Please sign in to post.

where to go!!!!

I need help. WE are a family of 4(2 teenage boys) travelling to Europe next July)....WE are starting our trip in Scotland(my son is there playing soccer) for 10 days. from there we are planning on spending a few days in London, then moving on to Brugge fro 3 or 4 days. From there Paris, and then to Nice.I will have one week left before our flight leaves London...Any suggestions on where to go? Thanks

Posted by
331 posts

Any interest in Italy?
We are also a family of 4 (2 tween girls) and this past july we spent 5 weeks travelling. We were in Holland,France and Italy, and for all of us Italy was our favorite place. If you are in Nice anyway, take a train into Italy. Cinque Terre is nice (crowded, but not as bad as Nice) but there are tons of lovely towns along the coast to visit. Have your son's do some of the planning (we let our girls do alot of it) it takes the pressure off of you, and gets them excited about the adventure. Bon Voyage

Posted by
3551 posts

Consider adding the Normandy area WWII battlefields) and if you have a car Mont St Michel. I think it is imp for teenagers to see and understand. It is not morbid but solemn &moving. Stay at a gite in that area, french farm to experience french hospitality and ambiance.The french coast line and countryside is lovely. Realize that Nice is very crowded in summer. Think wall to wall tourists. Beaches are very small with cobbles not sand and sometimes topless. If you still want to go you can train from town to town on the Riviera. All very diff from one another. Why not spend your London time at end of trip and take more time there? it is easily a 5 day stay and take one extra day for Cambridge or Oxford on a bus trip or tour.

Posted by
15134 posts

Lots you could do..

Spend more time in Britain and visit places such as York, Bath, Oxford, Cotswalds;

Since you'll be in Belgium, why not add the Netherlands;

The Rhine Valley,

More of France--Normandy, Provence,

I'd actually keep Italy for another trip and do is separately. There is so much to see in Italy.

However, when you do travel, try not to backtrack. Think of going in a circle.

Posted by
525 posts

My first vote would be to explore France more before heading home. Provence, Loire, Burgundy. This will be a nice offset to the sightseeing pace of London/Paris. I hesitate to add Italy/Rome at the end because you will be (or at least I would be) burned out from sightseeing. And Italy is probably better to save for when you are FRESH. It can be your "carrot" to dangle for returning to Europe again.

my second choice if you are feeling like burning through Europe more would be 2 nights Cinque Terra and 4 nights Rome. Then fly Rome to London to get home. If you do go to CT - make sure to eat the pesto and drink the lemoncello. The coffee only gets better as you head into Italy. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Posted by
41 posts

I spend a year living in Nice, France and used the bus to visit many wonderful charming small villages. Spending a week in Nice means you will have time to visit, perhaps, Eze or La Turbie or my favorite, Monte Carlo and Cannes. Oh! and don't forget Antibes. See? So much to see and experience.
Have a great trip.

Posted by
12172 posts

Rather than adding more, maybe you can add days inside your current range. Either adding a day or two in Paris and London and/or adding intermediate overnight stops.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for all the advice...It looks like we will add a few more days in Paris and England.I think we will save Italy for a future trip......Have a good one

Carol

Posted by
11507 posts

Totally with Brad on this one, don't add more place, but more time in the places like Paris and maybe Nice. Paris needs at least 5 days, as does London if you plan on a few sidetrips( which you should) , you could easily spend 2 weeks in a city like Paris( and surrounds) and not see everything.

Make sure to take boys to the Catacombs in Paris, you will be coolest mom ever.

Nice would be a nice beach break for boys, swimming , topless girls, and relaxing after all the running about.