Please sign in to post.

Where to go in February

I'm looking for ideas for a destination for 10-20 days (I'm pretty flexible) in Europe in February. I really do not want cold snowy weather. I like history, art, museums, scenery (though maybe not so much in February). Fairly high on my list are Andalucia, southern France, and Sicily. Pros and cons? Other destinations? I'm open to extending my list.

Posted by
3607 posts

My first move would be to check on one of the weather sites to see the average high and low temperatures and the average rainfall. I'd lean towards Sicily. We were there one year late December/early January, and the weather was quite fine. However, I seem to remember that after we returned to London, there was a snowstorm in Palermo. It was freakish enough, though, to make a news story in the British press. Sicily has enough indoor stuff to keep you busy if the weather gets bad.

Posted by
235 posts

I recently returned from Andalucia. Aside from all the sights, it just seems to be a place that is full of culture and would be a nice destination for a longer trip. Seville feels like a place I could live. It's also somewhat cheaper than many locations to the north. And there is an abundance of history, art and museums.

Posted by
3696 posts

Check out the dates for Carnavale...Venice can be cool and a bit rainy but the magic of Carnavale will make you forget the weather. I headed south after that a few years ago and it was colder in southern Italy than Venice...so you never know about the weather, but you can predict an amazing experience in Venice. One day we took the boat to Burano and did not even wear coats and the sun was bright and warm. If you have 20 days you could go from Venice to Andalucia.

Posted by
8961 posts

What about Portugal? Weather should be decent there.

Posted by
3551 posts

I would say Rome and South of (ie.Naples, Pompeii). Great selection of world class museums and art for cool or rain days , extraordinary outdoor sights/architecture on fair days. Southern Spain another poss fewer museums and art but lovely countryside and architecture. Sicily would mostly be outdoor tourism and would not fit the art & museum request well. Southern France could be quite wet but the art and some museums are there.
Nnice that you have a chance to go whatever time of yr.

Posted by
15602 posts

Thanks for the responses. I'm really leaning toward Spain now. I checked flights. I would have to fly through Madrid to get to Lisbon, same price, just another 3+ hours travel time each way and I haven't been to Iberia yet at all. I've was in Italy twice in 2010 for Carnevale (and wonderful it was) and this past February I was in Rome during the snows (also gorgeous). So I'm ready for a new destination.