Please sign in to post.

Winter in Europe

Hi Have been to France and Italy for 5 wks in Sept 09. Now looking at the following destinations for winter 2012. Idea by train - Land in Venice (4) nights - local train to Trieste during stay in Venice. Venice - Graz Austria (4 nights), Graz - Innsbruck (4 nights), Innsbruck to Strasbourg (5 nights), Strasbourg to Paris (7 nights) - including day trips and Xmas, New Year, Paris to Bruges (3 nights), Bruges to Amsterdam (4 nights) - fly home from Amsterdam.
As per previous time - would stay in self contained apartments. Sounds okay ??

Posted by
6930 posts

No German Christmas markets in between Innsbruck and Strasbourg? 2 weeks just for Graz, Innsbruck and Strasbourg would be way too much time for me.

Posted by
258 posts

I agree w/ post above that 4 nights in Graz and 4 in Innsbruck is prob a bit much. If you're skiing, than Innsbruck can be a handy home-base, but if not, then I prob would not give it 4 nights. I've been to Innsbruck in winter and enjoyed it, but just spent 1 night there and thought it was enough. I dedicated more time to Salzburg (VERY pretty at xmas time) and to a ski resort in the Arlberg, St. Anton (spectacular ski resort! Amazing alpine scenery and awesome conditions), than to Innsbruck. I also feel that 3 nights may be a tad much for Bruges, too. VERY pretty city that I really enjoyed...just not sure it warrants 3 nights. Hope this helps. I love Winter in Europe; yes, shorter days and you have to deal w/ the cold (which I, personally, don't mind), but many advantages, too; fewer tourists/shorter lines for attractions, more time w/ the locals, getting to experience a European holiday season, and, if you're a skier like me, the alps for winter sports! Enjoy.

Posted by
3428 posts

I agree that you could cut out Graz and limit Innsbruck to 2-3 nights (though their Christmas market is nice, it is small)unless you are planning on skiing. And I would definitely add Salzburg - 3 or more nights there would be excellent.

Posted by
12040 posts

It looks reasonable to me. You seem to have accounted for the fact that you can't see nearly as much in a given 24 hour period in the winter as in the summer. The only question I would have is why 4 nights in Innsbruck, unless you're a skier?

Posted by
43 posts

Hi again We are not skiiers, but would like to start our trip somewhere different to Paris....but have Christmas and new year, unless anyone has any other ideas. We also really enjoyed Venice last time (however also know it could very well be foggy, rainy, little daylight etc.) - but it does have its own mystique. Trying to work around dates etc.
Thanks for the advice re Innsbruck, we will be travelling by train the whole trip.

Posted by
687 posts

I'll put in a good word for Graz, which I enjoyed, however, Innsbruck would be a better base for day trips - Hall, the Stubai glacier, the Ziller valley, maybe Achensee. If you go to Graz there's a nice indoor swimming pool complex where you can get a massage (http://www.spazursonne.com/) - it even has it's own bus stop - Bad zur Sonne.