Please sign in to post.

Where to go in 2011

I am attempting to plan my fall 2011 European vacation. In 2010, I was in Florence, Cinque Terre, Munich and Berlin. Got stuck (enjoyably) in Zurich due to the volcano eruption.
This year I am trying to decide between the Adriatic side of Italy versus Belgium, Netherlands, and southern England. Am planning for Sept/Oct. I am mid-50s and independant traveler. Any suggestions?

Posted by
2168 posts

This is a very personal decision, depending on your likes and dislikes. But since you asked ... I personally would highly recommend the Adriatic side of Italy. The weather that time of year would be perfect, and the little unspoiled towns would be fun to visit. Or, even better, since you're an independent traveler, go to Croatia. It's gorgeous and totally different than the other areas you've visited (and less expensive too). Or go to Greece! If visiting Greek islands, you'd want to time your trip to be on the islands in September (most islands start "closing down" in October and ferry service declines). But there's still lots to see on the mainland in October.

Posted by
1893 posts

We did a bike tour in Southern England (Wessex) region in September last year. The weather was cold, and wet. If you go England/Belgium Sept/Oct, it will be cool, so plan ahead. We enjoyed England, what we saw from the bike, Stonehenge, Bath, Wells, Salisbury, the stones at Avebury. The pubs were fun, the food was good, the inn keepers the friendliest we've ever experienced. So aside from the weather (on a bike not as enjoyable as if you rent a car) England was a joy to see. I'd go back to see another region when I can. Plus London is full of history! Was in Belgium years and years ago, and no experience with the netherlands, but wanted to give you my 2¢ (cents) about England

Posted by
791 posts

The most obvious Adriatic destination would be Venice of course, assuming you haven't been there. Besides that, you've got Trieste, Bologna (one of the best kept secrets in Italy), San Marino and Ravenna as highlights. All are on or relatively close to the Adriatic coast. I guess it would depend on what you're looking to do or see.