Please sign in to post.

Visas

My daughter is traveling to Europe for spring break. She is flying into Rome and wanted to fly home from Madrid. When she changed her reservation on Travelocity they told her she would need a Visa from Spain since she was arriving and departing from 2 different countries. Is this true?

Posted by
1986 posts

We were questioned briefly crossing from Alsace to Germany "US Citizen" was the magic answer

Posted by
12172 posts

Doesn't sound right. Unless I'm mistaken Spain and Italy are both Schengen countries. U.S. Passport holders can visit the Schengen zone for up to 90 days (within any six month window) without a visa. I've never heard of issues regarding traveling freely within the Schengen zone and flying in and out of different cities/countries. It doesn't sound like she is staying over 90 days (if so, I want that Spring Break). It's possible it was misinterpreted by your daughter (maybe they asked for a passport or the Visa card the ticket was purchased with - really just wild guesses). It's also possible your daughter is considering an intermediate country that does require a visa.

Posted by
23314 posts

The assumption is that she IS traveling on a US passport.

Posted by
4535 posts

If she is an American citizen traveling in Italy and Spain for less than 90 days, she needs no visa. It doesn't matter where she flies into and out of.

Posted by
32219 posts

Michael, As Frank mentioned, I assume your daughter is travelling on a U.S. Passport? If that's the case, I doubt she would need a Visa and don't understand why a supposedly reputable travel firm would say that? I often use different airports in the E.U. (Schengen zone), and have never once had any issues with that. When she enters the E.U., her Passport will be stamped, and again when she leaves the E.U. Cheers!

Posted by
284 posts

Michael, Is she traveling by means other than air between Rome and Madrid? If so, then it depends on whether her stay is continuous within the Schengen (sp?) countries and whether she happens to run into a border patrol somewhere in route. If she is flying from Rome to Madrid, she may well have to go through passport control (immigrations) to enter Spain to continue her journey. If her first point of entry into the Schengen (sp?) countries is France make sure they stamp her passport with an entry stamp as the French sometimes just check the passports without putting an entry stamp in them. This also depends on which country issued the passport she is traveling on. Also, she should use the same passport to enter and exit the Schengen (sp?) countries if she has a valid passport from two or more countries. Edwin