Please sign in to post.

Where to go?

Help! We're a family of 6 (two parents, four kids ages 24, 21, 18, 16) who want to travel from 12/24 to 12/31. We're thinking about Rome or Barcelona, or even Lima, but we're open to all ideas. We love cultural sites but also love hiking and natural sites. We like getting around on our own (rarely rent a car), and would prefer someplace less expensive and also not cold. Ideas? Preference between Barcelona or Rome? Thanks!

Posted by
1054 posts

Haven't been to Barcelona but if I was going over Christmas time I'd go back to Rome.

Posted by
4637 posts

I have been to Rome few times so myself I would choose Lima or Barcelona. If you haven't been to any of them then I would think that Rome has the most cultural sites. IMHO Rome has the most pickpockets per square mile but I heard that Barcelona is even worse.

Posted by
15269 posts

I have never been to Lima (Peru). I presume the weather in Lima in December would be better than either Rome and Barcelona (I have been to both many times, having relatives in both, including December).

Both Rome and Barcelona have plenty of cultural exhibits and events all year around, but December is not hiking weather. Although winters in the Mediterranean are not harsh, however temperatures will likely be rather cold at night (just above 0 centigrade or low 30s F) and around 10 degree C (50 F) during the day. Snow is not common at low altitudes (both cities are at sea level), however rain is.

The comment above about pickpockets is total B.S. meant to scare you and is probably from someone who does not know either city. Considering that crime in Lima (Peru) is among the highest in the world, and many times the crime in Europe, I wouldn't necessarily choose it over Europe based on that fact alone.

Posted by
4637 posts

Rome is beautiful city and I am sure that Barcelona too. My comment is not B.S., it was my opinion based on my experience in Rome and it was meant not to scare but alert. Money belt is absolute necessity there. From several people I heard that Barcelona was even worse in that aspect. Hard to imagine. I don't know about Lima but from what I heard you should be alert and not only of pickpockets. I do not intent to scare anybody but I think if I am aware of something which could adversely affect you I should mention it.

Posted by
15269 posts

I have never been pick pocketed in any European cities. Also I've never witnessed anybody being pick pocketed anywhere in European cities. I've never worn a money belt, I don't own one and I don't plan to buy one either.

If your anecdotal evidence has any value, then my evidence constitutes very robust statistical data since I've been to Europe at least 30 times and have lived there for about 28 years, in a large city in Italy.

Posted by
4637 posts

Roberto, I have never been successfully pickpocketed anywhere not only in Europe. But attempts were made. Multiple in Rome (I was in Rome twice for about one week), one attempt in Prague Main Train Station by two Polish guys. ( I was in Prague maybe thirty times). I agree that sometimes the evaluation of the cities could be subjective because we judge by our own experience. Nevertheless check the website James posted. First Barcelona, second Prague, third Rome. Based on my own experience I would switch the second with the third. So here is the story: My very first time in Rome I am going by subway from Termini station to downtown. I was standing holding the pole. Next to me there is a gypsy woman standing holding the pole with one hand and her baby with the other hand. Suddenly I feel somebody is searching my pockets. But nobody besides her is around. It was her. The hand which was holding her baby was fake. Few days later we were going by bus # 64 to Vatican. Two attempts were made by two different guys during that one ride. But see, it did not discouraged me. Several years later I came again and this time I was luckier, did not register any attempt.

Posted by
12172 posts

First of all, are you hoping for Christmas celebrations?

If so, I'd rule out Barcelona for a couple of reasons. First, Barcelona is the least religious city in Spain. Second, Spain celebrates Jan. 6th (aka Three Kings Day, the Epiphany, 12th day of Christmas) so you won't be there for their Christmas.

Barcelona doesn't get freezing like some parts of Spain in winter but it won't be beach weather.

It will be hiking season in Lima (asuming you mean Peru). I haven't been to Lima so can't give you any first hand advice.

Rome would be my choice. There is so much to see and it will be especially lively (if crowded) during the Christmas season. The weather should be cool and possibly rainy but not freezing.

