Please sign in to post.

When It’s Hot It’s Really HOT. F104 Forecast for Paris!

A heat dome over much of Europe is heating things up.
After London hit F90 degrees yesterday, today’s forecast is for Madrid to hit F102 degrees, Prague 93 degrees and Paris— are you ready for this—F104degrees!
Pack your swimsuit and ice cubes.

Posted by
6 posts

Yes, my wife and I are in Amboise now, where it's expected to hit 101F.

We were on the HOF tour when I tested positive for COVID. I'm now negative again but we'll remain here a couple of more days.

Even though we're not fluent in French, we may go see "Le Top Gun" at the local cine as a diversion and stay cool.

Posted by
3874 posts

We’re in Croatia now and it’s pretty hot here too. Hoping it cools off for a few days soon.

Posted by
6918 posts

Thankfully, this scorching spell was very brief in Paris. It basically lasted from Friday afternoon to 2 AM on Sunday, and in between, Saturday morning was OK. The most annoying aspect being that the days in June are very, very long (sunset 9.30 PM), so the city does not cool down until well after midnight...

Posted by
295 posts

We were there April 1 and it was 32F -maybe a "real feel" of 20 with wind chill (snow, rain, hail). Painfully cold! But I wouldn't trade it. People are so much crankier in hot weather!

Posted by
2945 posts

The best part is being packed like sardines at Versailles with no ventilation in July or August. You get to experience the wonderful diversity of odors and hygiene habits from various cultures. It's educational, the reason we travel. The thing is when the sweaty guy bumps into you, you get to smell him for the remainder of the day.

Posted by
3049 posts

Experienced a heat wave in Paris in 2011, as a result I basically don't stay anywhere in western Europe from June to mid-September that doesn't have AC after that experience. We were constantly taking cold showers in our sweltering hotel room and finally gave up and went outside but even at midnight it was well over 90 F.

I don't have AC at my home in Germany but when you live here, you develop strategies to beat the heat involving religious-like monitoring of cool night/morning air, then closing the windows at the metal blinds (rollaeden) the minute that it's hotter outside than inside. I set early morning alarms to accomplish this last weekend, but due to my houseguests and two broken blinds it was still close to 80 F inside last Sunday so I went out and sweated in a shady biergarten.

Luckily the current forecast is quite nice north of the alps, but in the event of another heatwave here are my tips:
-Folding fans are great when you're sitting outside in muggy, still air

-Loose, breathable clothing and forget the "men don't wear shorts in Europe" tripe - most do when the weather is very hot! Pack your khaki shorts, dudes!

-I have a pair of Archie's flip-flops that are comfortable enough for a full day of walking - really! They fit great and have awesome arch support. And you don't have to deal with soggy shoes if you get caught in an afternoon thunderstorm.

-If it's a weekday and not a school holiday, there's worse things to do than visit a pool, especially if you're somewhere with natural springs with pool facilities built around them like Stuttgart, the Black Forest, or Budapest. Maybe not your idea of seeing Europe, but if you want to "live like a temporary local" well, on hot days many of us hit the pool or mineralbad! Just beware of weekends/holidays during heat waves, as they will become overcrowded and may even stop admitting folks by 11-12:00.

-As previously mentioned, if it's too hot to sightsee, nothing wrong with an airconditioned movie or mall

Posted by
2054 posts

Sarah--We were in Paris the summer of 2011 and remember the heat wave. We were in an apartment and made the best use of it that we could. We went to London for a few days, and it was hot as could be there too. We commented on how sunburned we got there.

Posted by
3961 posts

Picture this: Lisbon, September 2016- F104 degrees. Fortunately, it "cooled down" for the next 2 weeks and was tolerable. When we looked at historical temps. it gave an average of F78.8.

Posted by
27190 posts

That's the thing about averages: Weird weather barely moves them unless it lasts for a long time. And there are lots of average highs and lows floating around (including in the Wikipedia listings for popular tourist destinations) that are based on time periods ending in 2010 or even 2000. Is there anyone who doesn't think weather has gotten more extreme in the last 12 (or 22) years?

Posted by
3961 posts

@acraven, I do think weather has changed over the years!

Posted by
1233 posts

Was over 40C at a Rome weather station yesterday,that's about 104f for those of us who use proper measurements.

Posted by
9422 posts

I’ve been in Paris many many times when it was 103-104F… 2003 was particularly memorable when 12,000+ Parisians died from the heat, it was the most miserable i’ve ever been. Part of the misery, besides physical, is wasted vacation days and paying for a hotel when you can’t do anything except sit at a café or sit in the Luxembourg Gardens (ok the LG part isn’t miserable, lol) because it’s too hot to move. I also got food poisoning from Café du Marché on rue Cler during the heat wave that trip, but i digress. We went to Rouen one day thinking it’d be cooler than Paris, it wasn’t, it was hotter and muggier. Ah, the memories…

Posted by
9422 posts

BigMike, even worse is smashed and packed into the Métro… You get to know strangers way too well, lol.

Posted by
6918 posts

Right now (almost 12PM), it's barely 60F with rain in Paris, so you really have to be ready for anything!

Posted by
2945 posts

Sarah: Good advice.

Susan: Public transportation is extra special on hot and humid days.

As I've gotten older I can't sleep unless it's cool, like 72F or below. 60s is even better.

Posted by
32828 posts

as balso said.I am northeast of Paris and it was 16 C this afternoon. That's 60.8F.

Posted by
2427 posts

@Sarah “I don't have AC at my home in Germany but when you live here, you develop strategies to beat the heat involving religious-like monitoring of cool night/morning air, then closing the windows at the metal blinds (rollaeden) the minute that it's hotter outside than inside.”

We live in the high desert and have ac but we do the same thing that you do. We open the windows at night to capture the cool desert air. When the air temp inside reaches equilibrium with the outside temp, windows and blinds are closed. We turn on a fan in the afternoon and only when the temp in the house reaches 80 degrees do we turn on the ac. The house stays well below 78 degrees for most of the day.

Posted by
9422 posts

I’d be beyond miserable living where i had to close blinds/curtains during the day. I need daylight, sunlight, fresh air.