Please sign in to post.

Where to stay

This is our first trip to Rome. What are the recommendations on where to stay. We were looking at hotels apartments and bed and breakfast. We will be staying for a month. Should we stay in different areas throughout the month?

Posted by
32213 posts

linda,

You might want to delete your duplicate post before it attracts any replies.

In the same circumstances, I'd find a good "home base" and stay there for the entire month. If you're renting an apartment, the rates may be better for longer term stays.

You could also check the Italy Guidebook and find something that fits your preferences and price range. In choosing an area, I'd probably stay fairly close to Termini as it will be a convenient location for transportation (day trips, etc.). An alternative would be to stay two weeks in one location and two weeks in another. That way you'll get some idea of the "character" of the different areas. Trastevere is a great area, but it's not as convenient for transportation connections.

It might be worthwhile to contact www.roninrome.com as he may have some suggestions and may be able to help in some way.

Happy travels!

Posted by
1317 posts

I'd say it depends on what's going on and what you want to do. For me (having been to Rome twice), if I were staying a month, I would prefer a slightly out of the way neighborhood like Trastevere. You can still get around the city pretty easily but aren't right in the tourist zone.

However, you may prefer to be right in the middle of everything, in which case consider the Campo di Fiori/Piazza Navona area. If you want something upscale, Spanish Steps & Pantheon. Cheaper, go east towards Termini.

I don't like packing and unpacking, so I probably wouldn't move around neighborhoods. An apartment will likely be cheaper for a 1-month rental and you will have the benefit of cooking facilities.

Posted by
354 posts

hi Linda, did you post this in the "To the Boot" forum as well? you might get more suggestions there.