Please sign in to post.

Where to go in December?

Hi all
I have a birthday coming up in the first half of December and would like to take a trip to Europe to celebrate. I have been to London, France and Spain in the past. I wouldn't mind going back, but I would like to go somewhere I haven't been in Europe. Any thoughts? I would most likely be traveling solo, as December is such a busy season and most like will be unable to convince friends to join me. I welcome your suggestions.

PG

Posted by
7175 posts

How long are you thinking of taking? I too have a birthday in early December, so maybe I should come with you !! lol

Posted by
46 posts

To have the most beautiful birthday, you must go to Bavaria. Depending on the amount of time you are going to travel, consider 'basing' in Pasing-Munich and taking day trips to the following beautiful places : Garmisch-Partenkirchen , Mittenwald, Oberammergau, and Fussen. We visited these places in April, and fell in love...we now have a longing to return...beautiful scenery, wonderful people. If in fact you decide to take this suggestion, message me and I will share with you the wonderful place we rented through Airbnb for our stay. PS... Christmas markets will be being held. I am so envious just hoping you may get to do this.

Posted by
7175 posts

I would agree with Bavaria (and the Austrian Tirol perhaps) for December.
Italy may be a sunny addition - Florence, Rome, Naples.

Posted by
17911 posts

Italy sunny in December?

ROME
Temperature 9°C 48°F
Low Temperature 4°C 39°F
High Temperature 13°C 55°F
Sunshine Hours 6 hrs

Chance of Sunny Day 33 %

Rainfall 111mm

Rainfall days 14 days

Chance of Rain 43 %

MUNICH
Temperature 1°C 33°F
Low Temperature -2°C 28°F
High Temperature 3°C 37°F
Sunshine Hours 10 hrs

Chance of Sunny Day 5 %

Rainfall 20mm

Rainfall days 15 days

Chance of Rain 45 %

Posted by
18 posts

So many choices, and beginning of December is also a very good time to find cheap places to stay and discounts in many places. Amsterdam is beautiful at this time of year, and it is usually quite an expensive place to stay in a regular hotel (the hostels are usually about the same price, but give more discounts in winter), but at this time of year you can almost have the whole city for free. How much are you hoping to spend? It is a good time to see the city without too many tourists, because most of the year Amsterdam is very full of tourists. Every weekend too, but early December and all of January from new year until the beginning of march is very cheap and quieter.

What kind of things do you like to see? The nature, the museums, the parties....?

I just traveled to Rome for the first time last month and it was an amazing experience. If you need warmer winter weather than Amsterdam it is a place to go! I would love to go back, and it looks affordable in the first 2 weeks of the month, many discounts, etc. Both cities are excellent for someone traveling alone, and easy to make friends too!

I have been to Norway in the winter and Denmark too, and of course they are even colder than Holland, but beautiful places, and at this time of year it is the only time when the accommodations are at their cheapest too. Everything else is so expensive there, this must be the most affordable time of year to come and at least save on a place to stay. Norway is full of nature's beauty but also people who like to party.

Depends what you like and the weather you can handle, also your budget. Are you trying to see more than one place or only one country or city?

Posted by
6501 posts

Pick a big city you haven't seen and would like to see, and maybe another if you have enough time. Farther north = colder and less daylight, farther south = warmer and more daylight. But big cities give you indoor and evening options you won't find in smaller towns or rural areas, so don't just base it on the weather statistics. And as James' data shows, there won't be any real warm-weather options in December.

If the choice were mine I'd pick Rome and/or Berlin because I haven't been there and they're both great cities full of attractions and activities. But Europe is your oyster, and it's your birthday. My only real advice is to be as urban as you can that time of year. Assuming that you're not into skiing -- if you are it's a different ballgame entirely!

Posted by
11315 posts

A city trip is the best plan in case of poor weather. Roma and Firenze have so much to offer no matter the weather, and early December is my favorite time in Venezia. Have been there three times in early Dec! We have had amazing weather in Sorrento in mid-December, too. If you do a classic Roma-Firenze-Venezia trip, allow yourself AT LEAST 10 nights on the ground, more is better. If you have good weather get out, take day trips, and if the weather is poor, hit the museums!

Posted by
7175 posts

ROME Chance of Sunny Day 33 %
MUNICH Chance of Sunny Day 5 %
To be honest if you go to Munich you are not expecting to be outside in the cold, sun or no sun.
In Rome it would be an added bonus to soak up some winter rays.

