Please sign in to post.

Where to go in Europe in July 2022 for 10 days

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the wealth of information here. We would like to go to Europe for 10 days in July 2022 (July 1st-10th). We are a family of four- husband, wife, and 2 kids- 11 and 15. We have been to London, Paris, and Lisbon before and would like to explore new places. We recognize that July is a busy time for travel to Europe. Can you please help us narrow down our search?
1. Since it's going to be hot in July, does it make sense to select a place in Northern Europe-Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, etc and save Southern Europe (Spain, Italy, Greece, etc) for another trip in December?
2. Because of COVID, does it make sense to stay in one country and avoid testing every time we cross a border? Or should we combine two countries- for example, Switzerland and Austria? We know that we will need to get tested to enter Europe and return to the US.
3. We are not huge fans of beaches and super hot climates and would prefer touring busy cities. We love exploring museums, castles, local cuisines, etc. We spent a week in Lisbon during Thanksgiving 2021 and loved it.
Thanks in advance. I figured I'd start in this general forum and after narrowing down our search, browse through the forums of specific countries.
Thanks,

Posted by
993 posts

I would say you are on the right track... Amsterdam, Copenhagen would be nice places to go. I have not been to Stockholm but it is on my list. And of course I love everywhere in Germany!

Who knows how covid will be by July.. staying in one country or close would be smart... though I have not taken my own advice and we will fly into London, then train to Belgium, then Paris, then Germany (with possible side trip to Austria)... so yeah, a little risky. I am hoping for the best! But if you can, I think it would be easier to just stay in one place, which I think you could do for 10 days. :)

It is very hot in the southern parts in the summer... I am heat-wimpy so I would avoid! :). Sounds like you might want to as well.

Happy planning!

Posted by
4124 posts

Welcome! Just a warning, you will get as many ideas as you do answers. Ha!

1. Yes, this would make sense to me. Although Greece might be better done in summer, at a slower pace.
  2. Yes. I suspect you CAN do two countries and the answer isn’t the same for every two countries. And will probably change by summer anyway. You do not have to get tested to enter every European country - there are quite a few now,without that requirement. But yes, you currently need a test to come home. A quick antigen test the day before your flight will do it.
  3. You didn’t mention Scotland, Ireland, or Scandinavia. I really enjoyed Stockholm and would have been happy to spend more than the 5 days I had. I paired it with Copenhagen for a total of 10 days. Plenty of city exploring! The weather in July, 2018, was very pleasant. Same with Scotland.

Have fun planning!

Edit * Kim and I were writing at the same time!

Posted by
4765 posts

I vote two weeks in Switzerland.

We did that Sept, 2021, and it was an incredible trip in a beautiful country. Altho the Swiss cities do get warm in the summer, it won't be like southern countries, and you can spend much of your time in the mountains. Going to more than one country will most likely involve tracking paper, airline downloads, who-knows-what testing x 4 people. Completing - and downloading- all the necessary info for our Sept, 2021 trip took hours, and you'll have it for four people times the number of countries. [It's not that the paperwork is overwhelming, it that's the apps and online systems involved were clunky and unfriendly.]

If you do plan two countries, have a flexible Plan B, in the event that one country becomes too complicated to enter. The covid mandates are ever-changing, and as I lived thru planning/completing a covid-era trip, can attest to how much work travel is now. But is was SO worth it!
Safe travels!

Posted by
6788 posts

Ireland. Scotland. Denmark. Poland. Estonia.

Start with this...
Count your full, usable days on the ground in Europe carefully and honestly (so, do not count the day you arrive or depart, no matter what time that's scheduled for.). Is that really "10 days" -- could be as little as 7, the way some folks count (to delude themselves).

For that short a trip, pick one of the countries listed above. If you want to do two countries, add some more days to your trip.

Have fun.

Posted by
6113 posts

It’s impossible to predict what the Covid situation will be, but it’s easier keeping up to date if you limit yourselves to one or two countries.

Switzerland is eye wateringly expensive. As an 11 year old, it’s the last place I would have wanted to visit! Scandinavia is also up there cost wise, if budget is an issue.

Northern Spain would be temperate in July, but the south would be hot.

Scotland is very different to London and has plenty of castles and museums to explore.

Belgium and Holland would work within your timeframe. Brussels isn’t my favourite city, but Ghent and Bruges are worth visiting.

I wouldn’t go to Greece in December.