Posted by
678 posts

Two years ago we went to Barcelona at Christmas and New Year's with our family group of 8 (my husband and myself, 4 sons, 1 daughter-in-law and one friend, all ages 21-30). We rented an apartment in a small beach town suburb (El Masnou) of Barcelona and traveled back and forth into Barcelona on the train everyday. The train was efficient, clean and very cheap and was only a 25 minute ride into the city. I recommend renting an apartment that will accomodate all of you rather than several hotel rooms. Also look into hostales, (small family run hotels- not youth hostels) for better prices. The weather was great, sunny with daytime temperatures in the high fifties to low sixties and nights a little cooler. It was never cold. There is much to see and do in the Barcelona area. We also took a train out to Montserrat, which you should include in your itenerary and a train to Girona for a day. We did lots of walking and also relied on public transportation. Our family are big football (soccer) fans so a visit to the famous Camp Nou FC Barcelona was a must.

There are also lots of other towns near Barcelona in the mountains or near the coast that would be interesting to explore. I have been to Rome, but not at Christmas. Both are great destinations. Don't think that either is particularly less expensive. For that I would look into someplace like Croatia. Lima and Macchu Picchu would also be a great trek. I have not been to Lima so cannot offer specific advice about that but I have lived in both Europe and Latin America and you are talking about two completely different experiences, each unique in its own way.

Posted by
252 posts

I have not been to Lima so cannot comment. I would vote for Rome too!!! It is such a wonderful city with lots to do and you can easily do a side trip or two by train. I would think visiting the Vatican would be magical around that time of year...even if you are not super religious. Barcelona and other cities nearby have decent beaches...so perhaps save that destination for later.
I would think that teens/young adults like your kids would love Rome and find plenty to do just like you. You can do lots by foot in Rome or use the Metro.

I may biased...but Rome may be my favorite city in Europe...The people, the food, the cultural sites...It has it all. And is somewhat affordable compared to Oslo, Copenhagen, London, Helsinki, Paris, etc.

As for the pickpocket issue...I am with Roberto. I have been to over 40 countries. Never happened. I have never worn a money belt. If it works for you great...But I think it is wrong to say you must wear one like Ilja suggested. Be aware of your surroudings, do not carry too much cash or valuables, if you have a day bag or purse perhaps try to have the cross-body type, etc.

Roberto, wouldnt you like to see a study with numbers about pickpockets? ;) I have yet to see one in action.

Posted by
18161 posts
Posted by
1501 posts

IxNay on the Pickpicket topic! I'm 63 years old, female, Spain multiple times, Italy multiple times, France, Switzerland, Austria, etc................and never had a problem!

Re Rome or Barcelona on this trip! Can't recommend Lima, haven't been there, just Mexico, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Is your family at all Religious/Catholic/Christian? If so, I would definitely choose Rome. The Holiday will be spectacular in Rome! Just make sure to get dinner reservations for 24 and 25. Your hotel should be able to recommend places open, unless you choose an apartment and cook your own Christmas dinner. If not at all religious, you may enjoy Barcelona more.

I can think of nothing more lovely than Christmas in Rome. I've done Easter in Rome, and found it very moving. Not to say that Barcelona isn't lovely, but I'd rather be there during warmer weather, while Rome, warm or cool is not so much about the weather as the history, architecture, and of course St. Peters/Vatican. As another poster commented, the Colosseum is majestic, whether 40 degrees of 70.

Posted by
873 posts

I vote for Rome (but cannot really consider Lima since have not been). It looks like everything in Rome will be open during your time frame with the exception of the 25th. It would be great if you guys could find an apartment to rent. Have fun! I did not find it terribly expensive for a big city!

Posted by
14580 posts

If you intend to take your chances on being a victim of pickpocketing, it's well known in certain cities your chances are lessened in escaping that whereas in other cities I stand a much greater chance of escaping it. It's not going to be disputed that being picked in Rome and Barcelona are a lot more likely than in Vienna or London.

Posted by
873 posts

I am no statistician, but wouldn't wearing a moneybelt equalize one's chances of being pickpocketed regardless of location. I have been to most cities you mentioned, and experienced an equal level of pickpocketing (zero). In London, am I more likely to be headbutted in a pub than in Rome?

Posted by
105 posts

Enough of the pickpocket discussion....be careful, but not paranoid, everywhere...enough said.

Cannot comment on Lima. I would choose Rome over Barcelona. A short train or bus trip could have you in some beautiful areas to hike, plus you get all the cultural sites. Also, I would guess Rome at Christmas would be special....