Please sign in to post.

Western Europe: Itinerary Help Needed!

Hello fellow travellers!

My girlfriend and I (both approaching 30) are travelling to Europe in mid-late September until the first week of October. We plan to visit for two weeks, and are open to adding an extra day or two. Below are a few itineraries we've thought of thus far, and would really appreciate your input on.

A few quick points:
1. Our flight to London is already booked, as we'll be staying with friends the first 4 nights.
2. The cheapest one-way trips back home for us are Paris, Dublin and Amsterdam.
3. Neither of us are particularly keen on Amsterdam, though we've never been before and might be missing something.
4. For Paris and Brussels, day trips to Versailles and Antwerp would apply to all itineraries.
5. For Dublin option, there is a direct flight between Bordeaux and Dublin that's cheaper than a train back to Paris.
6. We would love to hear recommendations for staying in France, outside of just going to Bordeaux. Is there a 4 or 5-day venture from Paris that makes sense without being too chaotic?

ITINERARY 1:
London - 4 nights
Brussels - 2 nights
Bruges/Ghent - 1 night
Paris - 3 nights
Bordeaux - 2 nights
Paris - 1 night before flying home

ITINERARY 2:
London - 4 nights
Brussels - 2 nights
Bruges/Ghent - 1 night
Paris - 3 nights
Bordeaux - 2 nights
Dublin - 3 nights (incl. day trip to Cliffs)

ITINERARY 3:
London - 4 nights
Edinburgh - 2 nights
Paris - 3 nights
Brussels - 2 nights
Bruges/Ghent - 1 night
Paris - Flying home after taking train back

ITINERARY 4:
London - 4 nights
Paris - 3 nights
Brussels - 2 nights
Bruges/Ghent - 1 night
Amsterdam - 3 nights before flying home

ITINERARY 5:
London - 4 nights
Brussels - 2 nights
Bruges/Ghent - 1 night
Paris - 3 nights
Geneva - 2 nights
Lyon - 2 nights
Fly home from Paris

ITINERARY 6:
London - 4 nights
Brussels - 2 nights
Bruges/Ghent - 1 night
Paris - 3 nights
Nice - 3 nights
Fly home from Paris

Thanks very much!

Posted by
7808 posts

this one
ITINERARY 4:
London - 4 nights
Paris - 3 nights
Brussels - 2 nights
Bruges/Ghent - 1 night
Amsterdam - 3 nights before flying home

And you will hear a lot of people say "why are you staying in Brussels."

Posted by
1580 posts

I agree Itinerary 4 makes the most sense and you have the option of seeing 4 countries in a 2 weeks span. Do you have your heart set on going to Bordeaux?

Posted by
6113 posts

Yes - why are you staying in Brussels? It’s the dullest city in Europe that I have been to so far.

I would take 3 nights in Amsterdam any day over 3 in Belgium, but it’s not my trip.

Two nights somewhere is only a day there. You are going to be spending too long in transit versus time at a destination for all your itineraries, particularly itineraries 5 and 6 which are complicated logistically.

Having been in Bordeaux last month - I was in the area for 4 nights and had a day trip here - although it was interesting, it isn’t worth travelling all the way from Paris to see. You are short changing Paris if you have less than 5 full days there. Ditto London.

I would opt for London 5 nights if you can stay a day longer - Edinburgh 3 nights - Paris 5 nights. Flying between the UK and France may make more sense, as the best prices for the Eurostar will have sold out several months ago.

Posted by
2467 posts

Itinerary 4...it contains the fewest changes in cities. Each change subtracts about half a day from your trip. It will be a lovely trip, enjoy!

Posted by
13 posts

I would do itinerary 4. We basically did that same itinerary last summer, except we did 5 days in Paris and skipped Bruges. We actually enjoyed Brussels, particularly for the beer and the chocolate, and 2 days there was sufficient.