Posted by
7683 posts

Scandanavia and Switzerland are the most expensive places in Europe, but great to visit.

Recommend a cruise of the Norwegian fjords all the way to the North Cape. check out Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Lines.

Posted by
1674 posts

We are a family of four- husband, wife, and 2 kids- 11 and 15.

The biggest question is what do your 11 and 15 year old want to do? Everyone's children are different. I would explore the internet for advice on traveling Europe with kids. If it was just adults I would have a lot of suggestions, but with 2 youngsters, I am not sure there is a simple answer. Good luck and enjoy,.

Posted by
3907 posts

Consider Poland! Fascinating culture, great food, walkable towns, day trips easily done on the train/bus, world-class museums, Poland has a rich and varied history stretching back over 1000 years, of medieval towns, castle ruins, and royal baroque cities.

If you are really interested in Castles, near Gdansk in northern Poland is Malbork Castle, the largest castle in the world, and not just your grandma's neo-gothic pleasure palace, this is the real deal as it was the headquarters of the Teutonic Knights, complete with all the defensive architecture you need to repel a large scale siege.

Coincidently, Rick Steves is inaugurating a 10-day Best of Poland tour this year, it might give you some ideas for your own 10-day itinerary - https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/eastern-europe/poland-tour

Posted by
3861 posts

Ireland. They have puffins, a short train ride from Dublin. They have a few different falcon schools and sheepdog herding demonstrations. They have Tayto Park, an amusement park/zoo based on the potatoe chips (know people who went and had fun) definitely something different. Some pubs allow children till early evening which could be fun for your teens, you could research horseback riding. Ireland is beautiful in the summer and not too hot. Very kid friendly country.

Posted by
2415 posts

Fly to Frankfurt and make your way to Amsterdam. Plenty of museums and castles along the way.

Posted by
6419 posts
  1. Yes, if you don't like hot weather is makes a lot of sense. I might be biased, but Scandinavia seems like a great option. Also, remember that coastal areas are usually less hot than further inland.

2. Two or maybe three neighbouring countries might work. Also, crossing the external EU border might make things a bit more complicated.

3. For busy cities in not super hot climates, Copenhagen and Stockholm would be a great combination for 10 days.

Posted by
99 posts

I would be in the corner for Copenhagen for least a couple of days with time for Tivoli for the kids.

Posted by
8158 posts

Have you considered taking a cruise while in Europe? We were on a Baltic cruise 4 years ago and discovered that's the cheapest way to see Scandanavia and St. Petersburg. The region is deadly expensive if you're traveling on the ground. After the cruise, we caught a quick flight over to Oslo and took a train and hydrofoil through the fjords over to Bergen, Norway.

We're going back on a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Copenhagen the end of May with our granddaughter. Honestly, the cruise was so inexpensive that we couldn't turn it down. We'll be in London for a week upon our return on the cruise. We also found flights out of our city for half the normal airfare going to Europe.

Don't worry about Covid right now. Any rules today could easily change by the time you go. It'll all work out okay.

We try to travel in Spring and later in the year--after September 1st. Mid Summer is not the best time to travel in the South unless you're going into The Alps.

Posted by
6419 posts

There is a common misunderstanding that the Scandinavian countries are very expensive to visit. True, if you want to stay in luxury hotels and have dinner at fancy restaurants with a lot of alcohol every night it will be expensive. But, it is possible to travel in Scandinavia in a more economical way without hitchhiking and sleeping in parks.

Posted by
247 posts

Amsterdam
Berlin (WW2 history, museums, alternative scene, gritty city) - (Prague is close by - touristy "fairy tale" city)
Switzerland (natural beauty. not hot!) - (Munich-Bavaria/black forest are close by)

don't worry about covid travel if you have vaccine card. i entered europe w/o showing my covid test. its super easy to cross EU borders with vaccine card only.

Posted by
17972 posts

Yes, it being Summer I would avoid any place where you might melt. G-d knows the locals will be gone in the warm locations, the restaurants closed and the tourist attractions closed because of the summer heat. Besides, you will certainly be back in cool weather (before everything closes again for the winter) to participate in the 3/4ths of Europe you are now excluding. To be mabye 5 degrees cooler is much better than to be among that which you are interested in while wearing shorts.

Posted by
2965 posts

My vote is for the Berner Oberland in Switzerland (CH). Because we have no idea what COVID restrictions will be in place early Jul, I recommend spending all ten days in one country and CH has plenty to keep you occupied.