Please sign in to post.

Winter Travel

Anyone have any tips for visiting Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris in the dead of winter (February)? Interested in any suggestions besides "Go another time." Thanks!

Posted by
3696 posts

No reason to go another time. I love Europe in the winter and have done many trips there during the off season. Paris in the winter is almost the same for me as in the summer, but without all the lines and heat and tourists. I go to museums, cafes, window shop, markets, and get to see the city lights much earlier. Parks are still there and on occasion you can get a sunny afternoon warm enough to have a little picnic.

Are you set on those cities? If you want to consider something else which is typically in Feb you should think about Venice for Carnavale. I just went this past Feb. for the second time and it is a really unique experience. It is a whole different city, and while it can be crowded it is still not like the summer. Maybe because its not hot and steamy it is easier to tolerate.

I took the train one afternoon from Paris to Versailles and there were no lines and because it was near the end of the day had the place almost to myself.

Just dress in layers and be prepared for some damp days, but I have always had many days that ended up being very pleasant.

Posted by
21 posts

Thanks for your thoughtful reply! My last trip to Europe included Venice, so that's off the table this winter, but in the future, who knows? I live in the Midwest us, so I am a pro at dressing in layers! Thanks again!

Posted by
3696 posts

I did not notice that you were from Chicago... so we have the same weather in Michigan that you do.....
My first winter trip to Europe was like a 'spring break' compared to the weather we have here in Feb. I was pleasantly surprised and have had numerous winter trips.
If you get a chance go to Brugges. I was there in Dec. and while the Christmas markets added a festive dimension, the town itself was charming. Had the best Belgian waffles and hot chocolate there at a little cafe. I am sure it is beautiful in the summer, but we still had a great time there.

Posted by
21 posts

Yes..Ann Arbor and Chicago probably have very similar, cold climates! I was lucky enough to visit Bruges about 15 years ago. It was during summer---it's nice to know that it's a nice place to visit in winter, too. I don't know if we'll have time to visit Bruges this time, but we'll keep it in mind.

Posted by
2427 posts

Hi Sara,

Although not the dead of winter, we were in France, Germany and Austria this past December. The weather was mild (40's) and sunny except for one day. We loved it! I would definitely go in the winter again. I highly recommend Europe in the winter.

Posted by
21 posts

Thanks, Mary! I'm not so worried about the temperatures as I am the lack of daylight. Did that put a damper on your trip?

Posted by
5836 posts

February is a good time for travel to Europe for a number of reasons - Low season rates, less tourist, pick pockets seem to head for warmer climates etc. The major downside besides shorter day light hours is shorter opening to closing times for many attractions and some such as Trivoli in Copenhagen are closed for the season.

Posted by
21 posts

Thanks, Edgar. We'll be sure to pay attention to those early closing times!

Posted by
7175 posts

Great heating (and smaller crowds) in the fabulous museums of Amsterdam and Paris, why wouldn't you go? Not so sure about Brussels.

Posted by
3207 posts

I prefer to travel in the winter. Being from Boston, I have not been cold in the UK, France or Italy (...except the coldest I have ever been in my life was Venice in January 1976 with wet, foggy cold in a city where the buildings had barely any heat, IMO). The most important items to have with you are gloves, and scarf/earmuffs/hat just in case. Gloves are my main warming item. No need to bundle up as you know, but layer as you indicate. Other than Venice (then), a sweater and an unlined jacket does it for me. It is heaven because everyone is glad you are there as there are not so many tourists to annoy them and for you there are no lines, no crowds, etc. You'll have a great time! Wray

Posted by
3696 posts

Wray... well Venice must have updated it's heating systems since 1976:) I was just there in Feb. and do not recall any of the buildings being particularly cold... maybe give it another try in the winter.

My coldest trip was to Ireland in Feb. where they had no heat all night at our little B&b's... After 10 days of being cold a lot we took off for France, and that year it was pretty cold there too:(

Posted by
21 posts

Everyone is helping to make me feel so happy about the prospect of traveling in February! Thanks!

Posted by
3845 posts

Sara, this is our first trip to Rome and we are going in February. I am more worried about a snow storm delaying our departure then being cold there. Who cares if we are delayed going home, we will be in Rome! Who cares if it is cold, we will be in Rome! I don't think it will be as cold as the cities you mention though. By the way, we were in Amsterdam last summer for 9 days and could have stayed longer. One of my favorite places.

Posted by
21 posts

That's funny, Barbara! I couldn't care less about being delayed / stranded on the way home, either! Have a great time in Rome!

Posted by
20103 posts

Just my personal experience.
2011: After 3 days in Prague first weekend in February, stuck in Philadelphia for 2 days, as O'Hare was shut down by a blizzard.
2014: After United cancels flight to Chicago due to inclement weather in early January, wife has to drive me 3 hours to O'Hare so I can still make my Swiss flight to Zurich. As normal, green grass in the fields at Zurich airport.
2014: After pleasant week end in Paris mid January with mild temperatures, arrived O'Hare midst snow and slushy Chicago streets.
2015: Rode the vaporetto from Ferrovia to Lido and back on warm, sunny Feb 2. Next day, freezing waiting for bus at O'hare.

Posted by
2427 posts

Sara,

The shorter daylight hours did not put a damper on our experience. Of course, we were there at Christmas time so there were lots of Christmas lights and decorations to add to the atmosphere. But I imagine it would be gorgeous in Paris which is known as the City of Lights. And think how wonderful it will be to have a romantic candlelit dinner there. Heaven. And there is so much to see and do in Amsterdam and the Netherlands it doesn't really matter when you go. I have to say Brussels was not my favorite city but it would be ok for a quick stop. We have been to London several times in mid to late November and enjoyed that thoroughly as well.

