Please sign in to post.

VRBO????

I'm just nervous ... But have booked and confirmed 3 VRBO's for our next big trip. They tell me they will give me addresses about 1 month out.

I have never used AirBB. We've only used local hotels or major hotels.
I have only been using Uber for a year.. (Be advised in Munich Uber is not always the best or the least expensive)

Any feedback on VRBO... I'm all ears.
T.

Posted by
546 posts

AirBnb gives you exact addresses and directions and direct access to the owner via email upon payment. The payment is held by AirBnb until 48 hours after you have checked in to give you the chance to question any aspect of the place rented.

AirBnb is the largest and most trusted of these sites.

I have heard good things about VRBO but have never used them. Finding out that they wont send you the actual address right away makes me question if I would ever use them.

Uber is not necessarily the cheapest anywhere.

But all things being equal your VRBO trip will probably work out ok.

Posted by
61 posts

I have used VRBO’s in Canada and several countries in Europe. I have used Air BnB in Australia and several countries in Europe. I have never had any problems. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
1321 posts

We use VRBO quite often. It is pretty standard that you receive the check in directions and location 30 days out. I can think of one time where we were already on the road "30 days before" that specific VRBO reservation - so I asked the owner to please send the check-in/address before the 30 days so I could print it all out since I wasn't sure I'd have reliable access to Wi-Fi and they were fine with my request.

Posted by
2186 posts

We've used VRBO for at least ten years, in both North America and Europe, and and have never had a problem. Some owners pinpoint their location on the map on the website (which I appreciate). In the ones with only a circle for the location, I assume it's in the center of the circle. But I have found, like Donna that, if I ask, they are usually happy to provide the address and their phone number.

Posted by
570 posts

I’ve used VRBO in the US for years with no bad experiences. Last year I used VRBO/HomeAway in France to book two stays, both worked out exactly as anticipated. Read the reviews carefully, I wouldn’t select a place with few or no reviews.

Posted by
2788 posts

I tried to book a place via VRBO in Hawaii but was told I had to pay for my stay before I saw the place or got the address. I went elsewhere for my lodging. In all fairness, I do not remember what VRBO's cancellation policy was to know if I did not like what was presented if I could have cancelled and gotten a refund.

Posted by
9422 posts

To me, VRBO is no different than the want ads in a paper. It’s just a place for people to list their apt/house for rent. It’s not an agency that goes and looks at each place and can vouch for them.

We rented an apt in Paris last year (not on VRBO then) that was so bad we did not stay. We left and went to a hotel. I see now this same apt is listed on VRBO.
It has only one review (saying it’s great) which I don’t believe is real.

I’m sure most people have no problems, but there’s no one over-seeing these listings to make sure they’re what they say they are.

Does VRBO have a system to guarantee the reviews are real? Like Booking.com does. Or would it be easy for family and friends to write a good review?

We’ve used AirBnB many times. I have more faith in their oversight, their system, and I believe their reviews are real.

Posted by
10238 posts

These places are not owned by VRBO. The individual owners determine their cancellation policy. I have used VRBO/Homeaway and Airbnb throughout the U.S. and Europe. I have only had one bad experience, which happened to be in Paris. The reviews were good, but the apartment in reality was not. On the other hand, the first apartment I ever rented in Paris didn't have any reviews, as it was a new listing. I did call the owner as I recognized the phone number as being a San Francisco area code. She answered all my questions via phone and email, and I actually met her before my trip. The apartment was fantastic. I think there is a level of protection with Airbnb because the owner doesn't receive any money until after your arrival. That said, I've only used Airbnb a few times. Most of my rental experience is with VRBO/Homeaway.

Posted by
9422 posts

Andrea, was the bad apt through VRBO?

Edit: Andrea and I are friends and the bad Paris apt was VRBO.

Posted by
2527 posts

From this isolated place in America, but with hundreds of VRBO (and similar firms) listings, please temper enthusiasm of booking these accommodations. At least here, the majority do not meet zoning and tax laws, and significantly degrade neighborhoods with tourists displacing families (breadwinners and children attending schools) and increase rents beyond the capacity of families with modest incomes.

Posted by
6113 posts

Holiday lettings in many places push up rents for local people.

I have had better letting experience with VRBO than Airbnb. I have always had precise details of a property's location before I book. Trip Advisor rentals are also better than Airbnb IMO, as they give better location information.

Posted by
1321 posts

From this isolated place in America, but with hundreds of VRBO (and similar firms) listings, please temper enthusiasm of booking these accommodations. At least here, the majority do not meet zoning and tax laws, and significantly degrade neighborhoods with tourists displacing families (breadwinners and children attending schools) and increase rents beyond the capacity of families with modest incomes.

