Please sign in to post.

Azamara Cruise to Italy April 2025

My wife and myself will be traveling to Italy, for the first time, and embarking on the Azamara Quest for a 12-day cruise. The ship embarks in Rome and disembarks in Venice. We would like to spend 2 days in Rome prior to the cruise and 2 days in Venice after the cruise. Seems cheapest flights are roundtrip to Rome. Is it easy to get to the international airport in Rome (FCO) via train? We would also appreciate advice on a private guide when in Rome and Venice. Recommendations on lodging and eating while in those cities. Any additional recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Posted by
8548 posts

What a fun trip to look forward to. I’ve only heard great things about Azamara.

Do you have a budget we should aim for on hotel recommendations? Train from Venice to FCO works well.

Posted by
16007 posts

Welcome to the forums, ajc33414 -
Your question about a private guide? This may be a good place to start:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/rome-private-tour-guides-55d9f82d-c7c6-4831-a8fc-76e087547058

Yes, it's very easy to get to/from airport by Leonardo Express train:
https://www.trenitalia.com/en/services/leonardo-express.html

Additionally, you can take a taxi to/from central Rome for € 50,00 or so. Some travelers prefer this method as a cab can get them closer to their accommodation (but not always to the doorstep depending on if it's in a pedestrian area):
https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma-en/pax-fco-taxi

Lodging: do you have a per-night budget you're working with?

Posted by
3 posts

As far as hotel budget we are trying to stay between $200 and $300 US Dollars.

Posted by
5018 posts

Recommendations on...eating

Many canal side places in Venice are lacking in quality, but not lacking for prices. There is an exception. It is Trattoria Da Giorgia ai Greci. It is very close to San Marco, but well away from the crowds, and has really good food.

Trattoria Da Marco Valla Fava on Calle Stagneri is in the Rialto Bridge area. It is a bit on the pricey side, so you might want to do lunch rather than dinner. Some of the best sea food ever!! Try to eat inside rather than outside. The place has been around at least 50 years so they must be doing it right. Never had to have a reservation for lunch.

Also in the Rialto area (but on the other side of the Grand Canal) when walking to Piazzale Roma is an out of the way place named Pane Vino e San Daniele on Calle Dei Boteri. Definitely a hole in the wall local place, good food, good house wine, and not expensive at all.

Posted by
79 posts

We took our first cruise with Azamara last year and sailed the coast of Croatia, departing and ending in Chioggia (Venice). My wife has NEVER wanted to cruise...we just booked another with them for the Fall!
If your boat docks in Chioggia, I would recommend staying there for at least one overnight. It's a lovely, smaller version of Venice where the locals live. Hotel and restaurant prices are very reasonable. From there you can move on to Venice proper very easily by bus.

Posted by
3 posts

Already tried it but unfortunately no rooms available, We made a reservation at Nikis Collection Navona for 703 Euros. Has anyone stayed at this hotel?