Please sign in to post.

World Cup 2010

I know the World Cup matches are in S. Africa this year. I'd rather be in Europe, watching the game with locals in a public square or beer garden while they show the game on a bigscreen. I'd love any advice on cities that are the best places to watch a soccer (Ok, football) match-- no matter which teams are playing. Anyone have any amazing experiences in 2006? I'm thinking smaller towns than the big ones of Paris, London, Rome, Milan, or Barcelona. Anyone have any amazing experiences in 2006 that might be great again in 2010?

Posted by
162 posts

I watched the final of the 2006 World Cup, Italy vs France on the island of Naxos in Greece - on the waterfront in a cafe, absolutely packed with people. A wonderful experience, I remember it so clearly. The entire waterfront (not a beach) was packed with people watching the football standing, sitting, etc and ordering gallons of beer. A warm and sunny evening, early July.

Italy won, Zidane did the headbutt.

I watched one of the semi-final matches in a hostel in Athens, where the drunken and young from the country of ___________ trashed the hostel, and then left for the hospital.

Posted by
1170 posts

I was in the UK for 2006 games, and it was a blast watching it in pubs with the locals.

Posted by
3313 posts

I think one of the coolest experiences while traveling is to be in a small town where everyone gathers to watch matches in the local bar.

Wherever you are, I think you'll have a great time.

Posted by
1565 posts

I was in Prague during the 2004 Euros. They put giant screens up in the main square for the games involving Czech Republic. Try to make sure you are in a country that qualifies for the World Cup.

Posted by
9100 posts

I'm planning on doing the same thing Tom: Watching the WC in cities around Europe. I had considered going to South Africa, but there just doesn't seem to be enough sightseeing opportunities in SA's cities to hold my interest for a couple of weeks. I had such a good time in Nuremburg back in 06 watching the tournament at the big screens in the city center that I'm considering going back; for a least few days. But I'm also planning on going to the big cities around Europe: Amsterdam, London, Paris, Barcelona ect. You'll literally be able to walk down any street and watch the tournament via monitors in the store front windows:) Expect all night parties after any victory!

Posted by
515 posts

We watched an 06 game in a small bar in Venice just steps from San Marco. Even in that small venue, we enjoyed the experience. Don't think it's possible not to enjoy, no matter where in Europe you may find yourself. It's an experience just to watch the Europeans watch! In summer 08, my husband and I were atop L'Arc de Triomphe just after dark, and we watched in astonishment as hundreds of cars honking and waving flags went round and round and up and down the Champs Elysee in support of their team's victory in the Euro games. A few weeks later, in a favorite hangout in Sevilla, while there for summer semester, our son and his new pals watched Spain win the Euro games. Needless to say, "a good time was had by all." Doesn't matter where you are, it'll be great fun.

Posted by
2297 posts

"there just doesn't seem to be enough sightseeing opportunities in SA's cities to hold my interest for a couple of weeks."

OK, this is getting a bit off topic but I'm really surprised by this comment. Not that I've been to SA but it is quite on the top of my list of destinations I'd like to go to. Capetown is considered to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Even my husband who was born and bred in Calgary and hasn't seen a single place in Europe (incl. London, Paris, Rome) he'd like as much as his hometown would agree that Capetown is nicer - and not just because he was there the day Mandela was released from prison. And it's not just the cities, Garden Road and the National Parks would provide ample tourist opportunities.

Sure, everybody likes different things for their vacation but my feeling is that there are indeed different things to see in SA from cities to nature to history.

Posted by
1003 posts

During the World Cup 2006 we were in Provence, France, for several games before heading to Italy. For the final game between France and Italy we were in Sorrento and it was incredibly exciting! We went to Pompeii during the day and came back and the town was decorated with red, green and white. Flags hanging all over and even the manhole covers were painted! T.v.'s were set up outside at all the cafes/ restaurants. We found a place for dinner and then just strolled around stopping to watch the game. It was nailbiting and when Italy finally won the town exploded in fireworks and a parade down the main drag of the town! It is something that our 2 boys will never forget!

Posted by
9100 posts

"there just doesn't seem to be enough sightseeing opportunities in SA's cities to hold my interest for a couple of weeks."

I came to that conclusion by studying lots of guidebooks, and other material I could get my hands on. There is a lot to do in Cape Town, but spending two weeks there is a bit of overkill, and SA Africa doesn't have ICE trains like Germany has. But what sealed the deal was when I attended the NY Times Travel show back in March (BTW I saw both Rick and Samantha Brown!) The SA tourist board was one of the main sponsors, and had the biggest booth, decorated with soccer balls and the WC logo. I asked a couple of the reps point blank: "What is there to do and see in places like Johannesburg, Durban, and Pretoria?" They could not answer the question, instead they just kept shoving brochures for wildlife safaris in my face. SA certainly does have some amazing natural beauty, but getting from the bush to the stadiums is too time consuming and not practical. I've come across a lot of other US Soccer fanatics who have traveled to every WC since Italia 90, and have come to the same conclusion. Last month when I was in Switzerland there were actually TV advertisements for match tickets on the various European TV networks....looks like a lot of Europeans have come to the same conclusion as well.

