Please sign in to post.

World Cup 2018

The last topic was closed so I thought I'd see if anyone's travels brings them to Europe (or any other football-loving country) during the glorious month of the World Cup.

It's great fun, even if you're not a sports fan. Certain countries are more into it than others - pubic viewings didn't seem to be nearly as big a deal in France as they are in Germany - but rest assured that if you're in a city in a country when they win a game, you'll get to see a pretty big outdoor party! In Stuttgart, everyone leaves their viewing parties and public viewings to parade down Theodor-Heuss-Strasse, blocking traffic and swinging from lamp posts. And that's just after winning a game in the group stages - it's hard to convey the pandemonium of winning the final!

It's very much in the RS style of travel to mingle with the locals and watching a World Cup game at a bar or biergarten is the perfect way to do so. People do drink so of course be a little careful but I've never seen any fights break out in all my years of EUFA and World Cup games.

And while it's sad that the USA (and Canada) didn't qualify this year, if you're watching from home you might as well support our partner in hosting the 2026 World Cup, Mexico! They're a long shot, but they do have some serious talent and are fun to watch.

Posted by
4 posts

Pubic viewings... I was in Italy for the last world cup. It is great fun as European fans are so passionate. A great experience looking forward to be mix again.

Posted by
3039 posts

Last summer, in Zagreb, we watched the finals of the Champions cup in an outdoor bar with about 500 of my best Croatian friends. There was not even a Croatian team in the game, and there were tons of people. There were 2-3 FRY players, and one made a huge play, which went over very well in the crowd.

This summer both Croatia and Serbia are in the WC. Unless they play in the Final Game (Pr = 1:1000000000), they will not play each other. Croatia will play Argentina, Serbia will play Brazil. While Croatia and Serbia are not friendly, they will cheer on the other against the big bullies of SA. I would love to be in Zagreb or Beograd for those games.

Posted by
226 posts

I was in Romania in 1998 when Romania beat England in the Group stage. The ensuing outdoor party and chaos were an amazing cultural experience. I kid you not, men and women were literally running naked through the streets. Glass bottles broken all over the place. Had to go back to the apartment for the rest of the day to avoid the hysteria.

Posted by
6113 posts

Personally, I can’t wait for 16 July when it will all be over!

I have seen a fight in Portugal a few years ago when they lost a match.

Posted by
9098 posts

Mexico! They're a long shot, but they do have some serious talent and
are fun to watch.

They ain't a long shot. Mexico has consistently made the knockout rounds of the WC for decades, and are one of the favorites.

The real underdogs are Iceland. That’s who I will be rooting for.

https://www.sonycrackle.com/playlist/2129509

Posted by
3039 posts

Mexico? One of the favorites? That's ridiculous.

El Tri is POSSIBLY going to make it out of the Group stage.

I am pulling for Croatia and Serbia to both make it to the final, so that we can have the futbol re-enactment of the FRY civil war. Not putting money on this, mind you.

The actual winner? Germany Portugal Argentina France Spain Brazil

Posted by
982 posts

Sarah,
I planned my Scottish vacation about a year ago without thinking about the World Cup dates. Our itinerary has us traveling from Cambridge to the Scottish border on July 15th. My brother, who lives in England and is our loyal driver for our Scottish vacation, informed me just this week that we will have to make alternative plans if England make it to the final. Now the last time England won the World Cup was in 1966 (year of my birth) - so its a long shot - but worthy of consideration and a plan B - just in case.

Margaret

Posted by
14481 posts

In past years I was in Europe while the World Cup was being played, not this time. I'll be rooting for les français and the Germans.

Posted by
175 posts

“And while it's sad that the USA (and Canada) didn't qualify this year, if you're watching from home you might as well support our partner in hosting the 2026 World Cup, Mexico!”

I’m sorry but as a fan of the US Men’s National Team, I could never support Mexico. El Tri is our biggest rival. Who ever is playing against Mexico is the team that I will be supporting.

Posted by
9460 posts

Iceland were such a great story in the Euro championships two years ago - I'm hoping they do well again, this time!

I guess it's Les Bleus for me this time, with neither the U.S. (my team) nor Italy (hubby's) in the tournament. . .

Posted by
9098 posts

Mexico? One of the favorites? That's ridiculous.
El Tri is POSSIBLY going to make it out of the Group stage.

You seriously don’t think they can beat Sweden and South Korea:)

The press and odds makers consider Germany and Mexico to be the top two teams in the group.

Posted by
1936 posts

Since I'm 3/4 German I have to support them-though I'm also cheering on Belgium as an underdog. I was in Chicago for the 1994 World Cup and the atmosphere was electric and so exciting to see all nationality enjoy one game. Hopefully I'll be around 2026! Let's just hope the US team qualifies.

I've been in Barcelona when their football team won a crucial game and the experience was like a US city winning a Super Bowl x10. Pandemonium.

Posted by
9098 posts

Let's just hope the US team qualifies.

As a host the US (and Canada/Mexico) automatically qualify.

Posted by
1541 posts

As a Liverpool fan I'm cheering for Egypt. Go Mo! Just don't get injured.

DH is Portuguese so we are split this time although I think he is secretly rooting for Egypt too.

I'm worried about 2026. They say Canada has never played a home game (meaning that every time they do the opposition fans far outnumber home fans). What a shame for the players who may not be world beaters but wear the jersey with pride. Maybe the influence of the three MLS clubs will turn the tide on that. It would be an embarrassment in front of the world if Canadians didn't cheer for Canada again, and on the biggest stage.

Posted by
23177 posts

We were in Paris in '98 (I think) for the World Cup finals. Great experience. Watch the final in a large bar with about 200 Frenchmen and 50 Brazilians and 20 Yanks. The Brazilians dominated play the first period and they went nuts. And then second period started the French decided to play. In the end it was 3 nil in favor of France. A great night.

