Please sign in to post.

Wi-fi

How can I get internet while away from Wifi? We are renting a car in france and in Germany and want to use internet as we travel.

Posted by
19100 posts

I don't understand the connection between renting a car and Wifi. Do you want to use the Internet while you are actually going somewhere in the car. For that you will need some kind of a 3G wireless connection, not Wifi (called WLAN in Europe). In Germany, Pennymobil has SIMs for wireless connections using computers, smartphones, etc.

Posted by
1152 posts

Yes, get a local prepaid cell account and buy a data package. The cost isn't super cheap, but it is way better than what a U.S. carrier would charge for data roaming. For modest Internet usage, it works fine. Here is my experience using a T-Mobile U.K. account for data last summer in Germany: Overseas DATA

Posted by
12172 posts

We just came back. Virtually all hotels had wifi (some didn't work well). McDonalds and Starbucks also have wifi (as do many other places). Many bars/cafes have wifi - some have a wifi zone sign while others don't but will give you a code if you ask for it. We stopped in a tiny town in Spain because my phone stopped working (probably got wet from all the rain). I had my ipod and needed wifi to use Skype to call for a hotel room for the night. We found one wifi sign off the small square in the middle of town, but the place was closed. I went into a Cervezaria across the square to ask if they knew where I could find wifi (pronounced wee-feee in Spain) and she wrote the password for theirs on a napkin.

Posted by
32825 posts

How do you get the internet when you are out and about in Magnolia? The principle is the same.

If you are mobile and don't want to hunt for wifi you have to use the cellular network and pay for data. You need a data plan, a device that speaks the same protocol as available over the air wherever you need it (many countries are different and incompatible for example what is called 4G in the USA is completely different to what is called 4G in the UK), and a sim which will allow all this to happen.

3G can sometimes be excruciatingly slow. The signal is subject to the same drop outs between cells, behind hills, subject to interference and loss in cities as it at home.

If you can plan ahead data can be reasonable but if you don't it can cost thousands of dollars or your local currency.