Please sign in to post.

“Virtual European Travel Festival - January 9–30, 2023!”

Have you seen this?
Rick Steves Tours: Festival of Europe

It starts on January 9 but you’ll need to register!

Imagine: For 22 nights in a row we'll take a virtual trip across Europe. It's free and it's fun — a celebration of Europe designed to help turn your 2023 travel dreams into smooth and affordable reality, whether on a Rick Steves bus tour or on your own. Each evening will get you up to date on a different country as Rick and his favorite European guides take you on an information-packed, one-hour tour.

I don’t know how I missed it but it sure sounds like fun!

Enjoy!

Posted by
7034 posts

And luckily the programs will be recorded and available on the website (at some time). The time they are presented (6:00pm PT) does not work well for me so I will be watching them later.

Thanks for the heads up Priscilla.

Posted by
3847 posts

I’m already registered! Thanks for the reminder to register for more.

Posted by
1322 posts

Yep, registered for the Portugal, Sicily and Finale Zoom programs.

Posted by
11 posts

I’m trying to figure out a way my family can watch this together on our fire tv. Did I hear them mention that it’s available on YouTube live? I can’t find any information on this.

Posted by
2678 posts

If you can’t watch the episodes live, the recordings will be posted on the rick steves website (approximately 48 hours after each episode).

https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/festival-of-europe

They usually also post on the rick steves you tube channel. Again, it might be a few days later.

https://www.youtube.com/@RickStevesTravelTalks

You can also sign up for email alerts to stay informed. I received an email on Dec. 20th detailing this virtual festival with info. on how to register.

https://www.ricksteves.com/publications/manage-email-subscriptions

Posted by
1228 posts

I registered when I first learned of this in December and logged in about 15 minutes early as the notification email suggested not all registrants would be admitted. Sadly, even with my early login, I was not admitted due to the room being over-filled. I also would be happy watching later at the time of my choice. However, trips are being given away throughout this event, and I hope this applies to registrants even if they are not "admitted" due to overcrowding.

Perhaps the overcrowding was due to the kick-off night and perhaps the country/region-specific broadcasts will not be quite so full. I am registered for a few, so fingers crossed.

Posted by
1369 posts

I am registered as well. Tried logging in 5 minutes before the event and got a message that 5,000 people were already logged in and could not connect. Tried for 10 minutes and gave up. Will start 30 minutes out tonight.

Posted by
7034 posts

I know someone said they logged in 15 mins early and still didn't get a place. Does anybody know how early you can log into it?

Posted by
2678 posts

The first episode is now available on you tube-- Grand Opening of Rick Steves Tours' Festival of Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypb7dOMqgms&t=209s

They mentioned at the beginning that if you are trying to attend the live events and the event is full, you will be redirected to watch the live event on you tube. So, it sounds like you can still watch them live if you like.

Posted by
5214 posts

Carrie,

Thanks for the helpful additional information!

Wow, 5000 viewers!
I don’t know but I suppose Zoom is not able to provide access to so many.

Rick Steves may have to switch to a different platform?

I will try to sign in early but who knows what will happen.

Good luck everyone!

Posted by
7034 posts

I just noticed that the one I registered for (tomorrow night) about England has a guest host. So, maybe if Rick isn't on it there won't be so many people logging in. We'll see.

Posted by
1551 posts

Well pooey. The tour giveaway is only open to US residents.

Posted by
1369 posts

Logged in 30 minutes prior and just let the "wheel" spin until I was accepted for the 6pm viewing. They did mention last night that they added YouTube Live due to the amount of folks that did not get in on Monday. Hopefully I get in again tonight, fingers, toes & eyes crossed.

Posted by
1228 posts

I was able to get in to the VFR broadcast last evening. I clicked to join 15 mins ahead of time and was let in around 9. They started about 10 after. They mentioned something about YouTube live for the overflow but I did not see any directions. When I looked closely, it appeared they had over 4600 folks at one point. Rick and Anna P spoke for about 45-60 minutes and then opened the floor for questions. I logged out at that point.

I am registered for England tonight, but I am glad there are viewing alternatives in case I don't make it all the way through.

Edit: accommodations for the audience size have been increased as announced tonight in the England show. I enjoyed it very much.

Posted by
2745 posts

Watching tonight’s show and they say they increased viewership to 10,000 and are at 5,500

Posted by
1925 posts

I have just finished viewing London and England. Very good. Tomorrow is Spain.

Each episode will be available on line sometime soon after the webinar so you can eventually get caught up.