Please sign in to post.

When to start my bookings

Hi -- If I am traveling to Europe in April 2018 - when should I begin reserving the lodging and tours

Posted by
380 posts

Start keeping an eye on flight prices now if you want, but there's no real point to it. I just pulled up flights from JFK to FRA as a ballpark and there are only 3 nonstops listed, meaning not all the schedules are available yet. And prices were not lower than you'd expect to pay anyway.

Start looking in earnest maybe 4 months out? Have a "fair" price in mind and strike when you find one at that rate. Book lodging when you have flights confirmed.

I never take group or package tours so I don't know. Certainly not until you have a way to get there and a place to stay!

Posted by
1443 posts

January or February should be sufficient to get your first pick of almost anything since April is shoulder season. There are exceptions, of course. Reserved times for ascending the Eiffel Tower seem to sell out almost immediately any time of year.

Posted by
7049 posts

I do it in this order:
1. Finalize travel itinerary;
2. Track airfare over several months to gauge what's a "good deal";
3. Purchase airfare, but be flexible if possible regarding exact dates, schedule/connections, airlines, and even airports;
4. Book things on the ground (lodging, tours, etc.) last.

You have plenty of time since you're traveling off-season (unless it coincides with a special festival like the Feria in Southern Spain, or the Easter holidays).

Posted by
2609 posts

I travel in April or May and typically book flights and hotels right around Oct, November at the latest. I am picky about both and prefer to get my top choices booked and done with, then I can do the fun research part.

Posted by
6113 posts

The first three weeks of April are school holidays in Europe. I would be looking to book accommodation and flights within Europe by September at the latest.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you EVERYONE - you have each given me very useful information. While I have my trip completely planned, I wanted an idea as to when I should start booking. All your responses have guided me. Thank you again.

Posted by
1918 posts

If you have your trip planned, and you already know where you want to stay, there is no reason not to book now. I booked a house in the Dordogne over a year ahead of time because I could see on their calendar they book up completely and I knew my dates. But, I usually wait to get my flights first.

I love to find quaint places to stay, so after I have my itinerary figured out and my airfare booked then I go ahead and book my accommodations, even 9 months or more ahead. No reason to wait! Go and grab those "best" places!