Please sign in to post.

Where to go in November

We are going to Zurich for a wedding in late October. While we are over there, we thought we might take a couple of weeks extra and see someplace that is hopefully warmer than Zurich. We're Florida people.

Any ideas on where to go in late October/early November? We like art, architecture, history, and good weather. We thought we might just "wing it," look at the weather forecast for various places and go someplace warm, but still, I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas.

Posted by
1388 posts

Maybe I'm saying this because these are the two places I would most like to return to in late October/early November, but you could go to Sicily for two weeks or to the Puglia region of Italy with a side trip to visit Matera in Basilicata --- both places should be plenty warm then. You'd want to rent a car for either location, I think.

Posted by
4573 posts

This time of year becomes rainy season in a lot of places. I am scheduled to cruise from Venice to UAE in similar timeframe, and just yesterday was looking at 'last 4 years' for the ports along the way. Crete, Cyprus and Athens all seem to be in the 70s, some rain....but it won't be warm flash tropical rains. Croatia temps, at least coastal, are more in the high 60s and more wet at that time of year....it appears. So it may depend on what you call 'warm'. The further south you go, the warmer.

But if this past Fall is any indicator, many European countries will be experiencing upticks in Covid or variants as 'flu season' starts; in which case there may be some restrictions in place then that may not be in August.

Your idea of winging it may be the sensible option to consider weather & travel restrictions.

I also look at what is currently open or more lenient for vaccinated travelers (which I assume you are or will be) and if weather temps are acceptable, keep those on your short list.

Not a lot of definite help, but little travel in 2021 will be 'definite' if planned long term.

Posted by
7667 posts

For Europe in November and going warm, I would recommend the Greek Islands and perhaps Istanbul. Consider a cruise.
Also, Israel and Egypt are open.

Posted by
27112 posts

You might also consider southern Spain. I took a quick glance at Wikipedia's average monthly weather statistics, and it appears it would probably be a bit cooler than Sicily but also drier. However, the data for Sicily isn't based on a very current time period, so it's not a very accurate comparison. It would be best to look at the actual, historical, day-by-day weather data on timeanddate.com. I like to check at least the most recent three years; five would be better. The link will take you to information for Seville. Note that Granada is at altitude and likely to be cooler.

I believe Sicily would probably be considerably warmer than Puglia; Puglia cools off more at night. Check the weather in Lecce, for example.

I've had personal experience in Montenegro and Croatia in the first half of October. I guess fall arrived rather early that year (2015), but only one day was chilly enough to be unpleasant (in conjunction with heavy rain).

Posted by
1603 posts

I agree with acraven about southern Spain, especially Seville. We were in Seville in early October in 2017, and temps were in the low to mid 90's. So I would think that a month later temps would still be warm and pleasant. Cordoba should be warm. Granada a bit cooler since it's located at a higher elevation, but not freezing. The Extremadura region of Spain would be comfortable as it's extremely hot during the summer months. But I don't know how easy it is to get there from Zurich. Lisbon might be another good choice, too.

Posted by
4573 posts

To add to acraven's comment, I was in southern Spain Oct 30 - Nov 8 2017. It was a drought year. It is normally considered rainy season. I started in Granada in capris and sandals, but was in long pants and closed toe shoes by Seville. Seville was also the only place it rained. It certainly only needs a light jacket in evening and in rain, with 'T-shirt weather' during the non rainy afternoons. So perhaps on the cusp of what you might find acceptable. It is wonderful architecture and history, however. For your interests, it would suit the bill if you are willing to add a clothing layer.

Posted by
2948 posts

Aegean Airlines has a direct flight from Zurich to Heraklion (Crete) $107. I would spend a couple nights in Heraklion before renting a car to see the rest of the island. Make sure you spend some time in Chania. From Heraklion you can fly to Athens ($45) and spend a couple nights there before flying to Istanbul ($53).

Posted by
2825 posts

Another vote for southern Spain, maybe to include one of the Balearic islands of Mallorca, Minorca or Ibiza. Mallorca is our particular favorite ... especially if you get away from the cruise ship crowds in Palma.

Posted by
3161 posts

As a “Florida people” I too highly recommend visiting Sicily. I’ve been on two visits in November and the weather has been Sunshine State perfect on both trips. Never had rain. Temperatures perfect!

Fly into Palermo and out of Catania. Check the route and sights in Rick’s Best of Sicily to get a great idea of where to go and what to see. If you do use that as a basis for your trip, I would consider visiting the towns of Ragusa, Modica and Scicli and making Taormina a day trip from Catania. On one of my trips I also drove to Cefalu, east of Palermo and, while staying in Catania, I drove up Mt. Etna and then circumnavigated the volcano stopping in smaller towns and villages along the way.

Posted by
6384 posts

Honestly, if you are looking for warm weather in October or November, stay in Florida. I get it, a wedding via Zoom is not fun. But Europe is much further north than North America, so in general November will be chilly. I'm not sure how you define warm, but as mentioned some Greek islands can be a good idea. Cyprus or Malta maybe, or southern Spain (including the Canaries).

Otherwise, just go somewhere where there is enough indoors things to do. Milan maybe, just going to the other side of the Alps will most likely raise the temperature a bit.

Aegean Airlines has a direct flight from Zurich to Heraklion (Crete).

Probably not in November.

Posted by
2948 posts

Probably not in November.

Badger, there is a non-stop flight from Zurich to Heraklion on Sunday, Oct 31. There's also a flight on Wednesday, Nov 3, but it's for $162.

Posted by
7360 posts

We were on Crete in early & mid October 2019, and weather was pleasant. Plenty of people were at the beaches on the north coast. Hiking the Samaria Gorge was still possible, as the rains that close it for the fall/winter hadn’t arrived yet, but the park rangers were starting to pack things up along the trail, as the rainy season was imminent. People were still having dinner outside throughout the island when we were there, but a jacket or sweater was a good idea, especially if there was wind at night. Early November would probably be cooler yet, and certainly with rain more likely.

Sicily in November 2018 was warmer. And in late December 2012, it was actually hot on a sunny day in Agrigento, on the southern coast of Sicily.

Posted by
6113 posts

There’s usually quite a difference in most of Europe between mid October and November, particularly the further north you go.

The U.K. is much colder than Florida, but the only place I would go in Europe for as near guaranteed warm weather as you can get in November is the Canary Islands. You don’t go to the Canaries for art and architecture.

I have been lucky occasionally, but more often very unlucky in southern Spain in late October/early November, when it can be cold and the rain can be torrential. The same can be said for Greece.

Cyprus is usually more temperate. Morocco would be another option. Both would meet the criteria regarding your interests.

Posted by
4412 posts

Or you acknowledge that you're in beautiful Switzerland and enjoy the change in climate for a week or two in CH, Austria, southern Germany and northern Italy.

Posted by
6384 posts

There's also a flight on Wednesday, Nov 3, but it's for $162.

I can't find that flight on their website, they only offer flights with a connection in Athens as far as I can see. But they only cost €74 on the other hand.

Posted by
2948 posts

There's also a flight on Wednesday, Nov 3, but it's for $162. I can't
find that flight on their website, they only offer flights with a
connection in Athens as far as I can see. But they only cost €74 on
the other hand.

Sorry, the $162 flight is on Edelweiss and Swiss Air.