Please sign in to post.

Where to go?

My husband's and my first trip to Europe together was postponed. We were going to go to Portugal. We are planning on the first two weeks of October, 2023. Now we are second guessing ourselves as to where we want to go. I realize everyone has a different opinion but just wanted to get a few opinions. We love history, walking to explore a place, beaches, my husband loves museums me not so much, good coffee, wine, warm weather. My husband prefers to really get to know a place so wherever we decide, he would prefer to stay in two places, three maximum. We would prefer to use public transportation as opposed to renting a car but I do have my international license so we could rent a car. We are flying from western Canada. Thank you in advance. Oh, I should mention we don't need 5 star places to stay, just clean, comfortable and safe.

Posted by
6355 posts

You might want to look through a guidebook first and get some ideas of places that look interesting to you. Everyone is different so it's better if you narrow down your selections first. The DK guides are good for that because they have a lot of full color glossy photos. Another option is to check out some of the Rick Steves' videos on this site or even look at the itinerary for his Portugal tour.

If you have some ideas now but can't commit, maybe list them here and people who have been there can tell you their experiences with them. :)

Posted by
1654 posts

Lisbon is one of my favourite cities in Europe. Portugal is beautiful, comparatively inexpensive, and has wonderful food. I really think you can't go wrong with Portugal. We didn't have a car when we went, but staying in Lisbon and doing day trips from there worked for us. Maybe someone else can chime in on visiting other cities and regions.

Since there aren't direct flights from Alberta cities (I'm in Calgary), you will have to fly through another airport--likely London--unless you want to go through Toronto. So, why not spend a few days in London on the way there or back?

We stayed in a marvellous apartment in the castle district, but if you are more comfortable having a front desk, a hotel might be a better bet for you. Lisbon has great transportation, and the Lisboa Card is good for the subway (including to/from the airport), buses and trams, and trains to Sintra and Cascais, as well as admission or discounts to many of the major sites.

In London, we stayed here: http://www.tudorcourtpaddington.co.uk It was a great location, just around the corner from Paddington Station (two tube lines intersect there, and the airport train stops there) and walking distance to Hyde Park.

Posted by
32 posts

Do you mind sharing where you stayed in Lisbon? We don't need a front desk. How long did you stay in Lisbon? We are in Edmonton. Calgary has better international flights than us. Thank you.

Posted by
1654 posts

I'm not sure the apartment we stayed in is still available. (It was 2015.)

The link no longer goes directly to that apartment, and I don't see it in the list that shows up when I click on the old link. https://www.tripadvisor.ca/VacationRentals-g189158-Reviews-Lisbon_Lisbon_District_Central_Portugal-Vacation_Rentals.html

While looking for it on other platforms, I came across this one, though, that looks pretty similar, and the host is a "Superhost." https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/13325238

Posted by
6788 posts

Look here: On any page of this website...

Click Explore Europe
Under Countries, click Portugal
In the center section, click Plan to expand that section
Under Plan, click Portugal: Recommended Itinerary
Feast your eyes.

Too much drilling down through the steps? Just click here.

Use Rick's suggest itineraries as a starting point, and customize them to your own tastes (he goes fast, too fast for many people, so consider slowing down).

Buy the guidebook and look through it. It's cheap, will save you many times the cost of the book itself, and will help you make good choices that are right for you.

Portugal is wonderful, and should check all your boxes.

Posted by
6569 posts

It doesn’t matter much where you go. Make a decision and go. Way too many people say they want to go someplace, but never do and before you know it, 5 years have passed.

We are planning a Portugal trip later this year. There are plenty of places to visit and things to keep one occupied for a few weeks. We will be getting a rental car for most of the trip to give us flexibility with day trips without being dependent on public bus or train schedules. A few of the places we intend on visiting are in the middle of nowhere.

Posted by
32 posts

You are so right! I am going this October, with or without my husband!