Posted by
2297 posts

Yes, a lot of people have at first considered going to SA for the World Cup and then decided against it. But the reason in all cases I know of was never lack of tourist attractions. Unfortunately, it's still around safety issues and crime rates. That is the only reason keeping us away - aside from the cost.

Posted by
8948 posts

The World Cup 2006 was SOOOOOO much fun! Frankfurt built a gigantic, and I mean really huge video screen in the middle of the river and everyone sat on the river banks to watch. They had another huge screen downtown with an arena to watch the games too.

The best was in my neighborhood though. We have a large pedestrian-only area where they have the twice a week markets and which is chock-full of cafes. For the World Cup, it seemed every pub,cafe and store had rented several big-screen tv's and everyone sat outside to watch the games. People even brought their chairs from home as the cafes ran out and the entire square was filled with tables, chairs and cheering people. All the balconies had flags hanging from them from all the many different countries that were playing, (over 25% of the population of Frankfurt are foreigners) everyone was wearing t-shirts and flag make-up. It was crazy, but it seemed like everyone you passed wore a big grin. Fans would get into shouting matches with each other and then break out into laughter. Simply going downtown and walking around was a blast, seeing everyone in such good spirits day after day was wonderful.

Everyone felt like Germany had done an outstanding job for this World Cup.

Posted by
4 posts

So far, some great ideas! I'm sure that Germany was especially gung-ho about the World Cup when they were hosting it. I guess I'm just wondering if communities will go to a similar amount of expense and trouble when the tournament isn't hosted in Europe. Sounds like it will be tough to miss a party! So, to follow up, is there anywhere I might want to avoid when watching the games, whether for petty crime, rip-offs, or just a zoolike atmosphere? Anywhere that an American who is not a soccer expert might have problems?

Thanks for the responses thus far! I'm getting psyched!

Posted by
1315 posts

I was in Paris for the 2006 France/Italy final. We were in the Pompidou that afternoon and it was announced the museum would close early due so the employees could watch the game. We started out in a restaurant in the Marais and everyone, waiters, the chef, other patrons, were glued to the TV screen. We left the restaurant during the game and took the Metro so that we could watch the rest of the game nearer our hotel which was in the Montparnasse area. The Metro and streets were practically deserted! Of course the cafes and other gathering places were packed. We finished watching the game at a loud and lively cafe and there was such disappointment when France lost. I don't think you can go wrong wherever you are in Europe during the World Cup.

Posted by
9100 posts

Unfortunately, it's still around safety issues and crime rates.

For most US Soccer fanatics safety and crime is not an issue. We're used to traveling to hostile locales for WC qualifiers. This is video of a trip I took back in August of US Soccer fans exiting Azteca Stadium-Mexico City, after the Mexico V USA WC qualifier:

If I was able to survive this, South Africa is a piece of cake;)

Posted by
9100 posts

is there anywhere I might want to avoid when watching the games

Don't worry about it, the police are usually on high-alert during key match days in case things get out of control...but that's rare. If you're into wearing team jerseys, don't do something foolish like wearing a Germany shirt amongst mostly English fans;)

Posted by
2297 posts

Michael,

I was not thinking about stadium violence but safety on the street. My feeling is that the stadiums will be among the safest places on the continent. But I don't know if a soccer fan is well equipped to deal with a gun toting mugger on the street.

Posted by
9100 posts

I was not thinking about stadium violence but safety on the street.

I was being tongue and cheek. But Mexico City is one of the most crime ridden cities in the world right now.

Posted by
1170 posts

I won't go to SA for the games, but it's not due to safety reasons. You can get killed, robbed, raped etc. quite easily in the US ;-)

It is more due to the cost than anything else, but we would love to visit that country!

Posted by
11507 posts

I had no idea Capetown had so many interesting museums and sites,,, what would you say are the top three must sees Beatrix? I would not be even slightly interested in a safari,, so what is there to do in the city? We don't have an "African" board here ,, so asking here will have to do.

Posted by
2297 posts

Pat,

sorry can't help you directly. I have a friend I would ask for details if such a trip was coming up for real for me (it is still a big dream for me). She lived most of her life in Capetown but moved to NZ recently. Economic opportunities were really becoming scarce for them. And when her father-in-law got shot and killed while drawing money from an ATM it kind of was the last straw for them to make the move. It was a hard decision because they really LOVE Capetown.