Please sign in to post.

walking shoes

I need advice on choosing walking shoes for our trip to Europe this summer. We are older now, and can no longer just wear what looks good.

Thanks,

Betty

Posted by
3580 posts

I'm older, too, and have worn Keen oxford-type shoes the last few trips. Before that, it was Merrells. You will do best to spend a few months getting used to your new shoes. Mine weren't adequetely broken-in until I had worn them a lot at home. Both brands have a lot of styles, so you can find what you consider looks best. Mine are black and go with everything, even tho they are fairly "clunky." You could look at www.zappos.com or REI for these brands. If you want something better-looking for dressier situations, buy some comfortable sandals. Your feet may need a daily break, anyway. I have Mephisto sandals which have an arch support; I can walk quite a lot in them.

Posted by
1449 posts

I have a pair of Rockports with a Vibram (boot-type) sole and great cushioning. They are very comfortable and are waterproof.

Posted by
852 posts

.... http://sasshoes.com/

Hi Betty,
Good news! You can wear shoes that both look good and are wonderful for walking ... with no break-in period. The above web site is that of San Antonio Shoes. At that web site you will find a "contact" to click on. They don't do business online, so you will need to obtain a catalog or talk with a representative (we recommend talking... at least first). I own four pair of SAS shoes ... and I don't know how many my wife owns. All of them are wonderful for walking and good-looking, too.
We hope you get fitted with shoes you like. Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR !
and all the best,
...P.

Posted by
1178 posts

Crocs!! Yes, they are good for waling with the rubber bottoms...

And, Clark's Wallabees!!

I used both in France and Spain this past fall, even on the cobblestones!!!

Posted by
5678 posts

Finn Comfort shoes...they have sandals that provide support and stay on your feet and look good, or a show that is enclosed. They kept my feet very happy and didn't need to be broken in.

Pam

Posted by
360 posts

Do check out SAS. I bring 2 pairs of the same style & I swear by them. They have a very cushy sole which along with a good fitting footbed is very important to me. The style I have goes with both skirts & pants. I'm in my 60s & have miserable feet.

Posted by
166 posts

Take a look at Ecco's, they work very well for both my wife and I. We started wearing Ecco walking shoes back in 2000 and have used them every trip since. They never have to be broken in, there comfortable right out of the box.

Greg

Posted by
32171 posts

Betty, I've been using Rockports with custom inserts for the past few year, and so far they've been working well (I'm older too!).

You might check Rick's Graffiti Wall - www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/graffiti92.html - for MANY ideas from other travellers on the subject of shoes for travel.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
2030 posts

I personally think any athletic type shoe that is comfortable for you is acceptable, as long as it is not white! Get a black pair, wear with dark slacks and you will look fine.

Posted by
12172 posts

When it comes to shoes their are two mistakes to avoid.

The first mistake is buying a pair of shoes especially for the trip and taking them out of the box as you dress to go to the airport. You want shoes that you KNOW will be comfortable during long hours of walking/hiking. It's better to bring the shoes in your closet you would wear for a long day of Christmas shopping than to take a chance on a new pair you haven't worn.

The second mistake is forgetting to bring a versatile pair of shoes. Will you be on solid roads, cobblestones and/or primitive trails? Is there a chance of getting wet or muddy? Will it be extremely hot or cold? Don't pack shoes that look good in town but forget that half your trip will be hiking on trails (or the other way around).

I usually wear one pair of all around walking/hiking shoes that I can also wear to dinner, then pack the smallest lightest pair of back ups (for me it's waterproof sandals).

Posted by
160 posts

I bought a pair of Mephisto All-Rounders in Paris at the Rue Cler store, and they are the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever owned - and I've worn Eccos, Merrells, and various other brands.

My feet are wide and flat - no arch. Plus, I've broken bones in both of them. So I need a comfortable shoe. When I bought the Mephistos, I had just completed the Camino pilgrimage in Spain - a 500-mile walk. After wearing boots for 40 days, my feet needed a break, and the Mephistos were just the ticket for walking around Paris.

As another poster said, it's a good idea to buy your shoes while at home and break them in & test them before going on vacation. Better to go that route than arrive in Europe with bad shoes - like I did at the beginning of my trek, when I found out the boots I'd brought weren't up to par and I had to buy a new pair in Spain. But at least I got lucky with the Mephistos.