Please sign in to post.

Weather/Clothing Choices March/April 2009

Hello! Planning a trip to Europe for two months...March-April 2009.

From my research, I see that March is "off-season" and April is "shoulder-season" in most countries.

Will be visiting mainly Germany, Spain, France, Italy, and Greece.

Does anyone have any advice on what clothing to bring (for one man, one woman) or any other insight into how the crowds will be? Thanks!

-A.M.

Posted by
12172 posts

Layering is the key. During March and April you are likely to see some really nice days (especially farther South) and some cold, wet days. Go with light-weight clothing that can be layered to keep you warm rather than warm clothing (useless and heavy to carry when it's nice).

If you can, start South and work North. It's better to be in Greece in March and Germany in April.

Find waterproof walking shoes that can dress up or down. This time of year I add some darker-colored light-weight trail runners as backup shoes. Women probably want a very light-weight pair of dress up shoes.

Get a hooded but unlined rain/wind parka to stay dry. Layer lightweight sweaters and shirts underneath for warmth.

You will probably get more use out of pants this time of year than shorts, skirts or capris.

The crowds should be relatively light so you don't need reservations for everything. The cost for lodging and airfare will also be cheaper than high season.

Posted by
1455 posts

I was in Barcelona and Madrid 2 years ago in March, and Germany/Munich, and Milan in the end of April. The city was practically EMPTY (tourist wise). In fact most of the scams we were so paranoid about were never seen... probably because the theives were on their on holiday? LOL

I remember it being very cool in Barcelona (on top its near the water), and in Madrid it rained 2 of the 4 days we were there,but it was humid.

Munich was unusually cold, but Milan was wonderful! I would say in the 70's. Light jacket weather.

I think Layering is key... and if you stay dry, you will feel warmer too. I would keep checking the weather forcast and pack at the last minute.

I would also use Rick's packing list. You can't go wrong with that

Posted by
440 posts

Amber, it was chilly and windy for the first two weeks of April for me when in Puglia and on Lipari. I was glad of an extremely warm sweater (NZ merino mink) and my microfibre mid-thigh length jacket for the wind. I really noticed how MANY more people were in Rome in early May, compared to the first weekend of April. Southern Italy was uncluttered with people.

Posted by
120 posts

Agree with the others that layering is key. Here's an example of what I would bring for layers: 1) a lightweight silk or synethic camisole or tank top (that can be worn on its own in really hot weather, or as nightwear, or to wear under a button-down shirt or cardigan for dinners out; 2) silk or synthetic lightweight long john bottoms (can also double as pj bottoms); 3) a long-sleeve fitted pullover top that can be layered under or over a button-down shirt or worn on its own; 4) a button-down shirt; 5) a fleece or cashmere cardigan; 6) pants; 7) knee-length trench coat or Gore-Tex parka.

I also bring a cashmere shawl that can be used as a scarf (and as a blanket on the plane or shawl for evenings out) and thin Isotoner gloves (my hands get cold easily). Good socks are important - I like Smartwool.

Posted by
166 posts

We happened to be in Italy the last week in March until the 24th of April of this year and the weather was very nice. We traveled from north to south with many stops along the way and layering is the way to go. Only rained out 1 day out of 30.

Greg