Please sign in to post.

Zurich

We have an opportunity to travel to Zurich and Luzerne this coming Feb 13-23. Lodging and flights taken care of. I'd like some suggestions for activities for the 4 days in Zurich and 4 days in Luzerne. I've researched activities but am looking for some out of the ordinary things to do. Many activities aren't operating since it is winter. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
7640 posts

Do you plan to go skiing? Those two cities are not high in altitude, but be prepared for snow. If you take the train, that would minimize your potential driving problems.

Check out TripAdvisor under things to do for those cities. Also, Viator has good tours.

Posted by
383 posts

Would help if you gave some idea of your interests - are you looking for outdoor activities, unique museums/shops/dining, historic places etc? "Out of ordinary" can mean different things to different people! I know you are arriving today, but with further info I could try to make a few suggestions...

Unfortunately you will leave Luzern on the first day of Fasnacht, which is probably one of the most "out of the ordinary" things in Switzerland!! But if you want to check it out, get up early for the "Tagwach" (5am) on the 23rd and be in old town!! If you are staying in a central hotel, it will not be optional anyway....

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for both suggestions. We won't be skiing but going to museums, art exhibits, etc. All set! Ready to get on flights in a few hours. Terry

Posted by
37 posts

What did you end up doing in Zurich? My wife and I will be staying there three nights to take advantage of Delta travel pricing before we head down to the mountains.

Where would you recommend to stay to see the things you liked? We would like to visit museums and things like that?

Thanks!

Posted by
27057 posts

I think the usual recommendation would be not to stay in Zurich for three nights, frankly. It's a perfectly pleasant city, but for the cost, I'd want more than that. Lucerne (45-60 minutes by train) is the Swiss city most often recommended. I also like Bern (60-80 minutes). Basel (55-75 minutes) has a nice historic district. Konstanz(75-90 minutes) on Lake Constance (the Bodensee) is very pretty, as is Schaffhausen (40-60 minutes) on the Rhine.

However, Swiss rail fares are quite high, and those round-trips will add up rapidly. I think you could stay somewhere with lower hotel rates and do less traveling.