Please sign in to post.

Passion Play postponed until 2022

We received an email this morning telling us that the Passion Play has been postponed from 2020 to 2022. We had tickets for August, flight and hotel. We’ll change our play reservation to 2022 but still go to Bavaria this summer if we can. https://www.passionsspiele-oberammergau.de/de/startseite

Posted by
304 posts

I just got the email. At least it’s not cancelled altogether. I’ll transfer my package to the 2022 dates.

It is ironic. I’ve thought of that myself in the last few weeks

Posted by
7 posts

Glad to hear your decisions. Are you with tour companies or on your own? I may be at the mercy of my tour company as to weather I can postpone entire trip for 2 years.

Posted by
3948 posts

Wewords1 we are on our own with a 3 week house exchange near Lake Ammersee so we’ll see if that will still be possible and then deal with that and our flights this summer. We cancelled our 2 night Oberammergau hotel this morning. It is too early to rebook for 2022. Good luck with your tour company.

Posted by
3948 posts

I have tried to stay optimistic but I have said “if that will still be possible” and “if we can”. I haven’t had the heart to contact our exchange family who want to come visit their daughter in the US this summer. We will go only if it safe for all of us in late July -August 2020.

Posted by
13905 posts

Thanks Mona for the update.

Posted by
27 posts

I waited 10 years to see it, just got the email this morning that it was canceled.
I've never been more disappointed. I know it's really not that big of a deal, but it was the reason our family was going to Germany this summer.
So so sad right now. :(

Posted by
991 posts

I have already canceled hotels for Bavaria for a July/August trip. My group of 5 female travelers (age 53-66) will just not be going. I could stay in the UK to visit family, but I doubt that will be an option either.

Margaret

Posted by
304 posts

I’m on my own so. I tour to worry about. I was going in late May. I was still holding out hope but the likelihood was getting less and less. I’ll cancel my hotels in a day or two. I just started working at home today and went through an earthquake yesterday so just don’t feel up to doing the cancelling just yet. I’ll just consider the cost of my ticket to the opera in Vienna a donation. Arts organizations are going to be hurting. The flights can wait a bit too. The airlines phone systems are so busy right now.

Posted by
5697 posts

Bizarre that a play put on to give thanks for deliverance from a plague should be sidelined by ... another plague. Best wishes for your replacement trip.

Posted by
4684 posts

Hopefully by that time it will be time to thank the deity of your choice for deliverance from a plague once again.

Yes, I got the email today. Will be getting a refund. If I decide to go again, will purchase again. I had no issues getting tickets for this year in January. According to the link, I have to fill out that one page form and return with my tickets. They mentioned in their email about more communication April 6th. Are you guys going ahead and mailing in now, or waiting?

Posted by
3948 posts

We are waiting until well after April 6 to do something about tickets since I imagine they’ll be super busy. We weren’t going until August so we have time. We’re pretty sure (as much as any of us can be) that we can get to Bavaria again in 2022 but we have no idea about specific date commitments. We usually plan about a year in advance not two!

Posted by
304 posts

I need to decide on new dates. I don’t think there’s a rush.

Posted by
50 posts

I realized it the moment when a friend of mine, also actor in the play, shaved his hair and beard :D :D

Posted by
10176 posts

That performance in 2022 will be very powerful for both the actors and spectators.