Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast

Could use some recommendations for best place to stay on the Amalfi Coast, considering Amalfi itself for central location.

Posted by
11747 posts

What time of year?

How long will you be there?

What do you plan to do?

How do you plan to travel there?

Posted by
3 posts

October for 7 nights, we'll drive from Rome. We plan to take day trips to each of the nearby cities, we'll book private or tours rather than drive in most cases.

Posted by
15773 posts

In early October, I would not want to have a car, and I'[m not sure even late October would be feasible. Access to most of the AC is by a single road that runs the length of the coast. The road is narrow and goes along the coast, so there are lots of ups and downs and many curves, some of them very tight. It's nearly impossible to pass another vehicle unless it pulls over for you. In some places the bus stop is on the road, so all the traffic behind the bus comes to a halt as well. In tourist season, there are a lot of tour buses and cars along with the public buses. The towns are small and parking is very limited and expensive. Ferries are often faster. If you find a place to stay that has parking, you will probably end up leaving the car there and using buses and ferries to get around.

For more about the driving experience, read about my experience here. Note that I was there in February, when there is very little tourist traffic.

Posted by
7061 posts

If you don’t plan on using the the car while there-and I would never- why bring it?

We enjoyed our time in Amalfi very much
Transportation hub for bus and ferry (if running)

Consider train to Salerno from Rome
Then bus ferry or driver to Amalfi

We split our time between Sorrento 4, Amalfi 2 Ravello 1 and Salerno 2
All were wonderful

Day tripped Pompeii, Capri, Positano, Paestum

Figure out what you actually want to see and do while on Amalfi Coat and choose base or 2 that makes sense
Figuring out how you’ll get to and from will be a priority and should help you pinpoint the best base for your plans

A car would be a big scary hassle iMO

Posted by
3262 posts

I’ve been to the Amalfi Coast twice by car. Both times in December and as a stop-off from Sicily to Rome and Naples to Paestum. To me a car on the Amalfi Coast is a liability. Other trips were longer in September and October with no car. From Rome, I would take the train to Salerno and arrive in Amalfi by ferry or bus. Definitely use the town of Amalfi as a hub to see the rest of the Coast, Capri, Paestum, Pompeii. I stayed at the wonderful, small family run Villa Annalara . Large comfortable rooms, huge terrace overlooking the town and ocean, just a short walk to the transportation area.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you everyone for the feedback! If I am hearing correctly, driving and parking the car for the duration is not recommended? It does seem like a lot of navigating other modes of transportation with luggage and I really wanted to stop in a small city south of Rome where my family is from.

We have decided to stay in Amalfi as the hub...it seems centrally located. Did anyone who did the same have any issues booking tours? I noticed they leave from Positano or Sorrento. Thoughts and/or experience?

Thank you!!!

Posted by
15773 posts

The easiest way to get to Amalfi is probably to take a fast train from Rome to Salerno, then ferry or bus to Amalfi. Google SITA for the bus schedule. Salerno is the end of the line and the bus stops at the train station. The ferry pier is a 5-10 minute walk from the train on level ground and well-paved. I think you can book the ferry in advance.

Posted by
4836 posts

Then keep the car for the visit to the town south of Rome and drop it in Salerno, then ferry to Amalfi.