will understand the Circ. trains. They're sort of like the "L" in Chicago, the Tube in London, the Metro in Paris, the subway in New York, etc. They have zero for frills but get the job done and move many, many people every day. They can be standing-room only, have some interesting passengers, and you need to watch your valuables on them just as you should on ANY urban transport in Italian or other European, or even American, cities.

It comes down to how quickly you want to get from Naples to Sorrento, what sort of comfort you want to do that in, and/or what you're willing pay to do it.

Most expensive, comfortable door-to-door service ? Private driver.

Reasonably cheap and comfortable but with risk of long waits for one of only 4 trains per day? Campania Express. You may also have to use an additional form of transport if your accommodation isn't (what you'd consider) walking distance from the train station.

Most inexpensive, least comfortable but the most frequent trains? Circumvesuviana. The same potential need for additional transport from train station to hotel applies.

What station should I depart the high speed train in order to get on
the Campania Express to Sorrento?

You want Napoli Garibaldi station for the Campania Express or the Circumvesuviana. It's connected to Napoli Centrale so follow the signs inside the station.

Posted by
23268 posts

Kathy is correct.
....We will have bags to tote and I've been reading some horror stories about the Circumvesuviana. ....
What are your horror stories ????? It can be hot, very crowded, a little clunky and everyone "talks" about the potential for pcikpockets but -- personally -- don't think it is any higher than other areas of Italy. We have only been on it four times - non rush hour - and it was fine. Never saw a pickpocket. No horror story to tell. Better than the New York subways. Closer to the Chicago "L" in physical nature.

Posted by
4637 posts

One more question: does Campania Express run on the same tracks as Circumvesuviana or has its own tracks?