Please sign in to post.

What will be your first RS tour in 2021?

Since our tour this year was cancelled, I am greatly looking forward to 2021 and to the announcement of this year's tour schedule. Wondering when RS Tours will announce them. Where and when will be the first tour you book? Go!

Posted by
8375 posts

I'm not sure there will be a 2021 tour for me. I love to travel, but I am going to have to feel like there are effective vaccines in place for most of the population before a bus tour seems like a good idea. Everyone will have their own comfort levels with this.

Posted by
3843 posts

I’m gonna think positive - Istanbul 7 day or Turkey 14 day. We also pushed our Katerina Line yacht cruise back to September 25, 2021 with a 10 day stop in Paris in the way home.

Posted by
263 posts

Best of the Adriatic - was supposed to go on this one in the spring, now hoping for sometime in 2021. Fingers crossed!

Posted by
8440 posts

mjgave, there was a recent similar thread: tours I was thinking two tours, but it looks like 2022 is more likely.

Posted by
264 posts

Just put five nights on hold in Ortesei in the Dolomites and Lauterbrunnen for the end of June
...flights-all on AA were $60 with freq flyer points and can cancel & return points at no charge...
only liable for $60 for the Hotels until three weeks before I leave...it was fun to plan again and now
hope for the best with a vaccine...at this time got great hotels & location and great flights.

Posted by
12 posts

It would kill me to think we would have to go another whole year until we can travel abroad again. For my Europe re-entry I am thinking Southern England Sep 2021. We had been looking forward to Turkey but I think first trip back I want something a little more in my comfort zone. Michael: Go check out RS guide Stephen McPhilemy's hotel in Lauterbrunnen. He just bought the Hotel Oberland this year, I believe.

Posted by
2074 posts

Were were to leave Friday for back to back tours of Portugal and Spain. Group travel with a reputable company is in my option, more than a year away if there is a vaccine.

Posted by
6502 posts

Mjgave, that South England tour looks very good, I've been to most of those places over the years. I would have signed up for the 14-day tour of Ireland this fall if life hadn't changed. Hoping I can do it in fall 2021 but maybe more realistic to hope for 2022. I'd like to see a city tour of Berlin for the future but RS hasn't done one.

Posted by
1078 posts

My way Spain or My way France, really looking forward to being on a tour again.

Posted by
3227 posts

Not sure RS will roll out his tours for next year. Maybe he will have some for next fall, but he has said several times that he will not be the first tour company out of the gate. I do think that some limited, individual, international travel will be possible for next year. We were signed up for RS Paris & HOF this year, and that will be the first one we take when he tours again.
Keeping fingers crossed for a vaccine. Hopefully, sooner rather than later!

Posted by
11156 posts

I have never taken a RS tour as we travel on our own but if I were I would choose Turkey. It looks like It gives a good view of the country.
We always use RS guide books.

Posted by
8440 posts

I'm wondering if it will be more feasible for a tour company to re-start tours with the "one city" tours - Rome, Paris, London. Maybe adding some more popular destination cities (5-days in: Florence, Munich, Prague, Berlin) from which travelers could add independent days beyond the cities. There's obviously a pent up demand, and this would seem to be a more logistically manageable offering.

Posted by
32747 posts

cecil's been a naughty boy/girl/man/woman/bot

spam has been reported as have the others by them

don't follow the link - it is dangerous

Posted by
2252 posts

It will be a "re-book" of the Adriatic tour my family and I planned to take last May. Hoping for about the same time next year!

Posted by
1034 posts

I have been thinking about the RS Sicily tour for a few years. Have never done a group tour, but I’ve been hanging around here for 10 or 11 years and I’m curious about Rick’s trips. I agree with others that I may not be ready to share a bus day in and day out though, so I may stick to independent travel a while longer.

I’m very interested to see what Rick comes up with After this, and I’d love to support him in whatever form it takes.

Posted by
8440 posts

Nelly, one of the many nice things about the Sicily tour is that the distance between stops is not that great, so the bus time is short. We are so glad we did this one (in 2019) and highly recommended as it is, by definition, off the beaten path for mainstream Americans. The best food and hotels of any of the 4 tours we've taken, as well.

Posted by
82 posts

We are ready for the new "Best of Scotland" tour in 2021 (or whenever its safer to travel again)! After that, the RS Tour of Eastern France is on the list.

Garrison

Posted by
287 posts

It’s difficult to decide. I’d like to do both the RS Scotland and Poland tours. I’m still working and do get a lot of vacation time. However I’m not sure if I can disappear for almost 4 weeks (though I hate to pay for two sets of RT flights in one year). Of course, this is all dependent upon there being a vaccine as I’m a little older so at higher risk. Nice to think about the possibilities though.

Posted by
1226 posts

Two main contenders for me: My Way Alpine with extensive individual touring before and after to include Venice, Innichen, and Colmar.

Scotland with individual touring before and after that takes in the Lakes, Yorkshire, and possibly Ireland because of the direct flights in and out of Philly.

Depends on the time of year and what is going on. I am heading towards retirement but have some big projects before then so I would be happy with shorter trips for Tyrolean Christmas markets or UK Bluebell time - not necessarily RS tours. Oh, and I have been reading about some possible stay-cations in Venice and Tuscany that I would happily fit in if possible.

Posted by
12 posts

Debbie: The My Way Alpine Trip is awesome. I know many people use that word but "awe" is a word I would definitely use to describe my reaction to the alpine regions of Europe I loved this trip and I think it might be a good one for a post pandemic as you are outside and hiking much of the time.

Posted by
1226 posts

@mjgave: Hi. I have actually done the My Way Alpine once already - the first year it was offered. The itinerary has been changed a bit, and I find it even more appealing. But it is testimony for sure of the fineness of this tour that it is number one on my list for first return to Europe. My only regret is that the Greek restaurant in Füssen seems to have closed. I had a fine evening meal there with a tour-mate.

A plug for My Way: this was my first and only My Way experience, so far. I have a few RS tours under my belt. While I diligently planned how to spend my time, I found I had overdone it. About half way through, I eased up on my plans and became more open to the flow, spending more enjoyable time with tour members. This was a very friendly group that seemed especially concerned with group cohesiveness and enjoyment - maybe because we felt it was on us!

Go My Way. Bring more, pls.

Posted by
1662 posts

Hey MJ,

Well, I won't be taking a tour anytime soon.

But I cannot wait to get back to Rome - to visit many of my favorite sites and churches as well as see some friends and visit my friend's new trattoria he opened up!

He sent me pictures of it and it seems to be doing quite well. 🍷🍝 ☕🍮

Posted by
1 posts

Now that I'm finally at a time in my life when I can travel and am ready to book a tour--the virus hits! Nevertheless, I'm putting my name on a list for the Heart of Italy in 9 Days Tour. If it is meant to be, it will happen.