Please sign in to post.

Where to go?

Two choices. Spain and Portugal or Krakow, Budapest, Lake Bled area and Croatia? Any input is greatly appreciated. My husband and I are going for our 5th anniversary. We will have roughly 3 weeks and will be going in May/June 2011.
Thanks

Posted by
811 posts

Hi Leslie,

I've been to all on your list except Portugal and am hoping maybe you could come back to put a little more of "you" into the post, as that would be helpful for us in responding to the question. What I mean by that is to give us an idea of what kind of experience you're looking for (museums, beach time, hiking, etc.) so we could try our best at making recommendations.

Otherwise, it's a complete toss up but I would personally go the Central European route. That's just me, though.

Posted by
12 posts

Angela,
We like a good mixture of museums and relaxing beach time. We have done all the major sites in Western Europe, Rome, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Vienna and Prague. Are Barcelona and Madrid similar?

Posted by
811 posts

Vis-a-vis Barcelona and Madrid, no, they aren't all that similar. Think LA vs. New York: both big cities, both different "attitudes."

If museums and beach time are of interest, then I'd actually suggest the Portugal/Spain route for you. There are some world-class mueums in Spain (again, not sure about Portugal), and, of course, all that surrounding water makes for miles and miles of beaches.

Central Europe is a whole different flavor with the cities/towns themselves being the main attraction, while museums tend to be smaller and less-known (but not necessarily less interesting). Of course, there are a number of significant sights (Auschwitz near Krakow, just to name one) and many historically riveting places, but you won't find anything like, say, the Prado in Madrid and the only beaches you'd find would be along the Croatian coastline.