This is becoming more and more a reality in "vacation" heavy areas. Look at the recent demonstrations in Barcelona where the local folks have said enough is enough. Sadly, VRBO does not review the listing for local law compliance BUT that said I know that the TripAdvisor Hawaii Forum moderators (or Destination Experts) are very keen on pointing our areas where a rental might not be a legal rentals. I know for me I pay attention to their advice.

Posted by
489 posts

Thanks all who responded.

We are traveling over 30 days in 13 properties. Only 3 are VRBO's. One reason was I could not find reasonable hotel or other rooms in those areas at that time. And I wanted to try this form of holiday, with a kitchen and perhaps a washing machine.
I understand the unfortunate pricing and affordability of local renting. I will be very observant to the areas we are letting in to see if this is a huge problem.

Posted by
5697 posts

We have used VRBO/HomeAway in France and Austria with good results (always places with many good reviews) and have two others on tap for May. Used AirB&B twice in the U.S., one excellent and one ... marginal. Booking.com also has apartments listed.
Didn't get the exact address on at least one VRBO property until late in the process, but it was excellent. Agree it's a little nervous-making. Or, putting a more positive spin on it, "it's an adventure!!"

Posted by
481 posts

We have used VRBO for a number of years, but the company has changed quite a bit I understand in the last year or so. I believe Expedia bought them and there have been a few changes to booking fees etc. However, I have still found that you can connect directly with the owner, either by phone or email, so would think you could ask for the address as you have booked.

There is also a map section on each listing, that should show you pretty exactly where you are staying.

I would want to know where I was staying ahead of time. Partly to make sure it is the location I want, but also because I think it is important to have good communication with the owner, so you can feel confident that you are getting what you booked.

Posted by
3961 posts

We've used VRBO in Maui for the past 15 years. We book the same condo and have never had any problems.

Posted by
2916 posts

We have used VRBO for a number of years, but the company has changed quite a bit I understand in the last year or so.

I wonder if those changes include notification of the address. We rented through VRBO in the Dordgone 2 years ago, and got the address and contact info at the time of rental, which was several months before arrival. In fact, I think that all contact after the initial one was directly through the owner.

Posted by
1557 posts

You must have been in contact with the property owners, they can provide you with an address. I've used VRBO several times, mainly in North America, with no problem: in recent years VRBO has added a service charge on top of the fee they have always charged the homeowners. In Europe, a seach of websites of local tourist regions or individual towns are your best bet. Holiday rentals have been the norm for eons in many areas of Europe.

I have used Airbnb in the States but it is now requesting a copy of my passport, which I am unwilling to give.

Posted by
133 posts

"They tell me they will give me addresses about 1 month out."

I have never had trouble getting the address before booking. We have used VRBO around 10 or 12 times; 4 in Europe. There is an "ask a question from the owner" button on the VRBO listings. That msg is through VRBO server but usually the response is direct from the owner or property manager. You can then go back and forth as much as you want. I always get the address and use google street view to check it and the neighborhood out. If you don't get a reasonable response that tells you something about the owner/property. It is apparently "policy" to give final directions and check in info one month out. Most owners are pretty flexible.

Additional thoughts:
1. VRBO and Homeaway are effectively the same entity now. Listings are the same.
2. Properties are very often listed on VRBO/Homeaway and Airbnb as well as on local websites. Key word searching will often find these other listings and sometimes yield more information, different reviews or photos although VRBO tends to have the most complete and useful information.
3. Just as with hotels and B&B listings - take all claims with a grain of salt. Read reviews and view photos carefully with attention to what is NOT said or shown. As said above, use google maps/street view to verify location. We usually shy away from properties with no reviews unless it is clearly a new listing.
4. Pay careful attention to the owner's responses to your questions. Private owners are, in my experience, more apt to be helpful and accommodating. We have had some wonderful advice and assistance on a number of occasions. Property management businesses tend to be more mechanical in response.
5. Keep loose and adapt to what you find. You are entering a foreign culture - there will be unusual appliances, heat and A/C controls and odd kitchen utensils. It's all part of the experience. Watch out for ovens in centigrade :)

Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
5 posts

We have used VRBO in Oregon, Hawaii, Idaho, Texas, France, UK, and Italy. Also used Air B&B. They are on the level, Air B&B is slightly sketchy, rely on multiple reviews. We had to cancel two trips recently & Agoda was the best, went the extra mile to refund & accommodate. Don’t pay in advance unless you HAVE to. Air B&B really screws you over with fees esp. with cancellation. Agoda & Hotels.com carry much of the same inventory with fewer fees & penalties.