Please sign in to post.

weather

we are planning on going to london, rome in december, were advised not to because of severe cold weather. would like some feedback, went to paris in february 2009, weather was quite nice.

Posted by
1825 posts

I advise you TO go, regardless of what your negative friends and family think they know.

Posted by
355 posts

Some one from Miami would consider said weather of those places as "severe cold." Some one from Long Island would be more inclined to describe it as "a bit nippy but still milder than home."

Posted by
1068 posts

I, too, would advise you to go! Even if the weather is very cold, you won't be camping out, will you? I mean, I assume you will be staying indoors, in a heated building, and going to shops and restaurants and museums.... so - I wonder why the scary advice? Bring a nice warm coat and gloves. And don't worry. It'll be fine. Here's a link to the weather planner from the FAQs on this site: http://www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp

Posted by
12040 posts

Severe cold? Unlikely, especially compared to Long Island. Short hours of daylight? Yes indeed.

Posted by
11322 posts

We're spending the entire month of December in Italy, Venice, Spello, Sorrento and Rome. I expect it to be no worse than Portland (which I love) and probably nicer much of the time. I hate hot weather, and as a former Minnesotan I know Italy can't hand me the nasty weather we got there in December. Also fewer crowds (except Christmas in Rome), some lower prices. What's not to love? Go and enjoy! If you get to see snow in Rome it will be magical and over in hours.

Posted by
5678 posts

Millie, think about what you want to do in London and Rome. If you want to visit museums, go to some plays and experience English culture then it would be a great time to go to London. You could explore Christmas customs. I would think that you would find similar things in Rome. These are both big cosmopolitan cities that there will be plenty to do and enjoy. December is a big tourist time for New York City and you don't find the weather stopping the Europeans from coming here! Now, if you want to eat in out door cafes, you might want to rethink the time of your visit. ; ) Pam

Posted by
1556 posts

Please do some research and then make your own decision. When we went to Italy about 5 years ago (after Christmas) - it was bitterly cold. So much that it was not fun to be outside (20's, 30's). It snowed heavily when we were in Florence. The key point from the data above is that extremes do occur from time to time. Think of the blizzards in N Europe the last 2 winters and the disruptions they caused. If you are ok with the risk (probably small) of really cold weather and possibly disruptive weather, and willing to chance it, then go.

Posted by
109 posts

London might be a bit nippy, just pack your warm winter gear including gloves, scarves and hats and you'll do fine. Rome usually is a bit chilly but okay at that time of year. As someone else pointed out, there are always extremes, but that's part of the adventure. It gives a good story to tell. Plus Europe at Christmas time is just amazing and well worth the occasional chilly day.

Posted by
8672 posts

Been to both cities in December. London 4 times. Each trip different. Light snow with bone chilling cold once, sunshine and clear skies once and cold with drizzle twice. The one time in Rome weather was warmer than I expected. You just never know what to expect. However, that's part of the travel adventure. I travel with one carryon and in December it includes thermal wear, Gortex jacket, light fleece, gloves and hat. GO! ENJOY! Two of the greatest cities on the planet!

Posted by
12172 posts

London in December is better than no London at all. Yes the days are short and dreary, but the major sites are still there. IMO Rome in December is better than Rome in July.