Please sign in to post.

Where to go

For some reason I'm having a hard time deciding on my trip this year. I usually travel with friends although I've also traveled alone. this year will be a solo trip and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm a 64 year old woman and I have trips planned to France/Belgium and England/Wales/Scotland for 2015 and 2016. I've been to England, Scotland, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. I've never been overly interested in visiting Spain but would like to see Portugal. I am also interested in the Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary and Sicily. My interests are art, museums and history and tend to really enjoy taking my time in museums when traveling alone. I also would prefer not to have to deal with any really complicated travel arrangements this time. So, any suggestions?

Posted by
16893 posts

Spain is a great destination for art museums. You can combine Spain and Portugal by bus (e.g., Seville-Lisbon), overnight train (Madrid-Lisbon), or flying, but there aren't as many options as you might guess.

Or if you have a few weeks, you could see many highlights of Prague, Krakow, Budapest, and some smaller towns nearby. See Rick's tour itinerary for ideas. You can also watch TV shows to get more inspiration.

Posted by
6525 posts

George makes a good case for Poland based on its heroic history. Despite their more, shall we say, mixed history, I'd also plug Hungary and the Czech Republic. One of the ironies of European travel is that some of the most beautiful cities are beautiful because they weren't heavily bombed, i.e. because, for various reasons, not all heroic, they weren't big military targets. That's why Paris is more beautiful than London, Budapest and Vienna and Prague more beautiful than Warsaw, and so on. This is worth knowing but not a problem you're responsible, as a tourist, for solving. Krakow is the best preserved of the Polish cities George mentioned, and the nearby Auschwitz-Birkenau complex gives you a chance to think about why the Allies spared it.

Portugal and Sicily are outliers on your list, maybe best combined with another trip to Italy and one to Spain (if you get more interested).

One more thought, back to the ironies, Vienna has some of the best museums in Europe, perhaps not unrelated to the inhabitants' lack of resistance (to put it mildly) to the Nazis. A great place to linger over great art with no one hurrying you along.

Posted by
4156 posts

Please don't discount Spain. There is enough art, architecture and history for anyone there. The Prado alone can keep you entranced for days. We went to Madrid specifically to go there and to see the Guernica at the Sofia. We went to Seville for the Flamenco and to Cordoba for the Mezquita. We went to the north for the Guggenheim in Bilbao. In Barcelona it was Miro and Gaudi. We plan to spend a month in Spain in 2015. I know even that will not be enough time.

Portugal was fascinating, but I don't feel the urge to go back.

We loved Sicily, and I would love to go back, but our daughter drove us around, and I think a car would be needed to do it justice.

Posted by
7036 posts

Teena, you don't say when you are going or how long you have to travel but I'll have to add my 2 cents to those recommending the central European countries. I have an upcoming solo trip planned (June/July) that includes Poland (Krakow), Czech Rep (Prague & CK), Hungary (Budapest) and Austria (Vienna) and I'm starting to get really excited about it. I have about 5 weeks and will also go to Brussels and a couple of cities in Germany so I do have a lot of travel arrangements - not too complicated but did take some research and planning. I share your travel interests and, based on all my research and the amazing information I have acquired on this forum, I am looking forward to these historic cities and their art/history/museums etc.

ps: I envy you your planned trips in 2015 & 2016, I wish I could afford to go every year but have to content myself with every 2-3 years.

Posted by
7378 posts

We really enjoyed Sicily in December 2012, and had just a week there and could've easily spent more time. We flew into Palermo, drove a rental car in a counter-clickwise direction, and took a ferry back to the Italian mainland. The roads were toll-free, in good condition and not crowded in December, but towns had extremely narrow streets and lots of steep hills. Don't know if that all qualifies as really complicated.

A western extension of the Greek empire, Sicily is full of ancient Greek ruins and temples (many of which are in remarkably good shape), but there are also Roman sites that are fascinating. Many other civilizations have occupied Sicily over the millenia, so there's a lot of history and cultures to discover. We didn't spend time in Palermo, and the museums we visited covered history and ancient artefacts; we didn't find a Louvre, Prado, or Tate in Sicily. The weather was pleasant in December, but in high summer I imagine it would be exceedingly hot. Sicilians are warm and inviting (it was Christmastime, after all), and the food was outstanding, and one of the highlights of our trip.

Posted by
105 posts

Hello, Teena from the Piedmont....I also reside in the Piedmont, NC and close to your age! I went to Prague, Cesky Krumlov and Budapest in 2013. Loved them all.....top of that list would be Budapest...if you go, take a break from all the sites and go to the baths - marvelous! Have not done Poland, but hope to soon. Regardless, you can't lose!

