Please sign in to post.

Flea Market in Munich?

Hi gang,

Has anyone found a good flea market in Munich on par with the one in Vienna that's along the river?
I recall Christa at one point trying to find one, but that may have been in Berlin.

Posted by
5384 posts

I’m not aware of a flea market in Vienna along the river.

Posted by
8443 posts

Maybe you're referring to the Naschmarkt in Vienna? Its not strictly a flea market, maybe once a weeK?

Posted by
256 posts

Yes, the Naschmarkt in Vienna is what I am thinking of. Sundays, if memory serves.

I was hoping to find something like that in Munich.

Posted by
5581 posts

Isn't the Naschmarkt open every day? Or is there a flea market portion only open certain days? Of course, I seem to end up there when the whole thing is closed! The last time I was in Vienna, I went over to the Naschmarkt after a visit to Schonbrunn and discovered it was closed for Epiphany. I love the markets in Europe, but there seems to be some conspiracy to keep me out of the Naschmarkt! We did actually gets some super cool photos of the closed market/grafitti/art nouveau buildings

Posted by
5384 posts

Naschmarkt is closed every Sunday and all holidays. Otherwise it is open every day. The flea market at Naschmarkt only happens on Saturdays. There are so many better markets than the Naschmarkt. These days, sadly, it is just a load of tourist junk. The flea market is also junk pulled out of dumpsters or dealers preying on tourists with ridiculous prices. Definitely a miss.

Posted by
5581 posts

Good info, Emily. I don't love the Naschmarkt so much for the merchandise, but for the "atmosphere" and photo opportunities. But, then I'm not a shopper, in general, and I don't bring many souvenirs home from any of my travels. I feel the setting is nice.

Posted by
19092 posts

If you Google "Flohmarkt Muenchen", you'll find a lot of information about flea markets in Munich, unfortunately mostly in German, but some in English. Looks like there is a big one in Theresienwiese, but only once a year, in April. Looks like the Bavarian Red Cross has one every Friday and Saturday (ex holidays) in Olympian Park.

Posted by
14507 posts

If you're going to Berlin before or after, I can tell you where such a market is located which takes place on Sat and Sunday. I have been there a few times over the years, plus one in Magdeburg.

Posted by
2602 posts

Todd--It was in Munich--I had a list of about 5 markets, but as Saturday was my last day there, and the temperature was around 90 AND I was on day 6 of a horribly painful bout of spondylolisthesis (read: cranky beyond all belief), I only made it to one successfully, and I can't recall which one. It had mostly new stuff, though I did find one vintage thing as a souvenir. The next one on my list wasn't happening at that location any longer, and by then I had decided it was time for beer.

As for the Flohmarkt that happens on Saturdays at Vienna's Nashmarkt, I enjoyed my time there, focusing on the vintage section only and found some buttons for a sweater I knitted, a Steiff for my collection and a charming little framed painted glass picture. I'd visit again if in Vienna on a weekend, but honestly, in that corner of Europe I'd rather be in Budapest so I can go to the Ecseri piac for more of the 1930s Hungarian pottery that I collect.