Posted by
3049 posts

Can I just say, respectfully, I don't like any of these itineraries. So much jumping around and so much Belgium! And I'm the weirdo who enjoyed Brussels and can understand why people would want to visit, but not on a first time trip to Europe.

I don't know if this is your first trip to Europe or not, but here are places that I like just fine that I wouldn't include on a first trip to Europe:
Brussels
Bruges/Ghent
Nice
Lyon
Geneva
Dublin (Sorry not sorry, Ireland is amazing but Dublin is meh)

Now these are just my opinions. Here's places that I would visit on a first trip to Europe:
London
Paris
Amsterdam

Amsterdam is amazing! You just have to avoid the crappy touristy center. And it's day-trippable to so many wonderful places like Haarlem and Utrecht. As someone who again, likes Brussels more than anyone else I've ever met, I can't imagine skipping Amsterstam for Brussels. It makes me sad inside.

I think focusing on the 3 cities above with day trips from each (which are easy) would be an amazing trip.

Posted by
27062 posts

Always, always add all the time you can. As you continue to prepare for your trip, you will keep learning about places that sound interesting. You will regret not allowing the maximum time possible in Europe.

I would not choose any of those itineraries; way too much time in transit in order to spend way too little time at the destination--except possibly Brussels, where I haven't been.

I would definitely not go to Switzerland to spend 2 nights in Geneva. Wait till you have time to spend some time in the Alps.

I liked Bordeaux fine, but again I'd hold off until you can also spend time in the Dordogne/Lot. Bordeaux isn't the sort of place one travels across France to see.

I like southern France a lot, and Nice is an attractive large city with at least six art museums. However, it is again a long way to travel if you won't have time to enjoy some of the charming (though admittedly touristy) towns along the coast and up in the hills.

Edinburgh is a cool city, but to spend 4 hours each way to go to Scotland for 1.5 days in Edinburgh--just no.

The Netherlands is more than Amsterdam. There are many lovely Dutch towns that are less expensive than Amsterdam and not far from the airport. Check out Den Haag, Utrecht, Gouda, Haarlem and many more.

Four nights in London is actually quite short if it's your first trip.

For future reference, you might have saved money by buying a multi-city ticket into London and out of your final destinstion. Two one-way tickets are usually a lot more costly, though possibly not if you're on a budget carrier like Icelandair or Norwegian.

Posted by
15797 posts

Yep, itinerary 4 makes the most sense to me as well. I'd just move one of the nights in Brussels to Bruges/Gent. That itinerary has 13 nights but you have 14-15 for some others? If you can add a night or two I'd give at least one to Paris. Shoot, I'd give another to Bruges/Gent too but that's just me.

I would take 3 nights in Amsterdam any day over 3 in Belgium, but it’s
not my trip

LOL, Jennifer! We LOVED our week in Belgium (mostly Bruges, Gent and Antwerp) and weren't so hot on Amsterdam! We all travel differently and that's what makes the forums go 'round, eh? :O)

Posted by
7641 posts

All of your itineraries include too much travel for a two week trip. Itinerary 2 has way too much travel.

1) I would skip Brussels or cut it to one night. The only thing that I liked about Brussels was the Grand Plaza.
2) If you haven't been to London and/or Paris before, you will find that 3-4 days is not enough. You could do the entire 2 weeks in just those cities.
3) Lyon, Geneva and Nice, as well as other places in that area are wonderful. We did two weeks in that area a few years ago and it wasn't enough.
4) If you want to visit a great area of France that is near Paris, consider Normandy for a couple of days, also the Loire Valley.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Based on a few responses, we've trimmed the fat and will be doing London for 5 nights (day trip to Bath) and Paris for 4 nights (day trip to Versailles).

For the two nights in between there, where would you recommend we go:
1. Bruges/Ghent (skipping Brussels per the above feedback!)
2. Edinburgh (train from London - apparently it's a very scenic adventure, flying to Paris)
3. Another region of the UK or France - would love suggestions! Normandy? Bordeaux?

Thanks again!