Please sign in to post.

What festivals, anniversaries, special commemorations in 2020 are you looking forward to?

Hey RS Forum Contributors,

Just as we have recently gone through the 50th anniversary of the events of 1969, and various WWII and Da Vinci and Protestantism milestone markers, there have to be a bunch of special festivals coming up in 2020 -- what's on your radar?

I have an early example happening in October -- the Lumiere film festival in Lyon is happening the week of the 13th, and they're giving a lifetime achievement award to Francis Ford Coppola
https://en.lyon-france.com/What-s-on/Festivals/festival-lumiere-11-grand-lyon-film-festival

What events are you thinking about timing your travels to catch?

Posted by
3833 posts

Is carnivale in Venice and/or Rijeka, Croatia special enough. We have friends who have gone to Venice as sightseers during Carnivale a few times and are now participants. We retire next Spring and are hoping to hit both cities someday. We would also like to spend Christmas with family and friends in Germany and Croatia one year. I have so many trips planned in my head I don’t think we will live long enough to get to them all. I read about the Bram Stoker festival in Dublin, Easter in Spain or Italy.....if I start researching festivals my head will explode.

Posted by
7026 posts

Ha ha Monte. My 75th birthday and hoping to be able to take one more trip to Europe for it. Maybe it'll coincide with a festival somewhere too.

Posted by
13 posts

My 50th birthday. Planning my first trip to Austria to celebrate. It has been on my bucket list for about 30 years.

Posted by
11315 posts

Monte, Nancy, and FerFer, congrats and great answers! My thought on reading the subject line was along the same personal lines: 35th wedding anniversary to be celebrated in Maui in March.

We avoid festivals in Europe (or anywhere else) when we travel.

Posted by
6113 posts

Like Laurel, I try to avoid festivals. I went to Venice the week before Carnivale, when it was quiet and there were no queues.

Posted by
2252 posts

Easter in Greece 2020! We were fortunate enough to celebrate Easter Week in Sicily a few years ago and what an amazing experience that was!

Posted by
9562 posts

My 50th birthday! On the seventh day of the year.

Posted by
445 posts

Congrats to all!

Hoping to make it to Archstoyanie land art festival (knock on wood) and Edinburgh festival fringe (knock on wood *3).
Looks like no Burning Man for me in 2020 - yet again...

Posted by
2448 posts

I hope to make it to the Homo Faber exhibit in Venice, mid-September through mid-October.

Posted by
10215 posts

We will be celebrating our 35th anniversary next September with a 7-8 week trip, including a day at Oktoberfest just 2 days before our anniversary. We went in 2010 on our 25th anniversary trip. I don't drink beer. That's how much I want to make him happy. In 2010 it was just the two of us. Next year there will be a group of us at Oktoberfest. I think that will allow me to sneak away and look for the wine tent I have heard about. ;-)

Posted by
2454 posts

Early congrats to everyone celebrating an anniversary!
And thanks for sharing your ideas about events you are considering.

Blinking brightly on my radar:

2020 is the 200th anniversary of the Madrid Athenaeum,
https://www.ateneodemadrid.com/Agenda/Exposiciones
which early in its history had to de-camp for London for over a decade to avoid political intrigue in Spain,
but then ended up becoming the main location for the smoke-filled back rooms where the powerful
and connected in modern Spanish history rubbed elbows with the intellectual and artistic.

For the bicentennial there are big plans, described on the website as
"The syllabus includes artistic and bibliographic exhibitions, open-doors
days, scholarships, urban events, and literary and musical exhibitions aimed
at wide-ranging audiences"

Normally they have 45-minute guided tours of the building, including the portrait gallery, on weekday mornings, but those are suspended while they are working on getting ready for the big anniversary. Not clear when they will re-open to the public...

Posted by
1840 posts

For what its worth, we just celebrated our 50th with a three week journey to Ukraine, our fourth there.

Posted by
3833 posts

It’s worth a lot Monte, congratulations! We will hit our 40 June of 2021 and are looking to Japan.

Posted by
7026 posts

You can try this website but I don't know how all inclusive it is. You can search by country and your dates.

Posted by
704 posts

The Oberammergau Passion Play comes up again in 2020. We would genuinely love to witness that event but, unfortunately, I don't think it will happen. We'd enjoy reading trip reports from those of you that attend!