Please sign in to post.

Dublin Bus

So my understand is you can buy a ticket on the bus but must have exact change as bus driver does not give change. In trying to determine how much a ticket cost I see it goes by Stages. However, it doesn't seem clear as to what the stages are. Also I don't see where you can buy single tickets anywhere before you get on the bus. Since we will only be in Dublin 2 days I don's think the Leap card is worth it nor the Go Dublin. We don't want to do the hop on buses either as we are going places off the beaten path. Does anyone have a suggestion as the best way way to know the price of a bus ticket before we get on one so we have the exact change?

Posted by
14940 posts

Don't try to catch one if you are in a hurry. If the driver doesn't want to stop, they will look at you and keep driving. Happened to me twice.

Posted by
48 posts

The Transport for Ireland site https://www.transportforireland.ie will give you the exact fare for any trip if you know your start and end points. I used the bus several times during my last trip to Ireland and the fares on the site were spot on. Once you enter your details, the next screen shows the travel options. You'll see a little euro symbol, click that to see the fares (it shows cash vs leap card fares as well). And, yes, the drivers are a bit gruff, but a quick hello and having your change ready usually earns a smile.

Posted by
141 posts

Thanks, Tammie! That link was helpful for my upcoming trip.

Posted by
48 posts

Great! I found it really handy (and accurate!) when I went last year.