Posted by
105 posts

Hello, Teena from the Piedmont....I also reside in the Piedmont, NC and close to your age! I went to Prague, Cesky Krumlov and Budapest in 2013. Loved them all.....top of that list would be Budapest...if you go, take a break from all the sites and go to the baths - marvelous! Have not done Poland, but hope to soon. Regardless, you can't lose!

Posted by
17965 posts

My perception is that few cities have the depth and variety museums that Vienna has, but you mentioned you had been to Austria and I assume that includes Vienna. I am not a big museum fan so I can only say it’s my perception.

Can’t comment on Poland either since I have never been to Poland. My wife purchases jewelry when the jewelry “calls” her. Poland hasn’t “called” me yet. I have been curious why such a wonderfully successful and deeply steeped in history country draws so few tourists? But, with an open mind and a desire to learn it is surprising how much you can draw out of any environment. I actually enjoy that more than Disneyland like locations where everything is in your face.

Okay, I am talking and not saying much. You want simple with a lot of history and some pretty decent architecture from three epochs in history along with what I presume are good museums then I suggest the old standby so-called Imperial city Tour (Prague, Vienna and Budapest). These there have been done together so many times that you put your luggage on the pavement and the luggage is naturally drawn to the next train station.

If repeating Vienna is a problem then there are a couple options to avoid Vienna and replacing it with an interesting village or town; possibly in the Wachau Valley. Of course this recommendation comes from my limited experience and there may be better ideas.

One thing I do recommend is to keep the a little flexibility in the trip. I can’t imagine anything worse than ending up for a week in a place 7 out of 10 people love only to discover you are one of the 3 that didn’t love it. Plan B’s are easy, making the torture of being someplace you don’t enjoy totally unnecessary.

Posted by
17965 posts

Another wonderful and easy option is Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome, Sorrento, Rome, Home. Again, a proven route. Or better yet, look at the Rick Steves tours and use one of them as a guide.

Posted by
8458 posts

Teena I haven't been everywhere else but I went to Poland last year, and I must say I thought it was great. I think it is not more visited partly because people think it will be gray and grim old communist-era architecture, and the people sad and scowling. Nothing further from the truth. As bright and clean and fashionable as anywhere else, with enough rough edges and quirkiness to make it interesting. Tons of museums, music and art , and, for James' wife, all the amber jewelry you ever care to see.

Posted by
792 posts

I have been curious why such a wonderfully successful and deeply steeped in history country draws so few tourists?*

James, I have often wondered the same thing. Poland has all of the history, scenery, culture, food, and religion that Western Europe has to offer with half the tourists and at a third of the price. But I understand being "called" to visit a country. If you even start getting an inkling, give it a try. You will not be disappointed!

Also Teena, what time of year are you planning your trip? Maybe that will help you make your decision. If you are going in the heat of summer, Poland and Czech Republic would be more tolerable weather wise.

Posted by
868 posts

I have been curious why such a wonderfully successful and deeply steeped in history country draws so few tourists?

Because the country doesn't offer that much. It suffered badly in WW2, and it suffered badly after WW2. First the Germans destroyed most of the Polish heritage, and after that the Poles destroyed most of the German heritage. That's why many people only visit Krakow and the surroundings, the only region that survived the last 70 years without major damages. Most other cities and regions have deep scars, which tourists usually don't like.

Posted by
4637 posts

I agree with Dick and Martin. While George is right that Poland suffered the most in WWII, some of his other statements are little inaccurate and biased toward Poland. For example: "And where is Poland today - in the top 10 GDP of European countries - a country mile ahead of any other former Iron Curtain country." I actually traveled to all of them and something did not seem right about this statement. So I did little bit research. None of the statistics I googled confirmed George's theory. Let's check at least one:
http://www.globalproperty.com/Europe/gdp-per-capita . Out of former Iron Curtain countries (Yugoslavia was communist but not Iron Curtain country therefore Slovenia and Croatia should not count). Then in thousands dollars first is Czech Republic with 21, second Slovakia with 18, third Estonia 17, fourth Hungary 15, fifth Poland 14 - so not exactly mile ahead. I haven't been to Estonia but otherwise I would have gotten it right just by observing, so nothing surprising.
Poland .... "they weren't cheering/welcoming their invaders or aiding and abetting their invaders." And others were?
And what about occupation of Czechoslovakia August 21st 1968. Poland Army was right there with the Soviet Union alongside East Germany, Hungary, Bulgaria. Out of Warsaw Pact countries only Romania had a spine and refused.
Otherwise I agree with George that Poland is a country certainly worth to visit. I was there several times and plan to visit this summer again. I am thinking about Mazurskie jezera (lakes) among others.