Posted by
681 posts

We were in Paris for the last world cup and previously in the Czech Republic and Austria. Talk about each city and even tiny towns watching in town squares and celebrating through the night. It was great fun!!!

Posted by
9098 posts

For those stuck at work and can't watch....BBC Radio Five Live is doing radio play by play:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/5live
Also available via the excellent BBC Radio mobile app.
(surprised it's not being blocked to those outside the UK)

Also if you are a SiriusXM satellite radio subscriber you can stream audio of the matches on the Fox Sports channel via their mobile app.

Posted by
3049 posts

I sure wish Mexico was as sure a bet as some here think. Even my German friends who are pessimistic about Germany's chances of winning this year are convinced that Germany will win tomorrow's match, it's just a matter of by how much.

As a Californian, I'll still be supporting Mexico. It will be tough since my two favorite players - Ochoa and Neuer - will be on the same pitch. I adore Neuer but I gotta root for an underdog for now. I've got the Schwartz-Gelb-Rot facepaint ready for when Mexico goes home, however.

Posted by
1936 posts

I'll be cheering for Germany but I've found my underdog team since the Americans aren't there. Iceland was pretty good today and their goalkeeper(middle name of Thor!) was blocking almost all their goals. Plus, they seem just excited to be at the World Cup and don't have any players who are overhyped(Messi) or inflated egos(Ronaldo). I think they might be a dark horse this year.

Plus I've forgotten just how much I love watching the WC. I'm not a big football fan otherwise but the fancy footwork, lack of commercials and 90 minute games are so much easier to watch.

Posted by
10118 posts

Our TV has been on Telemundo or Fox with the matches all day.
Fred— FYI the French team is called Les Bleus, as in Allez Les Bleus.

Posted by
14481 posts

Thanks, that's why they wear blue. I wasn't quite sure of the spelling. I'll be listening for "On a gagné."

Posted by
10118 posts

On a gagné, hier au moins.
Edited: for Fred 21 June--on a encore gagné.

Posted by
14481 posts

On a gagné! Bravo!! They are off to a favourable start.

Posted by
1936 posts

I've been watching Telemundo and though the picture is worse than Fox, the announcers are so much more enthused. The Mex/Ger game was hilarious just for the announcers. Sadly, Germany won't make it far this year.

Posted by
3985 posts

I like the Women's World Cup much, much better. I went to a World Cup match in Bochum in 2011. Such great fun and the fans were incredibly gregarious! France beat Canada 4-0.

Posted by
3039 posts

Halfway through the first game of the group stage: Plenty to cheer about:

1) German loss - I dislike watching a repeat champion
2) Mexican win - I'm finishing up my large plate of crow, as I had said that they were not going anywhere
3) Croatia and Serbia lead their groups. Wow. Amazing
4) The best game of the WC occurred - Portugal-Spain - 3:3 tie, but what a titanic match

Posted by
5239 posts

Sadly, Germany won't make it far this year.

They've played one game and you've written them off!

Posted by
3049 posts

Yesterday was so exciting! Mexico's defense was awesome. Germany...I don't know what Germany was doing.

My friends who were pessimistic but still thought the Mannschaft would easily beat Mexico are now seriously depressed. We'll see how they do but it's clear that this is not the 2014 team, not by a long shot.

On the other hand, Mexico has a chance to the be the group leader exiting the group stage! Wouldn't that be something? Unfortunately someone I know decided to get married (in GERMANY!) next Saturday so we won't get to watch either game.

Posted by
3777 posts

We were in an Irish pub in Bratislava the last World Cup. This July we will be in GDANSK. We are rooting for Croatia, but have back ups if the don't go through. My hubby actually is calling in sick to work next Thursday for Croatia Vs Argentina. He wears his lucky jersey every time they play. Hope it helps.

Posted by
10118 posts

Sarah, Record the wedding; you can watch it later.

Posted by
3049 posts

Bets - Don't tempt me! What's worse is I've used all my data for the month when I was traveling so I can't even secretly log into a stream. Oh well, it will be a wonderful time with friends flying in from all over but given that half the attendees are Germans they are apparently quite put out that the reception starts right around the time of the game! I truly don't know what my friend was thinking.

Posted by
14481 posts

Germany's loss...unerhört...we'll have to see what happens. In the worse case scenario with Germany, I am still cheering for France...a very promising start !

Posted by
3039 posts

Croatia vs Argentina - wow - that is going to be a corker. Croatia needs to CONVERT OPPORTUNITIES. They had a ton. Argentina - 10 midgets + Messi. I'm not sure that's a cup-winning recipe. Brazil - Neymar is having foot/ankle issues. I don't wish ill on any player, but I suggest that he take the day off to recuperate!!

Posted by
12172 posts

I watched a couple games at a sports bar in Paris before coming home. One of the games was England. One young British guy I talked to is going to the game against Panama (about 400 lbs plus spending money) in Russia.

The place is Magellan Inn near Republic Square. Tell them I sent you and they'll be surprised (probably won't get you a discount).

Posted by
1936 posts

I’d wager any bar in Europe is showing all the games. As for my picks, Argentina are almost goners, Germany has to win Saturday and Spain are iffy. Best not to jinx any more teams.

Posted by
14481 posts

Yes, Germany has to win Saturday, but I am very glad France won...bravo! On a gagné !

Posted by
3049 posts

Many cheers for Germany over the dessert course at Burg Colmberg last Saturday. More than a few people were streaming it on their phones. They might get out of groups. The next match both Germany and Mexico play at the same time, so I either have to find a bar willing to put on the Mexico game instead of Germany (maybe a place with multiple screens?) or watch at home.

England's goals yesterday were insane. Look up video of Englanders watching on giant screens poolside in Mallorca if you want to see something crazy! Senegal played beautifully and I'm rooting for them as well, I'd love to see a strong showing from an African team in the group of 16.

