Please sign in to post.

Where to go?

We have decided to travel through Europe for three weeks during August in 2010. We,of course, want to see it all. Paris, London, Prague, Budapest, Florence are all on our list. Is this too much? Are we better off trying for fewer countries? My wife and I are in our late forties and our daughter will be 17 so we think we have the stamina but we don't want this to be a "If it's tuesday it must be..." experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
156 posts

The route you suggest would involve too much travl time and I would suggest you stick to main cities for a first trip partly because they are so accessable and also because they are all so different. My route would be London 5 days, Paris and Berlin 4 days each and south to Munich for 5 days. All are on excellent train routes,central for local tours and would provide interests for both parents and daughter.

Posted by
15237 posts

I agree that seems like too much.

However, I would suggest something different...for your first trip, see the big three....London, Paris, Rome...and a couple of days in Florence. You might be able to add one or two places in between for short stops.

On your next trip, in 2011, go East....Berlin, Prague, Budapest, Vienna, etc.

Posted by
32221 posts

Geoffrey,

If you haven't already, the first thing to do would be to read Europe Through The Back Door, especially the Itinerary planning chapter. I have to agree with the others in that your proposed list of cities is a bit "ambitious" for a three week trip.

For example, using open jaw flights you could begin in London (least culture shock), then Paris, perhaps a short stop in Switzerland or the Cinque Terre (to break up the journey a bit), then Florence and Rome. It's best to plan for at least four days in the larger cities (London, Paris, Rome) as there's a lot of history there and LOTS to see and do.

Given your location, you might find it useful to attend one of Rick's Travel Festivals or classes in Edmonds. It's a good way to obtain lots of information in one day.

Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
12172 posts

My concept is to stay within a particular region so your travel days can be short hops.

Each long travel day sacrifices a day of vacation.

For example: the British Isles, France or Italy by themselves, Spain and Portugal, Greece and some Turkey, Benelux through Southern Germany and some of Austria, or Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Budapest make reasonble itineraries. You get the idea. Cut a logical swath through a region with short trips between stops.

Three weeks is a great length for a vacation. You will still wish you had twice the time.

Posted by
668 posts

I agree that you should attend one of Rick's travel expos. We did in 2006 before our first big tour and it wa swell worth the money! They are free, except for your cost to get there and if you need an hotel. They cover an awful lot in a short time and you can tailor your attendance to what interests you. My wife and I split up and went to different ones, then exchanged notes. We also were able to talk to someone fac eto face about our specific plans and bout our rail passes. I knwo there is controversy about their value, but they worked for us at that time.

Reagrdless of where you go, you will have a great time. Just do not ry to see toomuch and do spend enough time in each place to absorb the atmosphere. It is great after a couple of days to dtep out of your hotel and feel at home!

Posted by
934 posts

I also suggest going to Steves travel classes.We traveled from Wisconsin several yaers ago and enjoyed them.