Please sign in to post.

Will my curling iron work in Great Britain/Paris?

I was looking at the adapters that are for sale on this website. It says that I need to make sure that my appliances have built in 110/220 volt converters. I don't understand what this means. I have my curling iron and on it it says 120/240 VAC. I have no idea if that is even related to what I'm trying to figure out. Basically what I am wanting to know is if I buy the adapters on Rick Steve's site (the continental and britain one), will I be able to use my curling iron in Europe? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
32216 posts

Amy,

To begin with, you might want to delete your duplicate post before it attracts any replies.

Regarding your Curling Iron, you will most certainly need Plug Adapters to use this in the U.K. and Paris. They're designed to adapt the North American style plug to European receptacles (the UK style has three large rectangular pins while the Euro style has two round pins).

In order to comment on whether your Curling Iron is designed for use on 220 VAC electrical systems, it would help to have more specific information on the "120/240VAC" that you mentioned. There should be a nameplate somewhere on the device which states "Input Voltage". If you could post a reply on what's listed on the nameplate, that would help.

Cheers!

Posted by
875 posts

I take my Conair dual-voltage curling iron -- then I just need a converter plug -- not an adapter.

Posted by
780 posts

Even if it is dual voltage, it needs to be at a lower temp because they have a tendancy to burn out regardless of the "dual voltage-ness".

Posted by
19100 posts

Janis,

a "plug adapter" is a passive device, with two round pins (cont. Europe), that plugs into the wall and accepts the two flat blades of an American plug. A "voltage converter" is a transformer or solid state device that changes the 230V power from a European receptacle into approx. 115V for American single voltage appliances.

Read here for more information.

Posted by
875 posts

Yes, Lee, I know the difference between an adapter plug and a converter. I was merely suggesting it might be easier to take a dual voltage curling iron which would then only necessitate the need for an adapter plug(s) -- because that would be less cumbersome than also having to take the converter.

Posted by
2745 posts

If you have a dual voltage it should work. I had some teens try to use hair applicances with converters and had a lot of whining about how their appliances were fried.

My Conair Dual voltage curling iron from Target has made several trips to Europe and seems to survive just fine.

Posted by
780 posts

Just dont turn it up to full power, even if it is dual voltage.

Posted by
1014 posts

Buy one there and then you know it will work.

My karmin g3 clipless curling iron has international voltage, so I suppoies your would have the same system too since it's pretty common for hair tools to have dual voltage. I am 98% sure it will work in GB or Paris. Call the company,m though, just to make sure!

Posted by
1204 posts

I don't know what you really should do, but I have had problems with adapters and plugs and I gave up. I bought a blow dryer and a curling iron in London in their chain of stores called Boots. Boots is in Great Britain. I also bought a curling iron in Paris and a blow dryer in Florence. The plugs are different in Great Britain and in Paris, so if you do buy a curling iron you will have to buy one in Paris and one in Great Britain. But the one you use in Paris can be used in Italy, Turkey, France and other countries. The one in Great Britain can be used in Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland. I know as I used my curling irons and blow dryers in all of the above countries. It is worth it if you plan to return to Europe. If you do bring your curling iron from the states and it does not work, then just buy them in Great Britain and Paris. I know this may not help, but this is one I did and it is a peace of mind when I go away.

Have a great trip!!!!

Posted by
32825 posts

as Sam said, this thread is from 2010 and has been woken by somebody for whatever reason.