Please sign in to post.

Where would you go in March 2019?

My 25-year-old daughter and I would like to visit Europe in 2019 but the only time we have off is March 4-24. Where would you go? We aren’t interested in Greece (had a wonderful RS tour there in 2015). I’m thinking March still might be cold in many places. Where would the weather be nice? Thanks in advance!!

Posted by
3551 posts

Sicily, Malta, Spain and Portugal are vg options

Posted by
4009 posts

What is "cold" to you? For us, it's below 25ºF. In March, we would go skiing. We've also enjoyed visiting England (based in both London and York), Northern Italy (Venice, Milan), and Switzerland (based in Geneva) and Spain (Ibiza and Barcelona). This is the perfect time to travel because the high culture is in season (ballet, opera) and you won't be bombarded by masses of North American tourists. Have fun planning this trip with your daughter. You have LOTS of time for this fun activity as planning is a great part of the fun.

Posted by
27230 posts

I'd head to southern Spain or Sicily/Malta. Take a look at the historical weather data on wunderground.com. Use the "Monthly" tab. You can usually find day-by-day temperatures and precipitation reports going back about 20 years, so you can see the possible extremes as well as the averages.

Posted by
2708 posts

It's a generous amount of time. I would join the chorus for Spain. You can fly into Madrid, see that city in a few days, get over the jet lag, maybe overnight in Toledo, then head south. Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba are all great places to visit. Highly recommend the RS Spain book. Have fun!

Posted by
53 posts

Thanks for the suggestions! Is Morocco a reasonable add on to a trip to Spain?

Posted by
3211 posts

This is such a wide open question. As a New Englander, there are few places that I wouldn't go to in March, or any time of winter for that matter. This March, I'll be in the Netherlands. In fact, I prefer October to April travel. Winter/rainy weather is irrelevant; summer weather is relevant...I won't travel to hot places. Where would you like to go? Only you know. Where are you from? What kind of weather do you want? Only you know that. I think you need to provide more information as there are probably a myriad of choices within your guidelines.

It is minus 7C or 19F here now and I just came in from taking a walk because it is just so beautiful outside. Decide where you want to go the most and go there. There is no bad weather, just bad clothes (LLBean?). ;)

Posted by
53 posts

As far as a definition of “nice” weather....we are from Central Texas and would prefer temps in the 60s Fahrenheit or above. A very valid point about everyone’s definition of nice weather being different!

Posted by
27230 posts

Morocco is fascinating. Before making a decision about whether 20 days is enough time to hit both Morocco and southern Spain, I'd suggest checking a guidebook to Morocco out of your local library and reading it. If no luck at your library, hit Amazon for a used book. You don't need something really current to decide how many intriguing places there are. I think you'll find that you don't want to miss Fes, Meknes, Marrakech, a desert destination or two, maybe Rabat, and possibly more. So I bet you find you'll need at least 14 days to do what you want to do there, not leaving enough time for southern Spain even if you stick to Andalucía (postponing Madrid and its wonderful day-trip possibilities till another trip. I think time-wise, Morocco would fit better with just Madrid plus its day-trips (some or all of Toledo, Segovia and Cuenca). If you're seriously into art, maybe just Morocco + Madrid.

So I'd say: Think about how exotic you want to go. If you're all about the more foreign-seeming places, spend the bulk of your time in Morocco. (My mother and I loved Morocco; we were about 67 and 40 at the time.) If you want unusual but think Morocco seems a bit too much at this point, consider Sicily. If you want a more traditional destination, go for Spain.

Any of those possibilities will keep you very well occupied for the entire amount of time you have.

Posted by
15604 posts

You could add 5-7 days in Morocco, plan on flying into one city from Spain and back to Spain from another - Marrakesh and Fes are the most recommended. Travel within Morocco is slow.

Andalucia is the warmest, driest place in Europe, March is a wonderful time to be there when the orange trees are blooming and the heady aroma is everywhere. Catalonia's climate is also mild, so consider Barcelona and environs. Take a look at Valencia, which has a unique festival, Las Fallas, every year March 15-19. It's easy to travel in and between these area by high-speed train and tickets are reasonably priced if you buy in advance.

If Morocco is high on your list, then just add Andalucia with a couple nights in Madrid, which may be your best bet for flights. If you drop Morocco, and add Barcelona, then open-jaw flights would be best. However, you could easily spend 3 weeks in Andalucia/Madrid and not get bored.

Sicily is a good idea, but somewhat challenging if you don't rent a car. March is a good time to visit Italy's mainland too. The weather's mild and there aren't masses of tourists. Fly into Venice for 2-3 days, then Florence, then down to the Amalfi Coast and lastly Rome.