Please sign in to post.

Visa

Hello,

I am traveling from Switzerland to Los Angeles and I have a layover in London Heathrow.

My flight arrives in terminal 5 and departs again from termine 5.

I am from Kosovo but I live in Switzerland and have a permit residency here. I also have a visa from the USA valid until 2029.

On the gouvernement website it tells me that I need a visa if I am passing through passport control and border controls (costums) but if I don’t need to pass those again on my arrival, I don’t need one because I have exemptions (arriving by air and departing by air the same day and not leaving the airport, à residency permit from Switzerland and a valid visa for the USA). But if in the terminal I need to pass through border control and passport control, I will need to ask for a visa.

So does someone know if in terminal 5 there is a border control and a passport control (not the passport check that the airline does before boarding) ?

Thanks

Posted by
32812 posts

Is the journey on one ticket Switzerland - Los Angeles, or on two unlinked tickets, Switzerland - Heathrow and then Heathrow - Los Angeles?

Do you have carry on only, or do you have checked (hold) luggage?

Posted by
2 posts

Hello,

I booked my flight ticket in one (Switzerland to Los Angeles) but it has a layover in London.

And I have a checked baggage and a carry one but it’s not self transfer. The company does the transfer itself since it’s not two separate tickets

Posted by
2512 posts

you stay airside and do not cross the UK border so you will be OK with that as you have a US visa