Please sign in to post.

winter in europe

if I don't ski and want a little warmer weather were is the best place to go? Cheers

Posted by
693 posts

Southern Spain, Sicily or the Canary Islands (yes, I know they're not in Europe but their climate is temperate all year).

Posted by
6 posts

Greece, Malta, Portugal, Southern Italy, Southern Spain?

Posted by
517 posts

Warm is, of course, a relative term. Even cities on the Mediterranean shores can get down right chilly in winter. Tourism infrastructure on the Greek islands pretty much shuts down in winter because it is not really beach weather. I spent a most miserable Easter in Sicilly once... it was cold and rainy the whole week. Was it last year that it snowed in Rome? So maybe you might want to spend winter vacation as many Europeans do.... in the Caribbean!

Posted by
3580 posts

Hawaii...... I'm in Italy (Sicily) now and find the nights a little chilly. If there is central heating, I haven't seen it. I think it would be too cold for me for the next few months. For indoor heating, it might be better to visit a more northern and colder country.

Posted by
951 posts

I went to Spain in February a few years ago and froze my butt off. At that time, I stayed in hostels, and most of them had inadequate heating. Sometimes, I would sleep in my jeans and coat. not joking. It was a rarity for Spain. Cities got snow for the first time in 100 years. Temps were as low as 20's in most every city I went to, including Barcelona and Seville. So Europe in winter can be unpredictable.

Posted by
3428 posts

We've been to the UK (Scotland, England, and Cardiff Wales) and Austria in late Nov/early Dec. many times (about 20+ times in winter) We don't ski, either. We loved both places. In Aviemore and Inverness, Scotland we got a small amount of snow one time (about an inch- enough to be pretty, but not enough to mess up transportation) and in Salzburg and Vienna we got snow once (again about 1-2 inches, but no problems with trains). The temps in the UK were no worse than we get here in Charlotte, NC (no lower than the upper teens, lower 20s and highs of about freezing). The southern part of the UK tends to be damp and chilly, but not really cold (for us anyway). Just take clothes you can layer, waterproof coat (I like one with zipout liner so you can change how warm it is if needed), good walking shoes and warm sock, gloves, hat (or hooded scarf). Even with winter clothes, our bags never weighed more than 12 lbs or so. If you are going soon, the Christmas markets are wonderful. Salzbrug's is huge and very nice. Vienna has several, spread out over the city. London has a few smaller ones and there are several larger ones in other towns/cities. Feel free to private message me if I can help.