Any chance of cancellation?
who knows what will happen by July. I have a trip planned for July to Germany (GP) and Austria (Salzburg). I am actually unraveling those plans as the anxiety of having a fully booked vacation for this summer is weighing heavily on my group (5 female travelers age 50-66). I have already started to cancel hotels while they are still free. I may be premature here, but its just one more thing to scratch off my worry list. We will take care of the flight changes later when we can make a more informed decision in May/June time frame.
Thank you Joe...yes this is the site I've been monitoring. It sounds like Angela Merkel, however, will not be happy with 7-8,000 people in that venue each day. Maybe by May things will be different. My problem is the Play is connected at the end of a
Danube Riverboat cruise....I don't want to cancel that either!
Ironic, since the Passion Play was created in response to the people of Oberammagau surviving the Black Plague.
It is a wonderful play, so I hope you can make it. Perhaps the warm weather will curtail the virus.
Think it is less Angela Merkel but all of us will currently not be happy about events with few thousand visitors.
Just as info: your relevant decision is finally taken by prime minister of Bavaria, Markus Söder.
Thank you for the info regarding the Prime Minister!
The ironic part of the reason for the original Passion Play, I also agree with.
I don't think this beautiful little village will give up their even too easily!
Lets get through EOM April. Maybe Schengen has a travel ban from the US then?
Thank you, I am just looking for something more to stress about, I think! I just don't want to miss the P P.
If you have tickets to the Passion Play you need to consider the following that has just happened with me.
I booked thru the Passion Play website a 1 night package including meals, accommodations, and ticket for the May 17th performance. I purchased my package on October 29th. I could not just book a ticket as the play ends about 1/2 hour after the last train leaves the city.
I was scheduled to leave for a 10 week trip to Europe on March 13th and I decided the day before to cancel my trip due to the U.S. State Department warning and advise from friends living in Europe as to what was happening locally. In just a week what I thought would happen is happening with borders being shut down to tourism and having to limit movement. Plus I was looking at a 14 day quarantine for my 4 day trip to Malta.
I've cancelled my booking, but because they say it was 60 days prior to the event date, I have to pay a 80% penalty of the $435 total cost (make sure you read the small print on the documents they send you.) One saving grace might be that I also purchased the insurance they recommended. I purchased my package and insurance well ahead of anyone knowing about COVID-19.
It's hard to tell what July will bring. As I've read in many other posts......it's a personal decision for every you to make based upon your situation.
I don't think it's a personal decision any more. If the crisis persists travel bans will persist too. So it's probably better to not cancel the tickets too early since they will have to refund them if the booked event cannot take place. Decisions on that are to be expected not before mid April. However, I don't see any official source saying that we will back to normality by mid May.
Thank you, I'm thinking the same thing and shall wait and see what we here from the Tour Co.
Delta is allowing rescheduling flights for those booked through April 30, I believe. This may be extended. Who knows how many times it will be extended. We have a flight to London and then other to East Africa for a safari in July and are waiting to make our decision.
Our flight is with Lufthansa, June 23....I'm feeling a little less stressed reading all of you with your wait-and-see replies. Thanks!
Can't speak to the accuracy of it, but reportedly it has been postponed until 2022. Link to source is https://www.european-traveler.com/germany/...
Yes see my post this morning. https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/germany/passion-play-postponed-until-2022
Ooops! Didn't see the earlier post.