Posted by
4637 posts

Yes George, you are right about that conflict but I even did not mention that in the fall of 1938 Poland helped Hitler to dismember Czechoslovakia. That would be about that border dispute. Help with occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1968 was something different. For assessing country's well-being GDP per capita is much better indicator than just gross GDP.

Posted by
17965 posts

Keith, when it comes to Budapest and the damage I have heard all sorts of estimates ranging from one extreme to another. I've see a lot of the old photos and because of what i do in Budapest I have had the opportunity to be in quite a few of the buildings. I think the best estimate is that 80% of the buildings within the outer loop of Pest were in someway damaged and something less than 5% were damaged to the point of being beyond repair. Few, very few, that I have seen were "re-constructed". It's one of the things I like about Pest; its pretty "real". You see photos of most major German towns and cities after the war and compare that to what stands today and you I get a real definition of "re-constructed". Now the bridges and Buda are a different story. Buda looked better than Nuremburg after the war; but not so much better that you could brag about it..

If you want to see some fascinating legacies of the war, find a way to get into some of the basements. Beautiful brick arches interrupted with flat concrete infill where the bomb hole was patched is pretty common.

Posted by
17965 posts

Keith, it's still pretty amazing what did stand. Right in the center of what go pounded the hardest in Buda, in the 1960's was discovered the remains of two synagogues, one 14th century the other 15th century. Both should have been turned into dust in the shelling. In Pest there are still a very few remnants of WWII evident on the Building façades; while quite a few remnants of the revolution of '56 are still present. I love to point to the pock marks on the walls of certain buildings and ask: "see those holes that look like someone hit it with a machine gun? Any idea what did it?"............"Wrong! Correct answer; a machine gun". The history in Budapest is still very real and present and in your face. But that's beginning to fade as the rate of renovations increases. Of course there are many people who don't enjoy Budapest because it hasn't been fully restored yet like Vienna or Berlin. Cant please everyone.

And this is sort of interesting: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrsultan/sets/72157626149118210/show/

Posted by
316 posts

Thanks to all those who responded to my original question. It looks like I'm going to settle on Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary. James, I especially liked your suggestions for Italy. You have no way of knowing but I usual go to Italy every other year. Since I went the last two years, I thought I go somewhere different. I could be as happy as a clam in Florence for my entire vacation. I'm saving Sicily since I think it might be more efficient to drive and I don't want to try to drive and navigate. Again, thanks all

Posted by
14530 posts

Teena,

If you believe you've seen enough of Germany and Austria, and England, which I think is impossible, and are looking for a place unknown in your travel experience thus far, then I heartily suggest Poland, another vote for Poland. In 2001 I was very hesitant in going there for the first time, a monumental mistake as I quickly realised once crossing the border by train from Frankfurt an der Oder en route to Warsaw. I've made three trips there, all great, lovely, and memorable experiences. The last one was close to a decade ago, therefore the place must even be better now. Like you, I travel solo but did not on the three trips to Poland.

The historical comments made above are accurate, true Poland abetted in the dissolution of CZ in '38 by taking the district of Teschen, which is populated by Poles. True that Nazi policy was to destroy Polish culture, true that the Poles destroyed German culture in the expulsion after 1945 as Poland moved westward to the Oder. True, the western Allies left Poland in the lurch, or if you argue it differently, that they were double crossed by the West.

Posted by
1878 posts

Not sure how much time you have, but I would suggest considering Portugal. Lisbon is one of the three most underrated cities in Europe, the other two being Madrid and Budapest. It's not that easy to combine Spain and Portugal, the transportation connections are not that great, but Madrid is one of the top art cities in Europe. You could also do a Budapest-Sopron-Olomouc-Prague trip on public transit as we did in 2011. Really, it was one of our easier trips ever. Actually we also spliced in Telc and Cesky Krumlov, it was terrific.

Posted by
891 posts

You may have already decided but I wanted to tell you that on our recent trip through what we call Eastern Europe that Krakow, Poland was a hit. The people were the friendliest and the young people were in that group. They are interested in you and your country and they are proud of theirs. We were really impressed with their education and how interested they are in world affairs.
By the way, we were told that Krakow is pronounced there Crack-Oh and that Crack-ow was the Russian pronunciation that they don't like.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
1626 posts

Portugal is great. My husband I did a 8 night trip in 2005. We wished we had more time, but it was awesome. Food and wine were great! We started in Porto, rented a car and drove to the Douro River, did a little port tasting and tours, then to the south or Portugal along the coast and ended up in Lisbon. Haven't been back as other countries keep calling, but one day.....