Please sign in to post.

Weather

18 Days in October - Traveling to Paris, Venice, Florence & Rome. What has your experience been with the weather? Thank you.

Posted by
3954 posts

We have been on this route 3 times in recent years with our students. We have gone from air conditioning in hotels one day to heaters being turned on the next. The weather will be changing but probably mild and very nice still for outdoor things. We have never encountered much rain during the month of October in Italy but maybe we've just been very lucky. You can easily get a somewhat reliable 10 day weather forecast right before you leave at www.weather.com or a similar website and be better prepared for conditions for your cities. Have a great trip.

Posted by
813 posts

Italy will be decent, depends on the rain. Paris-could have snow, could be a mild fall, you just never know.

Posted by
12040 posts

October is statistically the driest month north of the Alps, but for Paris, you should still prepare for at least some rain. I would expect anything from daytime highs in the low 70s to high 40s. Couldn't comment on Italy...

Posted by
8293 posts

Kathy says snow in October "could happen". When in living memory did Paris have snow in October? Geez, even in Montreal we don't have snow until late November at the earliest.

Posted by
358 posts

I travel to Paris every year in may and oct. Oct weather in Paris is nice as the daytime temps usually in the 60's and nights in the 40's. Rain in oct is usually not much of a problem as scattered showers are the norm.
In Italy this past oct the weather was very nice with the temps in the mid-high 60's. To me may and oct are the best months to be in France/Italy.

Posted by
12172 posts

We traveled Venice, Florence & Rome during the second half of October/early November (working North to South). We had light rain one night in Venice, but not nearly enough to stay indoors (I think we did pop open a travel umbrella for an hour). We also had aqua alta one morning, but really just looked similar to puddles from an overnight rain and only in San Marco - easy to work around. Florence was fine, warm days and cool nights but not extreme in either direction. Rome was similar, actually almost too warm on many days. I could see how it could be miserable in the summer. We had very light rain one night, not enough to use an umbrella. There is a possibility for heavier rain, however. We visited CT during the same time frame. Although we had great weather, part of the trail had washed out due to heavy rains a week earlier.

Posted by
2876 posts

When you travel in the fall, just pack so that you can layer if it gets chilly and so that you'll have some rain protection if you need it. Don't worry about predicting the weather, which no one can do anyway.

Posted by
361 posts

We travel to Europe only at this time of year of year, if it is the first part of October the weather should be MAHVELOUS DAHLING! High 60's to mid - 70's, few tourists, lower prices, less crowds. If mid to end then cooler temperatures still in the 60's but still WAY nice and maybe a shower or two. You will love it!