Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Lucca

Wow...they've all gotten do pricey. Any good recommendations out there?
Grazie.

Posted by
8667 posts

This will be the reality following the pandemic.

Owners trying to survive.

What room rate are you comfortable with?

Posted by
11156 posts

We liked our stay at Palazzo Hotel Alexander which included parking. They came out and took our car to their lot.
Friends loved BnB Romea.

Posted by
3951 posts

It’s been a few years ago but we were traveling around Northern Italy by train so we booked a double room at Hotel Rex. It was surprisingly comfortable, convenient and inexpensive. I see that it is 90€ per night for a random date in June. I don’t know your travel dates or amount of time you want to spend in Lucca or I might have a different suggestion.

Posted by
1669 posts

You haven't answered. What is too pricey? Price out hotels in your hometown in locations you would stay and convert to euros. You will get your range. The below 100 euro hotel will soon be a thing of the past.

Posted by
1025 posts

I share Threadwear’s sentiments. What is too pricey?

I recently booked a room in Santa Rosa, California for a night. A nice, well managed hotel room costs between $165 to $200 per night. Some have breakfast included, and others don’t. For San Francisco, decent hotels run from $150 to $250, and in San Luis Obispo, the rates are often higher.

The under 100 euro “finds” are a thing of the past, but you can console yourself with the fact that a decent glass of wine can be had for 5 euros and a great pizza can be scored for under 10 euros.

I have a friend who insists that when he budgets 250 euros for a hotel, he is never disappointed. I tend to go for much less than that amount and am usually quite satisfied.

Posted by
116 posts

It's been 6 years or so for me, but I stayed there last at Hotel Melecchi which is just outside of the wall. It was about a 3-4 minute cab ride from the train station and a 3-4 minute walk from Porte Elisa. It was very clean, very well run, with a roof deck and a great host/owner named Giovanni who catered to every need. He spoke English as well. I booked one night through either Expedia or Booking.com or some other service, and then extended two other nights for a reduced rate.

Posted by
7280 posts

I stayed at the B&B Anfiteatro when I was there in 2018. It is on the lane directly behind the anfiteatro. Just did a search on Booking.com for June 21, and it’s under 100 Euro. The room was spacious, and a nice bathroom.

It’s not a typical B&B - more like B&B rooms with a common first room, but the breakfast part of it is just going to the restaurant next door that they also own (great pizza!). It isn’t the hospitality of a B&B, but I was happy with the room & location. If you stay there, just stop into the restaurant to check in if no one answers the door of the B&B.

Posted by
39 posts

We stayed at La Romea B&B in the historic heart of Lucca easy walking distance to the city walls, cathedral, gelato shops. The building is also historic from 14th century, every room is different, some with fresco walls or ceilings. The amenities are modern, private bath, WiFi, etc. The dining area is lovely, breakfast is delicious, hosts are helpful and kind. We would highly recommend!

Posted by
46 posts

We stayed in an apartment that we found on Booking.com. It was a fantastic apartment and very reasonable, we stayed for 2 weeks. Check out tripadvisor and booking.com.

Posted by
7357 posts

Well, I just booked us 3 nights at La Boheme B&B, recommended in Rick Steves’ guidebook. Sounds wonderful, and this fall it’s just €112 per night. They offer a 10% Rick Steves discount, when paid in cash. With breakfast for two included, and the current exchange rate, and if it drops further in the next 4 months, it could be very close to that Under $100 “find” category!