Posted by
1936 posts

The Sweden Germany game was the highest-rated non-US soccer/football game since the 1990s. Probably explains why my grocery store was out of German beer the next morning. So Germany lives another day. Had to turn off England/Panama at the half, far too lopsided.

Unlike most, I don't think it will be an easy win for Germany against South Korea. SK is already out so there is no pressure to win and they did score a goal against Mexico, which is more than Germany could do.

Posted by
3049 posts

I agree Heather. I'll be streaming the Mexico game on my phone while watching Germany at a party (an Aussie/Danish couple who used to live here are visiting...they chose to watch the games separately today. Smart move.)

Tomorrow is going to be very exciting!

Posted by
1936 posts

This year's tournaments have been all over the map, so I expect game winning goals again in the last minute of each game. Since I'm home tomorrow, I was planning on watching, but since I don't have cable, I can only get the Telemundo station that is showing Mexico. Probably for the best as when I watch Germany they lose. So I will be cheering for Mexico.

But if I'm completely honest, I'd be happy if Belgium wins it all.

And yes, I wish Ghana was in the WC, as they seemed to be the only consistently strong African team.

Posted by
1286 posts

South Korea are my new favourite team, apart from the obvious two anyway.

Sadly they don't go forward either, but still they are great (their second goal was hilarious and also humiliating for the Germans, bound to appear in everyone's highlights for years to come).

Posted by
1936 posts

Thought Korea would win by a goal but never two. Germany looked lackluster this whole series and should've been gone last match.

I'm still going with Belgium though many English people I follow on Twitter are crowing that Germany's defeat means England will win...Hmm. Mexico looked awful today as well. The curse of the previous WC winner continues.

Posted by
5239 posts

FYI: my children have started using “bad” grammar, for example “Germany ARE” because of World Cup coverage.

But do they use the phrase, "staff is...." as in, "the staff at the hotel is attentive"? One Americanism I can never understand.

Posted by
1936 posts

Yes, I saw that story about Lukaku and his obstacles growing up. Has helped Belgium a lot this World Cup.

I think Germany is the country soccer fans love to hate, for the British because they still haven't given up WW2 Nazi era and for Brazil who are still smarting from the 7-1 loss in 2014. If Belgium weren't playing England, I would cheer for them just don't tell my Welsh or Scottish friends. I asked if they were supporting England as they are a part of the UK and their answers were negative to put it mildly. But I do love an underdog and perhaps we could see a Brazil Belgium final.

I would like to visit Russia just to see those stadiums, the one with one whole section outside the stadium seems pointless. Too far to see anything and your open to the elements, but it has been fun to find these cities on a map.

Posted by
372 posts

oh goodness Emma, thanks for sharing the Lukaku story. I'm weeping at work... and will now take my seat on the Belgian team bus!

Posted by
408 posts

It's great fun, even if you're not a sports fan.

Hardly. To me, it's a lot of noise and drunk idiots staggering down the street. It's difficult to fathom the amount of money and emotional energy invested in a pointless game. Of course, I feel the same way about the NBA, NFL, college sports, the Olympics, and so on. One of the mysteries of life...

Posted by
9098 posts

It's difficult to fathom the amount of money and emotional energy
invested in a pointless game.

It's what separates us from the animals.

Posted by
408 posts

Yes. I've not seen animals engaging in such behavior. Good point.

Posted by
1936 posts

Well Emma, now you Englanders can hold this over Germany's head. Though judging from their posts, the whole of Germany is mourning. At least there isn't much animosity between Belgians and your country, though probably best not to mention the EU headquarters.

Interestingly, Nigel Farage think the Germany loss will lead to Merkel's downfall because....I'm not sure. Hopefully, the US will be back by 2026 in our own World Cup games.

Posted by
10118 posts

Better than war, Bob.

We watch all the Les Bleus’ matches with other French ex-pats at our local watering hole.

Posted by
14481 posts

I was relieved that Germany won over Sweden and with a decent score, didn't watch the game, found out the positive result later at dinner...to my relief and pleasure.

Now, they bailed out...what a pity! This is why I am rooting for France even more...les bleus and a result a la 1998!

Posted by
10118 posts

My resident Frenchman is more pessimistic than you Fred. But what do you expect when the words —pas mal— equals high praise and excitement.

Posted by
3039 posts

With regards to Germany, there were two outcomes possible: either Germany would prevail and Mexico would be out, or Mexico in and Germany out.

Mexico in, Germany out.

I am pleased. I dislike Mexico intensely, as they are a bunch of whiners. But Germany won in 2014, and it is time for new team to win.

Croatia.

Wouldn't that be grand?

Spain is going to have an easy time against Russia, and will be ready for Croatia. Croatia has the tools, the initiative, and the drive to go deep.

Portugal - 10 midgets and Ronaldo. That may be enough.

Argentina - 10 midgets and Messi. Not nearly enough.

Posted by
5239 posts

Hopefully, the US will be back by 2026 in our own World Cup games.

As hosts they automatically qualify although as this will be the first time it has been jointly held by three countries there is some discussion about how the automatic qualification is going to work.

Posted by
7049 posts

The time previously the US hosted the World Cup the games were spread
so thin, for most Americans it was like the games weren’t even taking
place.

The US is a huge country with several time zones, what do you expect? They need to use stadiums of a certain size/spec which means they're likely to be near cities with large population centers that can support such stadiums or had them in place already. No different than what happens with the Olympics. In 1994, many games were played at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena which has a huge capacity (> 90k) and is well-known. I lived in LA at the time and everyone knew the World Cup was going on because the population was/is very diverse and multi-ethnic and they root for their favorite teams. Most Americans don't pay attention to soccer in general, but that has nothing to do with where the games were held in the 1994 World Cup. They were held in the most dense regions of the country with large built-in fan bases for the sport (Dallas, Orlando, SoCal, NorCal, NYC area, Boston, Chicago, etc.); that's the best that can be done for maximizing attendance and interest.

