Please sign in to post.

Best of Rome in 7 Days (October 8-14, 2023): Added Day Trip to Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa

Hello,

My wife and I are on the Best of Rome Tour starting on October 8.

If you will also be on this tour, we'd welcome the opportunity to connect with you before October.

If you have taken this tour before, or visited Rome on other trips, I have so many questions. Here's one...

We are planning to stay for some extra days after the tour concludes on Saturday, October 14. We are thinking about doing a day trip to Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa. In looking at reviews of available tours (Tours by Locals, Viator, Get Your Guide, etc.), many travelers have cautioned that they just did not have enough time at either site. (1) Any advice on tour options where we would not be herded and rushed? (2) Some travelers have noted that it's really not possible to see both sites in Tivoli in one day. We are most interested in Villa d'Este. Any advice or suggestions on finding or arranging a tour of Villa d'Este so we'd have time to really enjoy it? If you were planning a day trip to Villa d'Este, how would you do it?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Posted by
959 posts

If you’re concerned about the amount of time allowed on private tours why not just take public transportation and then you’re not limited. We spent an hour at Hadrian’s Villa on RS Best of SI and saw most of it.

Posted by
956 posts

You can do the gardens yourself by train or bus from Rome to Tivoli and then walk to the Gardens. Hadrian’s Villa is a place where I would want to spend the day, a two hour stop on RS’s South Italy tour was just enough to whet my appetite!

Posted by
31 posts

Interesting. Thanks.
The bus looks like a good option.

The RS Rome Guide says that the Tivoli train station isn't convenient to either site. But, on the map, it doesn't seem that far.

Has anyone taken the train? How do you get from the train station to the Villa d'Este entrance?

Posted by
1056 posts

I was researching this as a possible daytrip for a visit to Rome in November.

On Google maps it's a 14 minute walk from the train station - there appears to be a footbridge across the body of water that separates the stazione from the site:

Shared route
From Stazione FS di Tivoli, Via Sant'Agnese, 75, 00019 Tivoli RM, Italy to The Courtyard of the Villa via SR5.

14 min (1.1 km)
To see this route visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/LQqeMmwJ4n3cCMdk9

You can also take a bus from the train station.

Hadrian's Villa is harder to reach as it's farther away from the town center - probably farther than you'd like to walk. It should be bus line #4 from the train station,

Sometimes local transportation is easier to figure out once you're there on the ground.

Trenitalia offers a combined train/bus ticket:
https://www.trenitalia.com/it/treni_regionali/lazio/ville-di-tivoli-link.html