Please sign in to post.

Budapest hotel recommendations?

Hello! Do you have any recommendations in Budapest for 2 female first time visitors (40yo and 64yo females)?

Posted by
72 posts

I stayed at the Sofitel by the chain bridge. Great location and wonderful hotel

Posted by
17919 posts

The sofitel by the chain bridge is no more. Not sure what it will be when the construction is done.

Sheena, when are you coming and for how many nights. It can make difference because of what is going on it town and how much time you have for the standard tourist fare vs other apsects of the city.

Posted by
17919 posts

Okay, if you haven't changed your plans and it's still 3 nights after a late arrival from Bratislava, and in April, then I would say the Intercontinental or the Marriott on the river. You have 2 days to see a city the size of Chicago with a population close to that of Houston so spend it working the river and close inland sites and Buda Castle Hill. The river hotels are good for that and the views are spectacular.

Posted by
15007 posts

I stayed at the Hotel Moments.

Lovely hotel. Excellent location. Great breakfast. Coffee/Tea/Filtered water available in the lobby for free at all times.

Posted by
4078 posts

And if budget is more of a concern, the K+K Opera is nice and usually cheaper. And convenient to the M1.

Posted by
92 posts

Hello! We're looking at 2 nights the second week in May. I know it's not much time, but it's at least a start to seeing that area of Europe...limited number of days that I can be on vacation from work. :(

Posted by
17919 posts

The Intercontinental or the Marriott on the river. I think on the river will make the best of two days and giving you directions from there will be very easy (if you want some ideas, a new tread and I will give you my two cents).

This is about halfway between, and in front of the two hotels https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/09/3e/f5/89/dunacorso-etterem.jpg Or during the day https://www.dunacorso.hu/gfx/content/magunkrol_1.jpg

That tram going by will take you to the Great Market Hall at one end, and with one change to the Dohany street (Great) Synagogue.

In the other direction the tram goes to the Parliament building. Out front and a bit to the right is the Chain Bridge for a walk to the Buda Castle District.

Out back of the two hotels is Vorosmarty ter (square) where the M1 station is located. That will get you to the Opera House, House of Terror, City Park, Heroe's square and Andrassy ut in general.

If those two hotels are out of your price range, then the Hotel Moments is also very nice, but without the view and with some slightly longer walks. From there you will either walk or take the M1 metro and then walk, to get to the front of the before mentioned to hotels to see all the things just mentioned. About 10 minutes at most and a pretty walk. The hotel moments is the building behind the yellow car: https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5008731,19.0567321,3a,90y,256.11h,114.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syiMc6IIKWRXytScl7vlwIg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?authuser=0&entry=ttu That construction is currently going on, but its not bad. You can use the link to walk up and down Andrassy ut. Beautiful street.

Oh, and I have stayed at the K+K a number of times and its nice too. and if you arent on the river, then the K+K only means about 5 more minutes on the underground metro than the Hotel Moments. The advantage of the K+K is it is near the Opera House and that stretch of Andrassy is beautiful especially in the evening. Lots of restaurants and walking places and my favorire wine bar and my house for that matter. https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5021038,19.0585768,3a,75y,45.05h,95.33t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sePXzufLw2SLImrN5tK-x8w!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DePXzufLw2SLImrN5tK-x8w%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D6.8982797%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?authuser=0&entry=ttu Okay, i see it every day and i forget how beautiful it is here. The K+K is at the end of the side street that runs up the left side of the opera house. Great location

And the other building is the new W Hotel in an amazing old landmark building. In good weather i sit on their terrace all day nursing one glass of wine and people watching. Stunning location

Posted by
17919 posts

And everyone has different taste and interests, so I wont say you are wrong, but if you are missing even one hour out of Budapest because of a trip to Bratislava then I would suspect the majority of the tourists would regret that decision.

Posted by
17919 posts

Back to the hotel.

For hitting a lot of the top 10, the river hotels.

For food, wine, strolls in the evening ... the K+K
For compromise the Moments.

Budget not an issue? The W.

Posted by
17919 posts

The construction around it is a tad inconvenient, but not so much to rule it out. And a darn nice Gin Bar. And wonderfully convenient to Andrassy and my favorite haunts. Okay, I live 300 feet from it

Posted by
55 posts

Staying at the Casati Hotel in August. Hoping to hang at Mr. E's favorite wine bar near our hotel. Maybe Mr. E will be there?!?

Posted by
17919 posts

The next time someone comes for the second time, will be here 5 nights, has a large budget: try the Hotel President. But not for a first visit.

Posted by
28 posts

Mr. E, We will also be in staying at the Casati Hotel in Budapest in April (18-22). If you could share the list of things in the area of the Casati Hotel that you provided to Barbara, we would be most appreciative. Your posts on this forum have been extremely helpful. Thanks.

Posted by
4 posts

Mr . E, would you share with us as well, we will be there in early december for the Christmas markets that we missed a couple of years ago due to Covid. Thanks

Posted by
4078 posts

Mr. É, I am really feeling like you should write a Budapest travel guide and sell it on kindle…..