Posted by
11294 posts

Just be prepared that these cities won't look the way they do in the pictures and the movies. Understandably, many want these places to look a certain way, and are disappointed when they don't. And if you want to have long days, you'll also be disappointed (for instance, your outdoor walking to see interesting buildings will be curtailed). As long as you're prepared for these things, you'll be fine.

In Paris, many of the outdoor cafes use heaters, so you can even sit outside if you want. I was there in February 2000, and didn't find it that cold (coming from New York City).

If you do want to go to Brussels, try hard to coordinate your trip with one of the Art Nouveau tours given by ARAU. This was a definite highlight, in a city definitely lacking in highlights for me: http://www.arau.org/en/calendar

I much preferred Bruges and particularly Antwerp to Brussels. And some love Ghent (I wasn't as taken with it, although I liked it enough by the end of my daytrip there). So, if you are going to Belgium on this trip, look into all four before deciding how to allot your time.

Posted by
11613 posts

I have been to Belgium a few times in January, it's great. I live in Toledo, and winters are much worse here.

You can have lots of nighttime walks in winter, city life goes on even in the dark.

Posted by
15585 posts

I would not be deterred by short daylight hours. As with any season, you must plan for it. In April and June, one of my great disappointments was not having the hours to enjoy Paris after dark. Amsterdam and Ghent are also very charming after the sun sets. Most of the trees will be bare, but that means you'll be able to see the buildings they usually obscure. Hot chocolate will taste so much better on a cold day.

Posted by
6113 posts

There is a risk of bad weather in February, but bring a warm coat, gloves etc! The museums etc will be open all year round, but may have shorter opening hours in winter - check out online the opening hours of what you want to see to ensure that all will be open. Note that it will be dark by 5pm.

Paris needs at least 5 full days, Amsterdam 3 days. Sorry to say that Brussels is the least interesting place that I have visited in Europe, so I wouldn't want to return there. Bruges or Ghent are more interesting. Personally, I would add the time you were planning on spending here onto Paris, where you will not get bored.

Use booking.com to search for hotels. Book inter-Europe travel tickets now for flights and 3 months out for rail tickets.

Posted by
2393 posts

Paris is so pretty lit up at night - no problem with the shorter daylight hrs for us! Love Paris in the winter - Brussels was nice as well. The key to enjoying is dressing for the weather - I prefer a 3/4 length coat - nothing too heavy and warm comfortable shoes. Hat, scarf & gloves are essential. Dressed properly you can walk the city comfortably for hours and feel like you need to rush from one indoor venue to the next.

The payoff is NO crowds, lines or waiting!

Have a great time!

Posted by
21 posts

Thanks for all the great feedback! I'll be sure to check out the Art Nouveau tours. I'm not familiar with them. I was thinking about staying in Brussels with a possible day trip to Bruges. Maybe we'll do it the other way around? Several years ago, I was in Venice and Barcelona in December. They didn't look like the cities I had seen pictured on TV (less sun, fewer people outside) but I liked that! It somehow felt more adventurous, even if it really wasn't.

Posted by
489 posts

Hopefully you'll have some snow. I've seen some brilliant photographs of European cities snow covered. Even rain covered old cities are fantastic. I had an architecture professor tell us that standing in the pantheon in Rome and watching snow fall thru the dome's hole is breath taking.

Posted by
12040 posts

Shorter hours of daylight are not much of a problem in cities. If anything, it adds to the atmosphere, particularly in Paris.

And as others already noted, temperatures will likely be quite a bit warmer than you would experience in Chicago at the same time of year.

Posted by
3955 posts

I love European cities in the winter for all of the reasons listed above: you can appreciate the architecture better without the leafy trees, stained glass windows are lovely with the low winter sun streaming in, fewer tourists, excellent museums and concerts, delicious hot chocolate and eating a tangine prepared meal doesn't seem like a volcano on your table but a lovely warming oven!

To add to Sam's experience, we once flew to Illinois (Chicago) from Sweden in December only to be stuck in Chicago by an ice storm before we could drive downstate to see family...

Posted by
20103 posts

I think the point is that almost anywhere is better than Chicago in the winter. Go and enjoy.

Posted by
489 posts

Sam, Being just on the other side of the Lake from Chicago... I AGREE 100%... I wish this forum had a like button on some comments.

Posted by
101 posts

Hi, Sara

My wife and I have been fortunate enough to have been to Paris twice in the winter and to Amsterdam once. And I'll echo what most are saying here - I wouldn't trade that experience. You'll enjoy a time when crowds are on the smaller side yet you'll still be able to enjoy the cafes, museums, and genuine beauty of Paris. Amsterdam is also a lovely, walkable city (though I'll caution you to beware of bicycles - a far greater hazard that cars :) - even in winter). The Rikjsmuseum (no wait to get in) along with the Van Gogh Museum and the Anne Frank House (probably wait times) are great things to do indoors. But the beauty of Amsterdam is simply in wandering the streets and viewing the canal infrastructure.

My only other suggestion would be - since you'll be in Brussels - we'd highly recommend a day trip up to Bruges. One of the most picturesque cities we've visited.

Safe travels and have a blast!!

Posted by
12172 posts

Amsterdam rains, on average, every other day year round - a little less in summer and a little more in winter. Being on the sea keeps makes the climate wet but not extreme, so it's probably nicer in Feb than at home.

For me, the biggest downer is length of days. It just doesn't give you much time to be out and about during daylight hours.

The main thing for Amsterdam will be good rain gear more than freezing weather gear.