Posted by
10188 posts

Stick with a large city or two or a place with a large tourist infrastructure. Those small, wonderful, charming towns and villages can be dreary as all get-out in winter, the exception being winter sports resorts.

Posted by
8141 posts

I'd try the Algarve region of southern Portugal, Barcelona, Italy, Greece--staying down south for the warmer temperatures and better weather.

Posted by
191 posts

Munich and Vienna are great in winter, especially with the Christmas markets. Just pack boots, long underwear, a warm coat, scarf, gloves and you'll be good to go! I took a walking tour of Munich while it was snowing and it was still fun.

Posted by
4828 posts

Bets makes a very good point. I've spent time in some of the small quaint places during December and she is spot on about the "ambiance".

Posted by
12040 posts

Those small, wonderful, charming towns and villages can be dreary as all get-out in winter, the exception being winter sports resorts.

One more exception- if you're in the town during their Weihnachtsmarkt. Unlikely city markets, though, which generally last a few weeks, the Christmarkets in small towns usually only run for a few days over a weekend. You would need to research and time your visit accordingly.

Posted by
121 posts

I've never been, but maybe look into the Christmas markets in Germany that may be going on then.

Posted by
162 posts

Pattie, I have spent the last 3 Christmases in Prague/Czech Republic. Prague has nice Christmas Markets, but nicer ones can be found in Germany. Dresden is a 2 hour train ride from Prague, so it makes a nice daytrip.

Posted by
3 posts

Hello,
I don't have much to offer in advice but will be watching your post as it is the only one I have seen relating to Europe in December (when my wife and I hope to travel.)

I have done some basic research on "The Arctic Express" train through the Swiss Alps, which seems spectacular and have also looked into some of the Christmas bazaars in Vienna. Prague seems like it would be good any time of the year if you like architecture.

Good luck!

Posted by
15582 posts

I took a 1.5 week trip in mid-December to see the Christmas markets from Alsace through southern Germany to Salzburg. The markets were in full swing everywhere. Expect crowds. It was great fun for me for 11 days because I don't see Christmas decorations or hear Christmas music where I live. Most of the markets start opening around lunch time so you can visit tourist sights in the morning and early afternoon. By 6 or 7 p.m. they start getting crowded with locals out for the evening after work and then they aren't so enjoyable. In the smaller towns they seemed to close up around 7 p.m. Munich was the only place I visited where they went past 9 p.m. There were lots of tourists, mainly European, so you should book hotels well in advance. The main squares will be filled with booths and decorations so don't expect to see the charming plazas and old buildings from the outside.

From what I've heard, the Eastern European cities (like Prague and Budapest) are similar, while Italy's pretty low-key. So for "traditional" sightseeing, that's where I'd go, with the additional benefits of longer daylight hours and generally milder weather.

Posted by
12172 posts

I think the further south the better, more for longer days than necessarily warm weather. Italy from Rome south, Andalusia, Malta, etc. are good choices.

Posted by
219 posts

We were in Lyon, France for a week in early December 2012 visiting our daughter. The Fete de Lumieres was going on, very cool if you like walking and seeing all the different displays. It goes for 4 nights around Dec 8. It was unusually cold during our week long stay, in the 30's. We also visited Perouges and Vienne.

Posted by
252 posts

I was in Norway, Denmark, Czech Republic , Slovakia, and Finland in November/December and loved it.
Yes, it is cold but put my in a christmassy mood. Would do it again any time. Not too many tourist and had some attractions to myself almost :) But did find plenty of tourists when I felt like socializing more. Tell us more about your interests for better advice.
Bon voyage!

Posted by
2906 posts

Hi,

I'd pick Salzburg, Innsbruck and Munich and day trips to some smaller towns and villages. The Christmas Markets are open every day and the holiday atmosphere is wonderful.

Posted by
18 posts

Rome is the obvious answer, especially when the city is getting ready for Christmas.

Posted by
2 posts

wow.... thanks for everyone's suggestions! I'm still in the planning stages but will make this happen to celebrate!

Posted by
17911 posts

Very easy, very well documented and very enjoyable in the winter is Prague to Vienna to Budapest. Well connected by train, less expensive than Western Europe, good Christmas Markets and winter is when the Cultural events are at their height in this part of the world. You didn't say how long your trip was. The three cities is a minimum of 9 days (one week with two weekends) but does better with two full weeks. With the two full weeks you can add in over night stays at travel mid points like Cesky Krumlov and Gyor or day trips to places like Melk or overnight trips to places like Eger. OR, just use the extra time to add Munich to the trip.