Your comment probably has more to do with media and press coverage of the sport than anything else. Back then, if the local/regional papers didn't cover it, people in more rural parts of the country probably didn't know or care that the World Cup was taking place.

Posted by
9098 posts

that's the best that can be done for maximizing attendance and
interest.

...and of course a good chunk of the fans attending matches will be from abroad.

I was reading an article about the 94 WC a couple years back and it's lasting impact on tourism for many of the venue cities; especially New York City. Not that the Big Apple wan't already a big tourist destination, but after the tournament tourism from European visitors exploded and didn't let up until 2001. Apparently word spread about how cheap the shopping was with the favorable exchange rates, and lower sales tax.

Posted by
8889 posts

There are two restaurants / cafés in the street outside the office I work in, both with big TV screens. And it is warm enough so all the office windows are open. Whatever the teams playing, there are always some of both nationalites to cheer. You can tell the two groups apart by the colours of their T-shirts. Whenever we hear a huge roar we look at a news website to get an update.
Switzerland through to the 2nd round, but German out. That is making a lot of Swiss very happy.

Posted by
14481 posts

@ Bets...D'accord! It is a more positive connotation in this context than just "not bad." Let's say "Les Bleus will prevail." Some "expert" I heard did say that Les Bleus would be a surprisingly strong team, which they have been relative to Germany...a real pity...with this loss to Korea. For Les Bleus...on a gagné

Posted by
1936 posts

Well that was an uninspiring Belgium/England game. From the English commentators, I guess everyone is happy that they get to play Colombia instead of Japan. I'd rather have played Japan as I don't think Colombia will be as easy to beat as the people think. Just look at South Korea.

Hopefully, there will be actual football played now and not just the(pretend to lose) BS. So go Belgium, you're my last hope.

Posted by
5239 posts

Hopefully, there will be actual football played now and not just the(pretend to lose) BS. So go Belgium, you're my last hope.

You must have been watching a different game to me. Both teams played to win however they both put out what could be described as their "B" teams in order to give the players a bit of exposure and to protect and rest the main players. Both teams had already qualified so a win wasn't imperative but the motivation and momentum that winning games produces would mean that both teams would want to play to win.

Posted by
1286 posts

Neither Belgium nor England were trying to lose that match, but neither would have been too worried about losing. But it's not to do with the next round in playing either Japan or Colombia. The, slight, advantage of coming second is avoiding Brazil in the quarter finals (assuming you, and they, win their next matches, of course).

Posted by
1936 posts

I understand about not playing Brazil, but wanting to play one team instead of another can be problematic. But hopefully, next weeks games will be slightly more exciting, though I'm praying for Spain to keep in it as almost all the teams I put down to win have gone home. Much as I can't stand Ronaldo, I do think Portugal will get to the finals, I just don't know who the other team will be.

As for Germany, they still have the Euro games and I've seen they have some new players coming onboard. I will refrain from stating my opinion of Wayne Rooney coming to DC United.(Why?)

Posted by
7049 posts

but wanting to play one team instead of another can be problematic.

Problematic for whom? Every team needs to string together a strategy to make it to the final (including trying to protect their most valuable players from injury and burnout) and they know their strengths and weaknesses vis-a-vis other teams. It's natural to want to go against some teams based on their respective strengths and not others. But they don't get to choose the draw.

almost all the teams I put down to win have gone home

Trying to predict the winner at the group stage is a bit premature, isn't it? Look at what happened to Senegal and Germany, totally unexpected.

Much as I can't stand Ronaldo

I think his team is really happy to have him. He's delivered multiple times already, and I don't agree that he's overrated (or Messi). He's young and cocky, but so what? He shows up for his team and he's clearly talented and a bit of a "performer". I've seen him really improve and mature over the last few World Cups.

Posted by
3039 posts

While Ronaldo is extremely impressed by himself, he also delivers. The win over Spain was an excellent game, possibly the best of the WC so far. He delivered that set piece goal in the 88th minute that was as pretty a goal as I can remember. If he can get some support from the others, Portugal can be a threat. Portugal has never won the Cup. That's my criteria now - who has not won?

Croatia is my team. They have Modric, a wonderful table-setter, and he can score as well. Croatia has not won.

Russia, Columbia, I think are done. Argentina is most likely done. Croatia demolished them.

France is a huge puzzle. So much talent, and so little production. Brazil as well. I want both to lose. France or Argentina go on, not both, and that is good.

Switzerland - hard to say? They all speak Albanian. It's an odd team. Denmark, Sweden - let either win. But they won't.

Final: Croatia-Belgium - winner:CROATIA 4-3

Posted by
2297 posts

Please please do not use the acronym "WC" in this context. It conjures up a very different picture for me, especially in the European context ....

Posted by
10118 posts

@Fred-- c'était pas mal. Ouf. Exhale ! On a gagné. Very exciting game.

Posted by
1542 posts

I heard the France coach, Deschamps, shout a number of times from the touchline, "Courir, Kylian, courir." That Mbappé is almost as fast as Forrest Gump.

Posted by
1936 posts

Now that was an exciting game and France finally seems to have found a rhythm for it's skilled players. I think they just may be the team to beat this year. And they have the most striking uniforms of the series.

Posted by
3039 posts

France vs. Messi+10 midgets - as advertised, a corker. Mbappe is a wonder. It must be wonderful to be so young and so skilled and so quick. The right man at the right time.

Good luck to France.

Uruguay is having its way with Portugal. Close to Ronaldo+10 midgets. But he has more help. Only 30 min in at this point.

Posted by
8889 posts

Seen in a local shopping centre today (Saturday): German supporters kit (flag, headband etc.) half price.
I had to giggle.

Posted by
14481 posts

@ Bets...True, c'était pas mal. Where Les Bleus are right now, c'est formidable. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a repeat of the 1998 result.

