Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest 2024, Where To Stay?

We are planning to meet family in Munich to go to Oktoberfest next year. We’ve been to Munich a couple of times and don’t want to spend any more time than 2 nights in the area. We will be coming from either Switzerland or possibility the Bodensee area and would be flying to Budapest afterwards. The family members would either be coming to Munich from the U.S., then going to Italy, or visa versa. I know Munich will be expensive for lodging and was thinking that we might be better off staying near the airport. The only time I’ve been to the airport other than changing planes we had a car and drove there. Would public transportation between the airport and the city be feasible? I’m open to other suggestions for reasonable places to stay with good airport access. Thanks!

Posted by
6641 posts

Freising is a pleasant small town just outside the airport with good rail connections to Munich and to MUC airport. I would look there first and book very early. Figure 30-45 minutes on the train to Munich central station.

Several minutes further from Munich and MUC airport on the same train line as Freising is Landshut, another outstanding town. The added distance may make for more affordable rooms. Your trip into Munich from here will take 45-50 minutes by regional train.

Posted by
304 posts

If you decide on Freising, Bayerischer Hof Freising is a hotel I’ve seen recommended here on the forum.

I stayed there myself last year, and will be staying again in October on a long layover through Munich.

Very convenient by train from Munich and the airport. It’s a bit of a walk from the train station in Freising though (~ half a mile).

Posted by
7667 posts

If you can't find a hotel in Munich, consider staying in Augsburg (50 miles west of Munich). Just take the train in every day, it is a short ride.

Posted by
10224 posts

Thanks for the suggestions Russ and mln.

Geovagriffith, thanks for responding. I considered Augsburg when we were going to be in Bavaria for 4 nights in 2020, with one day at Oktoberfest. In this scenario it doesn’t make any sense when we will have only one day for Oktoberfest and airport access will be important for us.

Posted by
980 posts

I agree Freising, bus from the airport and S-bahn into the city or Landshut direct regional train to/from the airport and city (hourly train service) are great suggestions.

DJ

Posted by
10224 posts

Thanks DJ. I think Freising is the best possibility so far. I will have a FaceTime call with the other travelers this weekend and hopefully they can tell me their plans (I know not everyone plans so far in advance as I do!) so I can get a better idea of what will work for them.

Posted by
450 posts

We lived near Freising for a brief time and found it very easy to get into town from there.

Posted by
8381 posts

I faced the same issue for 2023. I found the hotel prices in Central Munich way beyond my budget. We are currently at Hotel Gastof Maisberger in Neufahrn. About 10 minutes away from the airport in the S1 and about 40-45 from Central Munich. Our rooms are clean and large and reasonably priced. I am paying 121 euros/night at their higher “Oktoberfest” rates.

The hotel is traditional and it is located directly next to the S Bahn Station. The community nearby is pleasant and very walkable. This has worked well for our needs and I would suggest is a great hotel for either a night before a flight or for when Central Munich is on a price frenzy.

Posted by
32762 posts

will you have a car during the Munich time, Andrea?

Posted by
10224 posts

Hi Nigel, I don’t expect we will have a car. The plan is that prior to Oktoberfest Jim and I will be in Switzerland and depending on the timing possibly the Bodensee/Lake Constance.

Posted by
32762 posts

we have a fav hotel in Feldkirchen - the Bauer - which is midway between Munich and Erding. We could walk or take the bus the short distance from the S-Bahn but prefer to drive.

I don't know if Feldkirchen is too close to the Wiesn.

https://www.bauerhotel.de/home/