Please sign in to post.

24 hours in Munich

We have a 24 hour layover in Munich. We are staying at the airport Hotel-BB. What are must do things for a one day visit to Munich?

Posted by
20081 posts

Go to the Marienplatz at 11 am or noon to watch the Glockenspiel in the Neues Rathaus.

Posted by
408 posts

I’d do the walking tour, eat lunch at the Market, grab a beer at der Schorr choose an afternoon activity and wrap up back at Marienplatz in the evening unless you’re tired

Posted by
740 posts

A good walking tour is any walking tour, especially if it is a free walking tour.

Posted by
408 posts

Train to Marienplatz. Do the RickSteves walking tour with a stop for Lunch at the market.

If it's pouring rain, I don't know. Maybe choose one of the art museums or something like BMW world.

Posted by
311 posts

When is your layover? Check out any festivals that may be happening--like Oktoberfest.

Glockenspiel in the Marienplatz, the market which is right off the Marienplatz. Beer pubs throughout the Marienplatz or the beer garden at the market. Dinner-- check out the Ratskeller. Don't know if you guys are into walking/or ubers, but the English Garden could be cool. See the remnants of Hitler's architecture, The Chinese Tower (which has a beer garden) there is surfing and is just a large gathering spot. Hofbrahaus is near the Marienplatz, too. It's easy to take the train to the Marienplatz. There are a number of museums around the area if you are into that. Rick Steves has a walking tour that hits the highpoints.

Posted by
91 posts

I would recommend going to the Marienplatz and Viktualienmarkt. You'll be able to find and good beer pub there. Hofbrauhaus, Hacker-Pschor and Spaten all have places close to there. The Rick Steve's walking tour is good. We enjoyed Mike's bike tours through the city. Or there'd the good old Hop On/Hop Off Bus to try to see everything.

Posted by
2 posts

The best beer and biergarten has to be Augustiner at the Augustiner-Keller at 52 Arnuflstrasse, just a short 10 minute walk from the main train station (Hauptbahnhof). Huge outdoor area with seating for about 1,000, it is unlike the cramped and raucous Hoffbrau House, and attracts more locals/less tourists. Tall chestnut trees fill the biergarten providing nice shade and wonderful ambiance. The food is good, and Augustiner beer, still drawn from oak casks, is my absolute favorite in Munchen. If you go, you will not be disappointed. Prost!

Posted by
28 posts

I developed a one day Munich tour using 2 different resources. When I take family or friends there, we always do this. It's been several years and I'm using memory alone, but you can easily figure it out. Frommer's online has free walking tour that you can print out (you want Walking tour #1). You will end at Konigsplatz, From there take the subway 2 stops south to the main train station. From there take Tram 17 to Nymphenburg Palace and tour the palace. From the palace walk to the Hirschgarten Biergarten and enjoy the largest in the world. Retrace back to the tram line and return to the main train station. I always make a stop at the Augustiner Keller as well, which is on the route back.

Posted by
28 posts

Almost forgot, I you're staying near the airport, you can finish your day with a trip to the Weihenstephan Brewery. They have great beer and pretty good food as well.

Posted by
1481 posts

Munich is a big city. l like it but get frustrated with short visits there. For us it was much better to be there enough time to learn the public transportation system.

As an alternative you might consider Freising, Landshut or both. You can get to Landshut through Freising from Halbergmoos in about the same amount of time as gong to Munich. Landshut is a very attractive small town with a castle, river walks and several buildings with beautiful brick facades. Freising has the Weihenstephen Brewery (claims to be the world's oldest) and the Domberg (cathedral on the hill). Both towns are great for walks and have a wealth of cafes and restaurants.

The Sbahn S8 runs from Halbergmoos to the Airport in 7 minutes. A Regional Express Train (RE22) runs from the Airport through Freising (10 Min) to Landshut (33 Min).