Posted by
1936 posts

I feel really bad but hurrah Portugal is out, perhaps Messi and Ronaldo can fly back together! All the big teams seem to be dropping like flies. Worst part is that the American Fox Sports commentators won't know who anyone on the teams are anymore, judging by their focus on Messi and Ronaldo.

I'm cheering for Spain but I think they will be the last big team eliminated tomorrow. It's certainly starting to get exciting there in Moscow.

Posted by
1936 posts

Welp. It's all up to Belgium. Though I'm not sure any team wants to win against Russia/Putin.

Posted by
1936 posts

The way this World Cup has been going, I fully expect that Brazil and Belgium will be eliminated from tournament tomorrow. Whomever bet on all the underdogs is a very rich man today.

I hate penalty eliminations.

Posted by
2252 posts

I was 1 for 1 today. Yay, Croatia! So sorry to see Spain eliminated but oh, my gosh-I thought it was a good game.

Posted by
3777 posts

Go Croatia! They play Russia on Saturday - It will be our first day in Kraków and husband is already trying to figure out jet lag and watching the game.

Posted by
286 posts

Uruguay played a great game!! Both games today were very boring, Spain without Iniesta doesn't seem to be interested in scoring and the only interesting part about Croacia Denmark were the penalties. Hopefully tomorrow's game will be more interesting! Go Mexico!

Posted by
9460 posts

All i know is that with the French playing their next match Friday at 4 pm local time, there is going to be a LOT of absenteeism from the workplace on Friday afternoon!!! Bosses should plan accordingly!

Posted by
1286 posts

If you want to support the underdog then Russia is the obvious choice. Plenty of "informed" commentators before the competition said they would never even have qualified and were only there as hosts. And, of course, a Russia match gets lots of local support. I'm still holding out for England to get to the QF. But when they go out on penalties, Russia is my country to support.

Posted by
1936 posts

Was really hoping Mexico could pull through as those Brazilian players were ridiculous with their dives. Neymar rolling around like he was dying for 5 minutes was just too much. Please whatever team wins tonight, beat Brazil. That is all I want now that all my teams have bit the dust.

Posted by
9098 posts

Belgium V Japan! For a neutral fan is was THE best match of the tournament so far.
Positive attacking football from both teams; without any hacking, diving, or interference from that annoying VAR. Feel sorry for Japan, but I hope Belgium puts that diving overacting Neymar in his place for the QF.

Posted by
1936 posts

Yesssss! Great job Belgium and Japan should be proud for keeping it competitive. I just want Belgium to crush Brazil and their silly diving/flopping.

Posted by
9460 posts

I was rooting for Japan, I liked their fancy footwork!!

Posted by
5239 posts

Oh yes! Glad to see dishonesty and cheating hasn't prospered on this occasion. Bring on Sweden!

Posted by
1936 posts

The Colombia/England match was a lesson in why Americans hate soccer. So much flopping and so little actual game playing. Just ugly. Makes me miss the Japanese team.

After seeing all the teams, I am still voting that France will be in the finals. Just a powerhouse team. Though since this is Russia, the home team might just get into the finals as well. Much as I didn't care for England winning, at least Colombia lost and can go back to WWF wrestling mode.

Posted by
2252 posts

heather, not all "Americans hate soccer". I actually like to watch soccer/football, even if I don't fully understand the game. Here's what one of our Denver newscasters said regarding tonight's England win: "This is England's hand to God moment, right here". The folks in the newsroom all applauding, this was just as the final and winning shot was being shown on the tv. Overly dramatic, yes, probably but some of us Americans do follow and enjoy the WC!

Posted by
286 posts

Heather, I think you're right and at least that American referee hated football! He did an awful job.
Although it got a little heated in a moment, it was a.good game. Vamos Colombia!

Posted by
7731 posts

Heather there is also a lot flopping in pro-basketball also to get to the free throw line but Americans don't dislike it.
Soccer playing and exposure is more of bourgeois thing in the USA

Posted by
10118 posts

Soccer playing and exposure is more of bourgeois thing in the USA
Except for every hardworking salt-of-the-earth immigrant group playing wherever they can on the weekends.

Posted by
776 posts

And South Florida is certainly happy. Three of our big immigrant groups, Russians, Uruguayans and Brazilians will get in a lot of celebrating over the weekend. Too bad for the Colombians.

Posted by
1936 posts

I didn't mean that all Americans hate soccer/football. But many people point to the flopping/diving as the one thing that drives them mad about the sport. Probably why more Americans are interested in the Women's World Cup, as well as having a decent team the ladies don't flop around. I do think that VAR really hasn't been done well. It seems to be more of a "look new technology gimmick" more than actual usage. Just my opinion.

Two days without a game, how will people cope?:)

Posted by
3039 posts

Croatia won, but did not impress. Where was the great combination play? Where was Modric?

Well, a win is a win. Now they face Mighty Russia, and if they don't take this game seriously, they could lose.

I would have loved to be in Zagreb last Sunday. My Croatian friends said that the place was crazy. Now, on Saturday, Croatia-Russia.

Go Croatia.

Posted by
1499 posts

Have held off on the topic of flipping and flopping but can't do so any longer. Much of this is due to difference in style: European which is running and kicking, with a bit of shoving, pants and shirt pulling vs South American which is dribbling skills, deftness, quickness. Those players not able to compete with those who can dribble past them must foul the dribbler. Even more so when they know that that person has had an ankle injury and has been recuperating for 5 months and may not be at full form. If that player can be re-injured or have to leave the game, better for the opponents. Yes, that player will fall down and roll around because it hurts to be kicked or stepped on and even more so on top of an injured ankle. When a player is kicked, shoved, or kneed when he is off balance and has only one foot on the ground and the other either on the ball or in the air in the process of executing a play he will fall down. It may be called flopping but one should try to keep their balance in that situation and see if it is possible. VAR has not been applied consistently resulting in some bad calls. And yes, the American ref was awful but that may be due to his experience in reffing USSL games.

