Please sign in to post.

Were to start, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Czech Prague

Travel time next year early May. 8 to 12 days travel time. Air Travel from Stuttgart to first destination, then train. We do want to visit Austria but it does not have to be our starting point but is the priority distention.
We do not have to visit all the above countries on this trip, looking for recommendations for the best utilization of our travel time considering our mode of transportation.

Thank you in advance to all for your experienced advice. We have been able to make 3 trips to Europe in the past year and your advice has been very appreciated and most important useful.

Kind Regard.

Posted by
19963 posts

Do you live in Stuttgart now? Otherwise why not fly directly to one of the destinations. By Croatia, do you mean Dubrovnik and the Dalmatian Coast, or Zagreb area and Plitvice Lakes?

Posted by
21 posts

No we live in the USA. We have family in Stuttgart and will be spending 2 weeks plus with them when Grandkids are out of school in April. So Stuttgart will be the start point and final return point of this trip.
We have just started researching the other areas, Slovenia, Croatia and up North Prague. We know we won't be able to visit all but looking for best utilization of our travel time. Would you have some recommendations on were we might want to go?

Posted by
27041 posts

There's quite a difference between eight days and twelve. With eight days I might well spend all my time in Austria (given that it's a must for you). With twelve days, and assuming you don't have tons of different places you want to see in Austria, you could either see part of Czechia or part of Slovenia. Which I would choose would depend partly on my Austrian targets. If you'll mainly be in Vienna, that argues for Czechia. If your Austrian itinerary will include Graz, that makes Slovenia a practical option. If your Austrian interests lie in the west, I'm not sure which of the two countries would be easiest to reach. I'd be looking at the Deutsche Bahn website to see how I could avoid spending too much time in transit.

If I had just four or perhaps five days days available outside Austria, I'd be more comfortable with adding on Slovenia, because you could see Ljubljana and Bled in that amount of time. I bussed to Bled and to both caves (on different trips); you might be able to squeeze in one of the caves. Four or five days in Czechia is barely enough for Prague; it's a much larger country.

Edited to add: From Ljubljana back to Stuttgart is over eight hours by train. The trip from Prague would be a bit shorter but probably requires a bus/train combo. An all-Austria trip is looking more attractive to me.

Posted by
837 posts

With 8-12 days, I would prefer to focus on one country. I like to split my time between big cities and smaller towns/rural areas. When I start to research a new country, I find it helpful to read through posts here. Then I buy a couple of guidebooks and use them to make a wish list. And then I start to see how to link the wish list sites together.

Of the countries you mentioned, I’ve only been to Austria so I can’t give you any recommendations

Posted by
2303 posts

Two questions: 1) Do you have to return to Stuttgart for your flight back to the US or can you fly from elsewhere? 2) Do you want to spend 8 or 12 days traveling? Both of these impact your choices.

If you have 8 days and need to fly out of Stuttgart, I would go to Salzburg with day trips to Hallstatt and Berchtesgaden.