Please sign in to post.

WOW Air?

Hi!
I'm seeing such cheap flights from US to Europe on Wow Air. Is this like Spirit? I wonder if the seats recline? They don't on Spirit and I couldn't imagine being on a flight for 10+ hours without being able to recline the seats. What is the general consensus on Wow Air? Thank you all very much! E.B.

Posted by
7731 posts

I have taken them twice in the last 8 months most recently Chicago to Paris January 2018;
You pay to carry on a bag and/or check a bag. The seats recline. The prices are lower because there are no free in flight services; it is a newer airline just 5 years old so they have lower labor costs than legacy carriers. So bring your own water food and entertainment. For example I ate before I left and just packed my own food which is fresher and better than those TV dinners most airlines serve anyway. Also I loaded my tablet up with movies books to occupy my time. Most airlines have websites where you can read about what you get before you buy the ticket.

Posted by
12172 posts

The planes are as nice as any other plane in the sky. I think the ones I've flown were Airbus and seemed brand new. The spacing is essentially the same as every other airline, not as crowded as some I've flown (SAS, Lufthanse). The seats recline like most planes. I think there is a row next to the over-wing exits that doesn't recline, but that's the same as other planes.

The downside, for some, is that services are a la carte. I travel with a small carry on only so I'm not interested in a checked bag. They offer options for full size carry-ons and checked bags. If you want one, it costs extra. I try to get sleep on the plane so I don't want or need entertainment or food. If you want either, it costs extra. The one extra I do pay for is advance seat selection, at $8 or 9 per segment, it's cheaper than many "full service" airlines charge. You can pay up to 30 something to get a seat behind a bulkhead that gives you extra legroom.

WOW offers several package deal choices for services. Compare the price for everything you want vs. the price for competing airlines.

There is a bonus with WOW. The waiting line to get your passport stamped for Schengen, in Iceland, is practically nothing. When you arrive at your Europe destination (provided it's Schengen), you can walk straight out of the airport to ground transportation (assuming you don't have to wait for a checked bag).

I've also found the duration for a one stop flight from DC to Europe is about as good as you can get. The great circle route to Europe flies over the north Atlantic, so it's not much out of the way. They run the connections fairly tight (usually 1 1/2 to two hours). You have plenty of time to get your passport stamped, use the rest room and make your plane but barely time to get something to eat between flights.