Posted by
1286 posts

"South American which is dribbling skills, deftness, quickness."

So how come its the south American teams that keep falling over and rolling around like drama queens or trying to scuff the penalty spot or crowd out the referee?

Sorry, but I think your analysis is completely wrong. With the possible exception of Portugal, it is the SA teams that cheat the worst not the European ones. Nobody is criticising Sweden or France (much), everyone was pointing out Brazil, Argentina and Colombia's histrionics.

Posted by
5239 posts

Much of this is due to difference in style: European which is running and kicking, with a bit of shoving, pants and shirt pulling vs South American which is dribbling skills, deftness, quickness.

Oh dear, you've got that completely wrong!

It's no coincidence that the final matches are dominated by European teams. The European style is nothing as you've described and yet it is also the South and Central American teams that have been committing all the wrestling, diving, rolling around for eternity. Colombia panicked yesterday, they knew England were better than them which is why they resorted to such deplorable tactics.

Posted by
1499 posts

"Everyone pointing out Brazil, Argentina, Columbia"? Does 'everyone' include South American countries or European and USA?
'Final matches dominated by European teams' - 13 European teams vs 5 South American teams out of the 32 teams qualified for the finals.
Let's just call this a difference of perspective/opinion.

Posted by
3049 posts

That England-Columbia game was at turns fascinating, frustrating, maddening, ulcer-inducing, and ultimately, joyous. Had some of the worst and best aspects of football on full display.

Since my beloved Mexico went out - perhaps Ochoa's last time at the WM which is a tragedy because he's been, by the stats, one of the absolute best keepers in the last two WMs. Watching him save is poetry. There's talk he might be moving to a bigger club after this performance but for whatever reason, he doesn't perform nearly as well outside of tournaments. Maybe he just comes alive under pressure?

The fact is Brazil is the better team, but Neymar's histronics and poor attitude have made me want him to go down. Mexico had a chance against Brazil (especially looking at the first half) but the constant time wasting and interruption of play after Brazil made their first goal made that a lot more difficult. So Neymar has replaced Arjen Robben as my main villain in tournaments. (Look up "flying dutchman" memes from 2014 if you want to see what I'm referencing.)

So now I'm all in for England, although I'll be rooting for any team against Brazil and Russia. The former due to Neymar, the latter due to whatever shenanigans the Russians are pulling. The were one of the absolute worst national teams in football all the way up to the start of the WM, when they happened to have pulled the easiest ever group to beat through a system that is notorious for being easily rigged. Doesn't explain their victory over Spain, but something hinky is going on that isn't in the same realm of the other underdogs who are playing better than expected (and enjoying the benefits of the "big teams" playing very poorly).

So go England! And Belgium! And France! I'd even be happy with an Uruguay win, concerns about biting and rough play aside...this weekend should be fun!

Posted by
7049 posts

Viva Ochoa! Great goalkeeper - I too am sad to see Mexico out. They are always fun to watch.

Re: the histrionics....it's worth also considering that it's not a coincidence that the opposing side purposely tries to rough up the most valuable players on the other side so they'd be out for injuries. I'm tired of seeing that too.

I'm going outside the box and rooting for Uruguay. They're a powerful, well put-together team with incredible power and talent. It was amazing to see their last game vs. Portugal. Suarez and Cavani have been fierce.

Posted by
3049 posts

Great video Gunderson! I love that.

I'm getting more and more excited. Such a strange but fun World Cup! I've become really charmed with the story of this particular English team - not to be confused, I think, with the stereotype of English teams of old. They're young, passionate, and Southgate seems to be just about one of the nicest people in football. I really hope that it's coming home. I have nothing against Sweden, I've just seen no particular reason to support them. I'd prefer to root for them in Eurovision, because they're great hosts.

Whereas England...however you tally the "years of pain" it's so rare that a country so deeply passionate about football perform so consistently poorly as a national team, it must be difficult. And all the English I know were so skeptical, refusing to hope going into this tournament, deeply suspicious of Southgate and Kane having previously been the butt of a more than a few jokes suddenly turning into these heroes, and England starting to show a little bit of genuine hope and faith in their team...it's been amazing to watch.

Also the memes. The memes are great. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/7804b57c-e375-4219-9416-bec2e532f9a4

Posted by
286 posts

It's ColOmbia. Yes there are more European teams now, but proportionally there are always more European teams from the beginning. And also, have you watched the matches between European teams? Spain- Russia, or Sweden- Switzerland, for example? So boring!!!!
Uruguay has everything to win and they're interesting to watch!

Posted by
3049 posts

I know people like to stereotype "south american style of play" or "european style" but I think the differences between countries is larger than the difference between continents. England-Sweden is likely to be a fairly dull game (if you don't have a stake in it, that is) to watch because Sweden is all about defense. France-Uruguay is likely to be more interesting, because France is playing so freely and Uruguay are very physical. And I hear Europeans saying Latin Americans are more likely to dive, but Europeans have been diving plenty in this tournament and Robben still did the most famous dive of all time in 2014. I think it's all just a bit more individual.

emma: yes, I've seen the hashtag, it's hilarious. If England wins tomorrow, I might start eyeing easyjet flights on over, I'd love to watch England in a semifinal at an English pub.

But for now....Allez les bleus!!!

Posted by
84 posts

Is there a way to watch in the US if you don't have FS1?

Posted by
2252 posts

David, you can see I'm in Franktown and on the weekends, I have watched on the regular Denver Fox station. Channel 31 on my DISH.

Posted by
1936 posts

You can watch it on Telemundo. If you have that channel, it's in Spanish but you get the idea.

Happy that France won but Uruguay assisted in both goals and it looks like the diving will continue. I'd love to see a Belgium/France semi. So go Belgium!

