Please sign in to post.

Western Europe June 2011 itinerary help needed (first-timer!)

I'm seeking input on a rough itinerary for our first trip to Europe, June 13-July 4, 2011. Currently we've only got accommodations booked in Paris, and our flights, so the rest is very flexible. For the first 10 days, my husband and I will be traveling with my father, stepmother, and sister, and then they will fly home and my husband and I will continue on to Paris. Here's what I've got so far. Since this is our first time (my stepmother lived in Germany for 5 years, but the rest of us have not been to Europe), I want to make sure we see plenty of things but also don't want to be so rushed that we are miserable, so input on whether we need more stops/fewer stops would be great. June 13 - fly into Frankfurt, pick up rental car June 14 - stay in Frankfurt another night or drive south and stay somewhere between Frankfurt and Garmisch June 15-16 - Edelweiss Resort in Garmisch (not my first choice...but my father is stuck on staying here) June 17, 18, 19, 20 - Munich, maybe Switzerland, Austria? June 21 - Normandy, France (Father, stepmother and sister will depart back to Frankfurt on June 23, husband and I will leave for Paris on June 22) June 22-28 - Paris, renting an apartment in Le Marais June 29-July 3 - London via Eurostar
July 4 - Fly home Thanks in advance!

Posted by
463 posts

my only concern is that i don't see 'drop off rental car', but i'm assuming you are doing that before you arrive in paris. if not, that would be a concern. driving in paris would be...less than ideal. happy planning!

Posted by
9110 posts

I see two big holes. One has to do with the car. You're going to have to figure out a way to drop it in Germany or you'll pay a huge second-country drop-off fee. That's a no-brainer. The second has to do with Normandy. If you drop the car, say, in Frankfurt in the morning, it's going to take you the rest of the day to get to Caen or somewhere - - and you're going to probably change trains (and stations) in Paris. You aren't going to have any time in Normandy to see anything. I'd cut the German/Austrian/Switzerland part of the trip by a day or so (leaving time for only one place) and pressing on to Normandy earlier. I'd take the whole crowd back to Paris at once and stick them on the train to Germany from there. Put them up in a hotel and have a grand-finale dinner the last night everybody's together.

Posted by
591 posts

Need some more information before can give you much input. The car rental drop off location is important....are you planning to drive all the way to Normandy and turn it in there? Paris? How & from where are your relatives getting back to Frankfurt? Do you really want to see Frankfurt or can you take off toward the Alps on arrival day? Are you open to take the train for part of the trip (like from Frankfurt to Munich, then on to Garmisch)?

Posted by
3 posts

So sorry for not providing the full details on the car rental - The car will be dropped off when my family returns to Frankfurt from Normandy, unless it would be more desirable to leave the car in Germany before departing to Normandy and have them return to Frankfurt by train. We are definitely open to traveling by train instead of the car where it makes more sense and in fact, I think we'll definitely want to travel by train at least one since I understand there are some gorgeous scenic routes in Germany/Switzerland/Austria. My husband and I will definitely NOT be taking a vehicle to Paris or London. We arrive in Frankfurt early in the morning, so theoretically we could take off when we arrive vs. staying there a night or two, if our time would be better spent elsewhere.

Posted by
9110 posts

In light of the above, my previous comments have no merit.

Posted by
591 posts

Your dad must be ex-military since that's a requirement to stay at the Edelweiss. It's a nice place with good rates. It's good to have a car to tour SW Germany, so here's a suggestion: June 13 - rent car at FRA and drive to Heidelberg (1 night) June 14 - drive south to Freiburg, and then southeast through the Black Forest heading toward Meersburg on Lake Constance (great views of the Swiss Alps across the lake). Continue to Lindau, and then NE to the Füssen area (1 night). June 15 tour Neuschwanstein Castle in the AM, and then head to Garmisch (via Wies Kirche & Oberammergau) for the (2 nights) June 17 head north to the Romantik Road, stopping at Nordlingen & Dinkelsbühl to Rothenburg o.t. (best preserved medieval town in Germany - 2 nights)
June 18 in Rothenburg. June 19 to Frankfurt & return car - take train to Paris (switch from Gare de l'est to Gare St Lazare) & then train to Bayeux, Normandy (3 nights) You'll need 2 full days to see the top sights in the area. June 22 whole family takes train back to Paris & spends the night (Ed's farewell dinner suggestion is a good one). June 23 relatives continue to Frankfurt Lots of choices, but have to start somewhere.....

Posted by
3 posts

Tim, thank you so much for the helpful information! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Yes, my dad is ex-military...a retired Lt. Col. in the Air Force, and his wife is still serving in the National Guard. If we hang around Frankfurt at all (though it sounds like it would be best to just press on after we get the rental car), we'll be staying at Ramstein Air Base. Glad to hear your positive comments about Edelweiss -- I was a little skeptical about it. But I digress. Just wanted to say thanks for the thoughtful response.

Posted by
9110 posts

I wouldn't count on room at the inn at Ramstein. I've been trying it off and on since they got it finished a few years ago and never had any luck.

Posted by
1986 posts

I like Tim's general suggestions. Skip Frankfurt, and go on the first night to Heidelburg or Wurzburg as he suggested. I would spend one less day on Romantic Road and insert one day in Munich. I would do Switzerland instead of Normandy (unless D day beaches are a high priority). Switzerland the highlights would be Jungfrau and Luzerne