Posted by
1936 posts

Well played Belgium and another exciting game and for once the referee was less than impressed with Neymar's antics. Should be an interesting France-Belgium match.

The amount of own goals scored in this series seems pretty high. Twelve was the number I heard on the TV today.

Posted by
3049 posts

BRAZIL IS OUT

It's an all-European match from here on out! I find that depressing a bit - wish Japan and Senegal had made it further. That said, I LOVE the way Belgium plays and I'm not sad to say goodbye to Neymar. Great refs in both matches today.

Tomorrow we'll see if England has a chance of bringing it home. This the the easiest path they've had or will have to a final in a World Cup for a long time. It's very exciting!

Posted by
7 posts

We leave Monday for 3 months in Europe! Flying into Paris. We are planning on altering our route to stay around France/Belgium to watch the games!

Posted by
5239 posts

It just keeps getting better! Dare we dream?

Posted by
9403 posts

Yay England!! Final Four!! ⚽️😃⚽️

Posted by
1541 posts

We are home after watching the England game at our pub which is a Liverpool bar. It was rocking. In Ontario they relaxed the liquor laws for the World Cup so DH enjoyed a Guinness with his bacon and eggs.

Now I need to book a quarter day vacation for Wednesday!

Was telling my friends that I recall singing 'God save the Queen' at school growing up but we did have 'O Canada' by then so I'm not sure why. DH says he only had O Canada at his school.

Posted by
5678 posts

As I work for a British university press, I am pretty sure that my entire office will be watching the game on Wednesday. WE have some very big screens that we use for video conferencing. :) The office will be a very happy place.

Posted by
1936 posts

Since all the big countries are dropping like flies, I predict a Belgium-Croatia final won on penalties.

Posted by
3049 posts

JC - the typical English fan with so much fear in believing

OK, I'll be honest - I don't think this particular English team is at the level to win the lot. However, all they have to do is beat Croatia to get into the final. And everyone keeps telling me Croatia is serious business but the 3 or so games I've watched with them I've been unimpressed. They're fine. I don't think they're to England's level. (Not that England is amazing. But they seem way more solid than Croatia which almost lost to Russia and Japan, FFS.)

I honestly can't predict the France-Belgium game. Both are teams with talent and spunk and serious unevenness and problems. It's kind of a crapshoot. On paper, France is better, but Belgium plays fearlessly so I think they have a shot.

Whoever wins will play England, and probably beat England in the final, which is fine. England is in the semi-finals for the first time in 28 years. That's amazing! If they manage to not F it up against Croatia...into the finals. Honestly even if they'd lost today, I think England would have had massive respect for their team. But it's still on...

Posted by
3039 posts

Now we have the final 2 games - Croatia-England, France-Belgium.

There is no way in God's green earth that England will beat Croatia. Just give up now. Remember that Uruguay was missing the most important player, Cavini, and thus was not the great team that got to the Round of 16. Yes, England won today with good skill. Croatia is a step up from Sweden.

Sarah: It was Belgium that almost lost to Japan. And Croatia can dig deep to find the goal they need.

Belgium is going to beat France like a drum.

Belgium-Croatia for the final.

Posted by
5239 posts

Somebody better tell Gareth Southgate that The Oracle from Sioux Falls has spoken!

Posted by
1936 posts

Good on Ikea for their response to what some football twats did in an IKEA store, though having worked retail I would have had choice words for those idiots. At least they didn't play Iceland. Interesting that no shenanigans went on in Russia but then I doubt anyone would want to spend time in a Moscow jail.
Given the rather boring games with Croatia and England, whoever wins will have to step up their speed playing in the final. Still say Croatia and Belgium just to upend the final and have a battle of the underdogs.

I will miss Telemundo announcers just for their excitement and GOOOOAAAALLL!

Posted by
444 posts

I've watched most games of this WC, some at bars a clubs, some at Fan Zones, and some at the Mexico Fan House. The atmosphere has been absolutely phenomenal, even at more controversial games like EngCol.

Posted by
2482 posts

Poor team Croatia - getting worse with every game.

They won't win against England - football's coming home.

Posted by
901 posts

As a way of sending good ju-ju to the England team, I'll be listening to "Three Lions" on my iPod during my morning commutes. :)

Posted by
1936 posts

At this point, I think I'll cheer on England as it seems the only thing going well across the pond this week. I don't think the English could handle the loss right now.

Posted by
5239 posts

At this point, I think I'll cheer on England as it seems the only thing going well across the pond this week. I don't think the English could handle the loss right now.

Am I missing something? Things are fine over here during this glorious summer.

Posted by
5678 posts

i think that it's a reference to Brexit and the recent resignations from May's cabinet.

Posted by
10118 posts

As usual, the French supporters are politely and discreetly listening to your chest pounding.
On verra mes amis.

Posted by
9460 posts

Allez les bleus!! and me -- I agreed to a dinner invitation tonight -- what was I thinking?!!? And my friends' apartment is on an inner courtyard, meaning I'm not sure how much of the noise surrounding the match we'll hear!!

Hope Mbappé is okay since he didn't practice with the team yesterday . . .

An extra thought: I don't think the football can come "home" to Croatia since the trophy was never there before. At least this is what I've understood the English phrase to mean - can someone advise? I thought it meant coming back after 1966.

p.s. Dinner invitation at the home of an American and a Czech. But with a French friend (elderly lady) who insisted on sitting away from us at a BBQ a couple of weeks ago to watch the match more closely!!!!! We shall see . . .

Posted by
5239 posts

The reference to football coming home is due to the fact that the game is an English invention and therefore it can only ever "come home" to England.

Posted by
5239 posts

If nothing else it gives the BBC the opportunity to mispronounce Jeremy Hunt's name which is always fun.

And the NHS can breathe a sigh of relief....for now!

Posted by
14481 posts

D'accord! Allez les bleus ! What else as they have come this far?

Posted by
5239 posts

JC: I am actually aware of the pretense behind the slogan, but am deliberately ignoring it for the moment.

Paul, my reply was in response to Kim's question.

Posted by
3039 posts

The French team has very effectively shut down the Belgian side, and possibly this is the effect of youth (France) vs age (Belgium).

They have gotten better, each game, and continue to show quality and skill.

Occasionally I think about going into sports betting since i am such a smart guy. I would have put $500 on Belgium.

Posted by
1936 posts

Le sigh as my last team got shutdown by France. France's defense is just a wall right now and unfortunately Belgium couldn't adapt.

Whichever team ends up playing them in the final will have a tough time of it. Mbabbe is a beast.

Posted by
3938 posts

We’ll be in Paris on Thursday for 10 days...where to watch? Our apartment has no TV.

Posted by
5239 posts

We’ll be in Paris on Thursday for 10 days...where to watch? Our apartment has no TV.

A bar.....any bar!

Posted by
9460 posts

Paul -- ha!!!

Got to soak up some of the atmosphere tonight . . .and everyone chanting "On est en fi-nal, on est en fi-nal" . . .

Yes, Mona -- you'll see all the bars are open to the street and have big screen tvs that everyone will be gathered around. If you want a decent seat (or any seat at all), stake it out early!!

JC - thanks for the clarification. Very cool! So indeed, football could not come home to anywhere but England!

My husband says he's going to buy a Union Jack to go watch the match on Sunday if England wins tomorrow (yikes).

Posted by
9403 posts

Mona, Paris also has big screens set up at Hotel de Ville. But a café / bar would be more fun I think.

Posted by
1936 posts

Seeing some of the pictures from Paris, it looks like most bars have TV's and people even outside watching the bar TV. Get a French flag and cheer them on. The celebration party will be lit.

Posted by
9460 posts

Emma -- Yes, I realized this!!! However, I didn't want to give him any encouragement on his folly by engaging him in the debate by providing particulars though!!

Mayor Hidalgo has said they will also set up a big screen on the Champs de Mars for the final, like they did for the Euro in 2016.

Posted by
3938 posts

It looks like we will have a variety of places to watch. Can’t wait. We’ll be watching today’s match at the airport after we check in to see which worthy opponent they’ll be playing.

Posted by
14481 posts

Mais bien sur. I am looking for a repeat of 1998 when France won. On a gagné.

Posted by
5239 posts

Yes, this would never have happened if it was on BBC, the curse of ITV continues!

Posted by
9460 posts

Paul you would have won all your money today!!!

Hate it for all our English faithful Forum members. I did not see that coming tonight.

Posted by
3039 posts

I am a fan of Croatia as I have said. However, the England team played well. In 2022, they will be a stronger team. Kane will be 28, Rashford and many of the players will be 24-27, and they will have 4 years more experience.

On Sunday, I look forward to a great game, and a Croatian victory. Unless France wins. My wife pulls for France.

Posted by
1936 posts

France needs to make sure they win in regular time. If it goes to OT, the Croatians have won almost every one of those type games, just by outlasting the opponents. Attack early and often. It's going to be a bruising match either way.

Posted by
3039 posts

Heather: I agree with your thought. Croatia seems to have extra batteries in the legs, especially Modric. I did see him start to make "tired legs" mistakes against England, but the guy could run way longer than I thought humanly possible. He has played every minute of every game, and continues to contribute. I wish I was in that kind of shape.

Posted by
1936 posts

Well luck was with France(and so were the refs) but Croatia never gave up. Congratulations to France and hopefully will see everyone back in 2022.

Posted by
3039 posts

Today's the DAY!!!!! FINAL MATCH!!!!

It's gonna be a corker folks. Whoever wins will have found the key to the weak spot in the opponent.

I am hoping Croatia wins, but France was too strong.

Posted by
3938 posts

Crazyville here on the Canal St. Martin tonight! I thought I’d seen enough fireworks last night but a LOT of people saved more that they’re setting off now, blocking streets, bridges, singing, having a great time!

Posted by
1542 posts

A wonderful World Cup tournament. A great vibe, well-run, entertaining, refereeing was of a high standard on the whole (a bit subjective today from a usually excellent ref), Peter Drury a joy to listen to. Here in Ontario we were blessed with analysis from the lovely, even-toned Steven Caldwell and the excitable Kristian Jack: both are knowledgable, the latter far more insightful than most of the ex-player pundits in the UK.

Posted by
9403 posts

Sad Croatia didn’t win but Congratulations to France and Les Bleus!!
What an exciting game!! Well played both teams.

Posted by
3039 posts

A game which saw Croatian dominance of possession but not of goals. France counterattacked, and their fine players could not be denied. This was Pogba's first goal of the tournament. Mbappe also was outplayed by Strinic, who contained him except for one shot, one score. Disappointing, but France is a fine fine side, and will only be better in 2022.

Allez les Bleus!!

For those who hate futbol and always blather on about 0-0 ties, this was the best answer. 4-2, with a fluke keeper error (I love those) and plenty of great goals. The penalty in the 1st half was marginal, but the hand disrupted the ball movement, and that's probably why it was called.

Posted by
14481 posts

I'll quote the line, "Le jour de gloire est arrivé" even the real score should have been 4-1.

It's a repeat of 1998, and in the words/title of A. Dumas, "Vingt Ans après" Allez les bleus.

Posted by
5239 posts

but France is a fine fine side, and will only be better in 2022.

Why wait until 2022? We have Euro 2020 to look forward to. The Euro's are just as well received in Europe as the World Cup is, sometimes more.

I'm a bit doubtful about the World Cup 2022. The stench of corruption surrounding the selection of Qatar as the hosts is bad enough but to add in the change of season it's held in from summer to winter just compounds the bad decision making even further. With the final being hosted on the 18th December I just can't see that it will generate the same level of excitement and interest that it usually does plus there's the interference with all the domestic leagues.